Customs seized goods. Can I get a refund

wise.guy.sam
Community Member
Hi all,

I recently purchased some rogain hair treatment product from a seller from the US. This is not the first time I have purchased this and each time I have not had a problem. Until today.

My package had been opened and the goods have been seized for being dangerous by Australian Customs. I'm not sure why this has been overlooked before but if it is against the rules to import this to Aus than fair enough.

However I did spend about $55 (+$13 shipping) and wanted to know if I can claim this from the seller. I have no doubt that he sent the goods but I obviously haven't been able to receive them. I don't want to leave him short but if he is the sender does that make him responsible.

Has anyone had a problem with this before and/or have any advice for me.

Thanks,
Message 1 of 54
Latest reply
53 REPLIES 53

According to eBay's policy, the seller is responsible for complying with import and export regulations
Message 21 of 54
Latest reply

Nope, the buyer is responsible for knowing their own country's importation policies.

A 6 year old thread and nothing has changed.

Capture.PNG

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 22 of 54
Latest reply

The OP is not entitled to a refund if the goods were seized by Customs.

It is not the seller's fault that the buyer does not know what can be imported into any country....the buyer is supposed to know that.

Ebay is very specific that no efund is applicable in the event of a Customs seizure.

Message 23 of 54
Latest reply

Hopefully you may be able to get a refund๐Ÿคž. I would try anyway, No harm in that.
Message 24 of 54
Latest reply

I would try too.

But I suspect after SIX YEARS the window of opportunity is firmy closed.

I realise you probably have more experience with this than most, so how many refunds have you conned sellers into?

Message 25 of 54
Latest reply

@michellebartley wrote:

. I would try anyway, No harm in that.

Except that it's certainly not the seller's fault that the buyer hasn't checked to see if their import is restricted by Australian Customs.

I imagine that if/when eBay or Paypal found it was a claim outside their policies they would be quickly either denying the claim, or attempting to recover any funds paid out by them to the buyer. It could then end up as a black mark against the buyer for a fraudulent claim in the first place.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 26 of 54
Latest reply

I bribe them, I don't con it's too tacky.
Message 27 of 54
Latest reply

Bribe? With what? You don't have a legal leg to stand on.

Message 28 of 54
Latest reply

"Tongue in cheek" comment only. Is there a possibility you can take your poisoned fangs elsewhere. ๐Ÿ˜ 
Message 29 of 54
Latest reply

@michellebartley wrote:
Hopefully you may be able to get a refund๐Ÿคž. I would try anyway, No harm in that.

the harm is to your reputation and character.

As has been pointed out directly to you and others, buyers are responsible for checking whether items are allowed to be imported into their country AND for all customs fees and/or duties.

I guess it is just the way I was brought up that would stop me from doing something so brazen like seeking a refund from a seller because of my actions or incompetence in buying before checking customs requirements and charges/fees.

I wouldnโ€™t, however, ever try to import an item that I know to be banned from import . . . . like weapons, foods, grains, seeds, plants etc. thus lessening the likelihood of any item I buy from being confiscated by customs.

Trying to import banned items is fraught with danger and the financial penalties are getting higher and higher (for good reason).

Message 30 of 54
Latest reply