Customs seized goods. Can I get a refund

wise.guy.sam
Community Member
Hi all,

I recently purchased some rogain hair treatment product from a seller from the US. This is not the first time I have purchased this and each time I have not had a problem. Until today.

My package had been opened and the goods have been seized for being dangerous by Australian Customs. I'm not sure why this has been overlooked before but if it is against the rules to import this to Aus than fair enough.

However I did spend about $55 (+$13 shipping) and wanted to know if I can claim this from the seller. I have no doubt that he sent the goods but I obviously haven't been able to receive them. I don't want to leave him short but if he is the sender does that make him responsible.

Has anyone had a problem with this before and/or have any advice for me.

Thanks,
Message 1 of 54
Latest reply
53 REPLIES 53

the onus on clearing thru Customs is the Buyers, so NO you cannot expect the Seller to refund.

Customs & Quaranteen will have sent you a letter/notification as to why the goods were inspected and seized and/or destroyed.

if their letter to you is not clear you can phone them and using the reference number speak to an officer.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
~~ ~~ ~~ Those who do right, have nothing to fear.
Message 2 of 54
Latest reply

Yes, they like to send you really long letters.. And after this they'll prob be watching you now, it happened to me when I tried to import a slingshot

You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means
Message 3 of 54
Latest reply

As suggested, I would contact the customs department to get clarification on it's importation to Australia.

image host
Message 4 of 54
Latest reply

wise.guy.sam
Community Member
Thanks for the prompt response. I'll give customs a call and suss it out. Glad I asked, I wouldn't want to cause problems for the seller if it's not his issue.

That's a real damn shame and a costly mistake.
Message 5 of 54
Latest reply

You can buy Regaine within Australia from online chemists, and probably from actual storefronts as well.

Customs inspections are random, which is why your imports hadn't been seized before.

Message 6 of 54
Latest reply

cq_tech
Community Member

Yes, they like to send you really long letters.. And after this they'll prob be watching you now, it happened to me when I tried to import a slingshot

Same here when I tried to import a slingshot last year. Received a nice, long official letter "warning" me not to do it again, but as it turned out, I didn't need to.

Patch, for future reference, you can buy slingshots and spare rubbers (& ball bearings, etc.) locally from almost any Outdoors & Camping store. Only difference is you'll pay 3X the price, that's all. ๐Ÿ˜‰

So why are they banned imports if they're readily available in local stores? I've no idea, but you can bet the law applies to a lot of items which should normally be allowed into the country.

Message 7 of 54
Latest reply

I thought slingshots were an illegal weapon, but that might depend on State law. When my son was attending the PCYC in Townsville for afterschool care I was called into the policemans office to be told my son was manufacturing illegal weapons... a rubber band and rolled up balls of paper between his fingers.  I thought it was a joke but the cop seemed quite serious so I asked what was the point he was trying to make. He just wanted it clear that although rolled up balls of paper are harmless slingshots are still illegal.

Message 8 of 54
Latest reply

You can buy slingshots and spare rubbers (& ball bearings, etc.) locally from almost any Outdoors & Camping store.

Not where I live you can't... Apparently they are not legal in NSW unless you have a permit, but you can buy them in QLD at the markets!.. We have an Army disposals/camping goods/gun shop but you can't buy them there anymore

Message 9 of 54
Latest reply

aus, from what I read of the importations list involving weapons, you can't import them in to Australia, but it's ok to make your own.. That policeman needs to read up on his restricted weapons list and state laws.. They are legal for sale in QLD, I've seen them on a camping goods website, and you can apparently buy them at some markets

Message 10 of 54
Latest reply