Can you insist ONLY on cash for pick up?

Looking at a few items from a buyer who has has some fairly aggressive listings.

He has numerous references in each listing of "Strickly  CASH ONLY for PICK UP items (paypal for shipped items only) "

Have there been anly changes that I am not aware of, can you do this in listings now?

Also he has an item listed for $185, but when you  read the discription he says "(PRICE FOR EACH and the SALE FOR A PAIR! OWNER WON'T SPLIT THEM!)". And then again further down the listing "This auction price is for 1 pot only but A PAIR sell together (just DOUBLE the price)"  Is this allowable too?

Just interested as an occasional seller, especially for the cash only description

Message 1 of 35
Latest reply
34 REPLIES 34

@tetibird wrote:

Looking at a few items from a buyer who has has some fairly aggressive listings.

He has numerous references in each listing of "Strickly  CASH ONLY for PICK UP items (paypal for shipped items only) "

Have there been anly changes that I am not aware of, can you do this in listings now?

I am a seller who prefers cash for pickup items, as if the buyer pays with PP, and then subsequently claims after picking it up, item not received, you have no way of proving that the item was actually picked up and not sent. 

There will be lots of poeple who disagree with this viewpoint, as it comes up quite often in the forums. 

Message 2 of 35
Latest reply

You ask if the examples are allowable.

No.

The seller is supposed to offer paypal or something similar, as well as a cash option. However, if i were going to buy from that seller, I would honour his wish for cash on pick up. It would only make for bad feeling otherwise, plus it works out well for a buyer as he or she can walk away if the item is not as described, with no hassles about getting money back etc

As for the ad about the pot, the answer is definitely no. If an item is listed as $185, it needs to be on sale for that. If the seller is only willing to sell the pots as a pair, he needs to photograph them that way and double the price and advertise them as a pair.

Message 3 of 35
Latest reply

Gumleaf I thoroughly agree with you, especially as on the rare occasions I sell it is usually bulky pick up items. As a buy I would rather pay on viewing too.

However the question is can you state cash only in a listing & MAKE people do this. Unless the rules have changed & I have missed this ?

Message 4 of 35
Latest reply

Thanks Springzone. Yes I would honour the request of the lister (although it is rather aggressive) for both their & my sake. Interesting couple of red dots for the seller - one for someone renigging on a cahs sale because a large flaw was not photographed or described & another by someone who did pay paypal but was asked to pay cash again on pickup. I think the seller just needs to go with it once the deed is done. I recently sold chairs that were bought & paid Paypal before I could blink & just had to go with the buyers wished.

Message 5 of 35
Latest reply

Very aggressive listings are a turn off, for sure.

I'd definitely be going with the cash option on payment though after seeing a neg about hidden flaws. Just for my own peace of mind.

I agree with you, if a buyer wants to pay by paypal, just accept it.

Message 6 of 35
Latest reply

There are some categories that you are not required to offer a safe payment method such as PayPal.

Vehicles is one, that includes trailers, caravans, boats, motorcycles.

Otherwise it is against the rules to offer PayPal and not accept it. (compulsory to offer PayPal in most categories)

I will put in a listing cash on pick up preferred also messaging the buyer suggesting this is the safest for both parties.

Stating it is safer for the buyer to inspect first, this often gains understanding and respect from the buyer.

There are of course those whom have a PayPal balance or voucher they want to use hence refusal is futile.

However, explaining that ID is required for protection upon pick up is a good idea.

So is noting the registration number of their vehicle.

That will all be handy should a fraudulent chargeback be instigated.

image host
Message 7 of 35
Latest reply

On the second point.

No, that listing is misleading or manipulates the searches.

If seller won't split the pair and they are 185 each then the price in the listing should be 370.

A reportable listing.

But perhaps a message first suggesting there is an error in the pricing and could confuse some buyers.

image host
Message 8 of 35
Latest reply

Kopenhagen - he has a red dot about that too - someone who thought it was for one (it was) & thought the pair was optional (it wasn't) which earned abuse from the seller.
Message 9 of 35
Latest reply

You've got my curiosity up.

Can you give us an item number please?

Message 10 of 35
Latest reply