Charged extra postage cost

I brought an item off eBay and paid for it, the price included a postage cost. When I recieved a slip from the post office that informed me I had a package to pick up, I went down to grab it and they told me I had to pay an extra $15 for postage which is twice the amount of the item I paid for. Can anyone tell me why this has happend? Has the seller added it on? Thanks
Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Sounds like they under paid on postage and just posted it so it is picked up your end with penalties for their stupidity.

If it stated free postage then the seller should have included that cost in the item price.

Did you pick it up and pay the $15?

If not then tell them to return to sender.

If you paid it and picked the item up then leave neg feedback for the seller and say underpays postage had to pay $15 to collect from PO

Then contact the seller and ask what they are playing at.

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

If you paid it and picked the item up then leave neg feedback for the seller and say underpays postage had to pay $15 to collect from PO

Then contact the seller and ask what they are playing at.

No need to leave a neg without giving the seller a chance.   If it is an experienced seller, they might not realise they had underpaid postage - if you contact them, they should repay you the money.   

Always contact your seller first, if there is a problem.    In fact, feedback screen also gives this advice.

If they don't refund, then is the time to consider feedback.

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

*inexperienced

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

Usually I would agree but often a seller will pack things into a 500gm satchel as they will fit in there even though it is well over the weight limit and just put it into a PO box leaving the buyer to pay the penalty and the extra not paid for where as if they had paid over the counter then the correct postage would be charged.

it is up to the seller to know the correct postage costs before they list.

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

There is one seller that does this constantly. packs 1.5 kilo into 500 gm satchels of course I had to pay an extra $5 + when I picked it up. I contacted the seller and told him and he at least refunded my the money. I asked him if this was the normal way he sent his packages and he said yes the post office don't care. Pffft.
I no longer buy my supplies off him.
Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

My understanding is that if the seller gives a return address, then they are the one who gets hit with the charges.

Was the seller's address on the parcel OP?

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

Dave I don't think that matters as my sellers return address was very clearly on the front on the parcel with a big
SENDER:
Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

Simply email the seller first before you do anything. Most sellers are happy to sort out any problems. I have had 100% satisfaction from all my sellers doing that method. I find if you go boots an all into anyone they will go out of their way to make it as hard as possible. Cost nothing to be polite first.

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply