Can a seller refuse to give a refund?

I purchased a pocket knife as a gift for my husband for our anniversary to replace one he lost. Unfortunately the one i purchased was too big so i sent it back and asked for a refund as the seller had the listing as "refunds accepted within 14 days"

The reply I got was that he wouldn't accept it and would send it straight back with no refund.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

abaca_1
Community Member
There are acceptable reasons for refunds. Incorrect product, defective product etc. Refunds are generally given for specific reasons. Before sending item back for refund you should contact seller with reason for return and get their RA or return authorisation. A seller generally will not give a refund for buyer remorse or if a buyer has not read item description completely before buying.
Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

Yes and no. Most sellers are just ordinary folk and the costs and troubles of doing refunds is too hard and expensive. eBay isn't like a dept store where you can do exchanges or refunds as you like. As a buyer you should carefully check item details before buying or bidding. It is always best to email the seller if there is a problem or issue before you return or make a claim. Most sellers are nice and easy to deal with. Others aren't. Most sellers require you to contact them before you return the item. Hopefully the seller will refund you instead of re shipping.
Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

As above, without knowing the full details of the seller's return policy, it's difficult to say one way or another whether you were entitled to a refund, but if a seller does accept change of mind returns (which would apply if the knife is fully operational, exactly as described etc) then they are almost always conditional (moreso than just limitations on time-frames - a seller's conditions for return can be found by clicking the postage & payments tab on the listing in question).

The most important thing is to communicate with the seller so that they understand the issue and authorise / expect the return before actually sending it back, as well as comply with any of the terms outlined in their policy (if you did, then the refund should have been granted).

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

In your message, you said you sent it back to him. Can I ask, did you contact him prior to sending it back or after? 

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

I agree with what everyone has said about contacting the seller first, sellers' rights to refuse refunds etc....

BUT,  wow, that would be silly on the seller's part to RTS after it has already been sent back.  Instead, he could just refund the purchase amount, minus the postage and other fees, AND get FVF back.  Why send it back  - principle???  He'll just end up with an unhappy buyer, and risk a big red dot.  

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

In the listing were there any measurements given as to the size of the pocket knife, or any indication it was bigger than normal?
Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

yes, seller refuses to give refund on stick vacuum ...since Jan 23 sent it back, Hubbed courriers said they returned it to ebay ..to and fro ,many emails since from me,  and now says  can I close the case first ! 

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

you are replying to a 10 y.o. thread....please start your own, as you will be directed by a Mod shortly, to do so

Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

As Twyn said.

But do not close the case,  that is an old trick as you will be letting them of the hook

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply