Clothing prices are misleading/ wrong!

Most items I search for eg men's jackets, have a price that says eg $12.95 but as soon as I click on any of the available sizes the price jumps up to something totally different like $50

This is very misleading and how can so many of the listed items get away with it?

Thanks

Message 1 of 11
Latest reply
10 REPLIES 10

imastawka
Honored Contributor

They're all variations of the same thing, but maybe the size changes the price.

For instance a 3X large is going to take more material to make than a small

They must have a listing for $12.95 if that's what they list it at.

If they don't then report them.

Message 2 of 11
Latest reply

its not missleading if you buy knowing the $12.95 is not available and you choose a dearer item.

ive seen lots of chinese sellers doing it but i wouldnt buy if the item i wanted was either unavailabe or more expensive. usually their ads have 2 prices eg- $12.95 - $24.95. covering all the varients.

whats the item number of the item your talking about?

sometimes we buyers have to look at many sellers before we find the one with the right item at the right price.

Message 3 of 11
Latest reply

any, just search mens jacket for example. any nice looking jackets around $10 to $15 then click on it. no matter what colour or size theres none available for the price = false advertising

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/WINTER-MILITARY-Mens-Hooded-Trench-Coat-Long-Jacket-Windbreaker-Outerwear...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-Mens-Casual-Slim-Coat-Padded-Bomber-Jacket-Hooded-Baseball-Style-Over...

this one says $12.90 show me the size and colour for that

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Fashion-Mens-Outwear-Top-Warm-Long-Sleeve-Fleece-Jacket-Winter-Trench-Coa...

Message 4 of 11
Latest reply

@anicholls007 wrote:

this one says $12.90 show me the size and colour for that

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Fashion-Mens-Outwear-Top-Warm-Long-Sleeve-Fleece-Jacket-Winter-Trench-Coa...

White L

It's not the jacket, though, the picture changes to a white shirt.

Yes, it's an abuse of an otherwise very useful listing feature (for buyers and sellers) when used correctly, and yes it results in manipulation of search results, particularly when one is searching by price. 

But unfortunately eBay generally only ever do one of two things about problems like this - ignore it, or remove the feature that's being abused. (I'm sure that there might be some buyers who would cheer for the second option, but probably not for long, since it would result in categories being re-flooded by the same items with slight variations by all the sellers who are using the feature properly, and who I suspect are in the majority). 

Message 5 of 11
Latest reply

they all use the same thing, scroll to the last photo, its a basic shirt for about $13

Message 6 of 11
Latest reply

The examples given are all the same seller - with a laughable user id

OP, read their neg fb - I wouldn't buy from them

Message 7 of 11
Latest reply

theres a saying

if something sounds too good to be true it probably is

Message 8 of 11
Latest reply

It is predominantly Chinese sellers who use this tactic so to avoid them search by distance and they won't show up.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 9 of 11
Latest reply

@phorum_junkie* wrote:

It is predominantly Chinese sellers who use this tactic so to avoid them search by distance and they won't show up.

aww but then you wont get ads for expensive coats for $13

Message 10 of 11
Latest reply