Damaged in the mail - I tried to fix - ended up breaking it

Hi guys, an item I bought (a second hand internal hard drive) was damaged in the mail, it appears. Two of the pins were bent. 

I thought, no biggie, I'll straighten them. One of these pins broke off.

So what recourse do I have, considering this? None? I didn't take photos as I thought I could fix it.

Message 1 of 13
Latest reply
12 REPLIES 12

Re: Damaged in the mail - I tried to fix - ended up breaking it

@kitschkoven wrote:

Why, would sellers usually be confrontational?

Some of them can be.

In this case, I don't feel you were lucky as such, I feel that any ethical seller should have offered a refund. Two reasons.

One, it isn't as if the main problem was you playing around with the item and accidentally breaking it.  That's a secondary matter.

The main problem was it arrived in damaged condition in the first place.

Two.  As a buyer, all power was with you. You could very easily have opened a claim for a faulty item and stated it arrived like that, with a broken pin. But you didn't. You told the whole truth. You're an honest buyer so an honest seller should respond in like spirit.

But it does signal that this is a reliable seller and one who values his business so it is worth giving positive feedback.

Message 11 of 13
Latest reply

The item was already broken, you guys. It was damaged in the mail. You can't connect a hard drive when some of the pins are bent. It was not in usable condition. 

Message 12 of 13
Latest reply

To be quite honest - I don't think there is anyone here who would not have attempted the same Kit - it was damaged in the post.

Message 13 of 13
Latest reply