Combined postage changing in checkout

Hi all

I used to buy/sell a lot on ebay, but haven't done so for a few years so I'm still getting used to all the changes.

I'm currently trying to figure out how on earth to do a payment on combined items as the postage changes. The seller combined them for me, and the adjusted postage (large satchel) has changed under my purchased items page. So originally it showed the individual post for each item (3 items), but now shows the total plus the combined post, so all good.

But when I click on the 'pay now' button, and go through to the invoice, the items revert back to the three separate lots of postage. So of course when I log into to Paypal, the postage shows as the non-combined total of $28+, rather than the combined total of $13.40.

I sent a message to the seller a few days ago, but haven't heard back yet. She definitely changed the invoice from three separate amounts of post to a combined amount, as it changed under purchases when I contacted her to let her know I was finished bidding.

Anything I can do, or do I just need to wait until I hear back from the seller?

TIA.

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: Combined postage changing in checkout

lemmayj
Community Member

I'd try with a different browser (or with a computer if you're doing it on a phone, as the ebay phone app is notoriously glitchy).

Message 2 of 17
Latest reply

rjm6572
Community Member

if you dont have the right postage wait till you hear from the seller, with the easter break they could be away

Message 3 of 17
Latest reply

Are you using the ebay app? There have been some problems with items not combining..

Also, did you receive an invoice via email from the seller? if you have it often won't show in the ebay checkout so you'll have to go to the invoice that you've been sent (if you've been sent one) and click on the "Pay Now" option on the new invoice

You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means
Message 4 of 17
Latest reply

Thanks everyoneSmiley Happy

I didn't even think to check my email for the invoice, of course! Hopefully it's there.

I'm actually using an outdated browser too, we are still using XP so have an old version of IE, and I've had issues with displaying a lot of things on ebay. I'll run Chrome and see if it makes a difference.

Message 5 of 17
Latest reply

Just wanted to update as I heard from the seller yesterday Smiley Happy

She had no idea the amounts were changing, as she's fairly new to selling, and was absolutely lovely. It made me realise how utterly confusing all the changes have been as checkout is totally different to what I used to use, and I've been totally lost with some of it despite previously selling for 4-5 years!

So far I've only listed and sold one item, and have to admit I was frustrated when trying to amend post for that one item (I found I could send it cheaper). Each time I changed it, it would change back when I went to send the invoice. So I'm thinking it's going to get seriously confusing when I start listing regularly and combining post. Is there any particular help section that has some detailed and easy to follow (a must with four kidlets and the resulting brain fog lol) instructions?

Obviously I was lucky as I had a truly lovely seller who was as lost as I was, but I would love to catch up on all the changes before I start listingSmiley Happy

TIA.

Message 6 of 17
Latest reply

when changing the postage amount on your invoice, don't hit "recalculate" just hit either preview or send. Recalculate really should be called "return to original or something".

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 7 of 17
Latest reply

Or move to another auction site as from May 6 you are being encouraged to offer "free postage" and combining that is a huge nightmare.

Also you will be paying final value fee on postage as well so what you currently charge $13.40 for will actually cost you $15.20 with ebay adding on the 9.9% final value fee and paypal taking their cut as well.

Message 8 of 17
Latest reply

I currently charge $12.00 for the equivalent service others charge $13.40 for. So 9.5% of $12 = $1.14, total $13.14.

Or I could use eBay's label system, which gives me a 10% discount on the postage, which pretty much brings my (and the buyers') cost back to $12.00.

And Paypal fees have always included the total transaction amount, so your reference is spurious at best, misleading in reality. The extra $1.34 you claim will only attract an extra 3c in Paypal fees.

Let's see. $13.40 postage = $1.33 more FVF (at 9.9%). Plus the 3c Paypal extra mentioned above. $1.36. Not quite the $1.80 you quoted. Might I ask where you derived that figure from?

Sheesh.

Message 9 of 17
Latest reply

@haolove13 wrote:

Or move to another auction site as from May 6 you are being encouraged to offer "free postage" and combining that is a huge nightmare.

Also you will be paying final value fee on postage as well so what you currently charge $13.40 for will actually cost you $15.20 with ebay adding on the 9.9% final value fee and paypal taking their cut as well.

Yep move to another auction site and you wont have to worry about fees, neither will you have to worry about sending invoices, let alone having to pack and post anything.

-------------------------------

ASSUMPTION IS THE MOTHER OF ALL STUFF UPS!!
Message 10 of 17
Latest reply