Counterfeit sunglasses

ozzyark
Community Member

I recently bought a pair of Maui Jim sunglasses, I wasn't paying attention & unfortunately they came from a dodgy Chinese seller & they are counterfeit. 

So I put in a return, he supplied what he calls is a return label, all it seems to be is something with an address on it, there is nothing for Australia Post to scan etc... 

So how would I have proof of postage & it seems you only have so long for it to be returned, going back to China could take ages.... 

No wonder I don't use Ebay much any more.... 

So much easier elsewhere. 

Do I just wait until I can contact ebay ( a real person) & explain the return label is dodgy? 

Or what? 

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

Re: Counterfeit sunglasses

It appears you don't know how eBay works. Sandy has far more experience than you. Maybe take on board the advice you are given rather than attacking members who don't give you the answer you want.

Message 11 of 14
Latest reply

@ozzyark,

There’s really no need to be combative… The posters here are pointing out ways to avoid bad sellers taking advantage of you.

They’re highly experienced and know how eBay works - by experience and by having g read eBay’s help and policy pages.

As twyngwyn has said, the “your item has been posted” message is a misnaming by eBay when a tracking number has been generated. It’s not the seller telling eBay that they’ve shipped. 

It is a minor segue though. More importantly, the return postage label. Was it given within the dispute?

Message 12 of 14
Latest reply

So you get a message from ebay indicating your item has been  posted, so what, as soon as you go to tracking,  it will have shipment notification received, (or words to that effect).

The next tracking event, IE: 1st Valid shipping event, will state the exact time and date the item was physically shipped, and this must be within the sellers stated handling time, or the seller forfeits ebay protection.

So NO!, ebay does not accept the initial shipment notification as proof of postage

Message 13 of 14
Latest reply

@ozzyark wrote:

Guess you don't know how ebay works! 

They encourage sellers to post things quickly.... 

So what sellers are doing are supplying a tracking number as if it's been shipped... 

And EBAY are accepting it as proof of POSTING! 

When in actual fact the seller doesn't actually ship it until days later! 

Ebay does want sellers to post within their agreed time range, which you'll see in the ad (eg X business days or whatever) but what you are talking about, the tracking number being supplied before an item has actually been taken to a post office, is standard right across every sales site, not just ebay.

If you read the wording carefully, you'll see in an email-maybe from Myer, Vistaprint, wherever, that the message will be that a tracking number has been supplied or allocated.

I bought an absolute heap of stuff online before Xmas and in some emails (not ebay ones) the top of the email would say-Good news! Your item is on its way!

What they really mean is the process has started.

Keep looking at your emails as the next one should follow within a day or two and it will say something such as 'Received at such and such a post office for processing at such and such a time'. That's when you know it is really on its way. If a seller posts in a post box instead of over the counter, you may not even see that or any sign of it in the system for a few more days.

But on ebay, as opposed to other sites, you don't really have to worry too much about the tracking but more about the expected delivery dates. As long as your item arrives within that time, then the seller has fulfilled his obligations to you & it doesn't matter if he posted eg 48 hours after generating a postage label.

If your item doesn't arrive by the due dates, you are able to open a claim on ebay, so it is in the seller's own interest to arrange things to arrive by then & most do.

Message 14 of 14
Latest reply