Delivery time well beyond expected.

Hi all, I understand the post is very slow at the moment, but I have an item coming from WA to Central NSW, that was sent on 9th of this month, and arrived in Sydney 4 days later, as per the tracking, but no events have shown since, and still no delivery. I have been communicating with the seller, a B&M store, whom I have purchased from several times before, but they are insisting that it will still arrive, it is ''not lost''. I have done the communicating via the Ebay system, and after tomorrow I can escalate it to a claim. It is not a cheap item. I totally beleive the seller has posted the item, as they have a good record with me and pretty much everyone else, but I cant afford to just ''drop'' almost $300. As it is almost 3 weeks since payment was made, and item shipped, I dont think I am being unreasonable in escalating with Ebay. I mean, how long do we have to give a seller, or Aust Post to find something lost in the system? How long is a  piece of string, I guess. Any opinions much appreciated. I dont like this anymore than a decent seller would, but someone has to bite the bullet on it.

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Why does someone have to bite the bullet,  you would only be holding the seller to account, yet you agree they have sent the item and tracking is available.   I sent an item from Qld to Perth, 4 weeks for delivery, the buyer claimed INR despite knowing item was on its way, luckily for me the item was delivered within 12 hrs of the buyer being able to claim a refund.

So really, why punish the seller when you know that the delivery is out of their control.

Message 2 of 17
Latest reply

Wait a few more working days as delivery is out of the sellers control once posted.

IF you do escalate and get a refund PLEASE be one the few honest buyers there is and repay once you receive it.

Message 3 of 17
Latest reply

I agree with GP, I'm in SW WA and 4 weeks from Eastern States is not unusual for delivery times, also tracking scans at the moment appear to be very much hit-and-miss with items suddenly appearing in my PO box when the last scan was in Sydney or Melbourne.

Give it another week or so before worrying too much I reckon.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 4 of 17
Latest reply

@audistarelectronics,

I understand that worry, of course!

Looking at it in terms of business days, it's taken about 14 business days to date. While that's quite a while to wait, it isn't unusual in these bizarre times. In particular, it must be chaotic in Sydney at the moment as your State fights to contain outbreaks in an attempt to stop what's happening here in Melbourne from happening over there. I imagine that the whole chain of post offices and postal workers and couriers and deliverers is disrupted.

If tomorrow is the earliest you can escalate to a claim, I would - were I in your situation - hold off a bit longer. You can afford to hold off until 30 days from the latest Estimated Delivery Date (or, to play it safe, say no later than 25 days from the latest EDD, or whatever timeframe best suits you). You say that the seller is a reputable B&M store, so your issue is certainly not with a fear that the seller is stringing you along, but rather with what appears to be a postal delay.

Have you tried phoning Australia Post? You can also make an online enquiry where the online form is sent to AP with your concerns. From experience, I can say that AP will almost certainly contact you quite soon after that, and do their best to give you any updated information.

If this is a seller from whom you enjoy purchasing, and from whom you'd like to purchase again, bear in mind that the seller may consider buyers who raise disputes during a time when postage timeframes have ballooned and everything is especially chaotic to be buyers with whom they'd rather not deal in future.

You'd not be losing anything by holding fire for, say, another week, and certainly by chasing up AP to see whether they have additional details about where the package might be at this point.

You'd be within your rights to open a dispute once the system allows you to. My view is simply that you have a 30-day window from that time to open a dispute, and there is good reason to suppose that postage delays due to COVID-19 are affecting delivery times... hence I would be holding off at this stage.

Whatever decision you make, remember that you're covered. Your $300 is not going to be lost, whether you open a claim tomorrow, or whether you open the claim a little later (or up to 30 days later).

If it helps, I'm only just now receiving some items that I'd ordered three weeks ago from major retailers in NSW. (I'm in outer metropolitan Melbourne.) I expected the delays and was not perturbed by the slow delivery times.

Good luck!

Message 5 of 17
Latest reply

@audistarelectronics wrote:

Hi all, I understand the post is very slow at the moment, but I have an item coming from WA to Central NSW, that was sent on 9th of this month, and arrived in Sydney 4 days later, as per the tracking, but no events have shown since, and still no delivery. I have been communicating with the seller, a B&M store, whom I have purchased from several times before, but they are insisting that it will still arrive, it is ''not lost''. I have done the communicating via the Ebay system, and after tomorrow I can escalate it to a claim. It is not a cheap item. I totally beleive the seller has posted the item, as they have a good record with me and pretty much everyone else, but I cant afford to just ''drop'' almost $300. As it is almost 3 weeks since payment was made, and item shipped, I dont think I am being unreasonable in escalating with Ebay. I mean, how long do we have to give a seller, or Aust Post to find something lost in the system? How long is a  piece of string, I guess. Any opinions much appreciated. I dont like this anymore than a decent seller would, but someone has to bite the bullet on it.

Hi audistarelectronics . sorry to hear of your issue. That is a long time for an inter state shipping. Possiblky do as  *sparklz* suggested and maybe give it a couple or so more working days. However there could be a couple of possibilites. Incorrect adressing or the label has come off / become hard to read. However your money is tied up in this and you need to make sure that you get what you paid for or have meoney back. Having seen you around here before, I have no doubt that if by chance you put in a claim and get a refund and the item eventually arrives, you'll see the seller right.

Hopefully all will work out fine.

Message 6 of 17
Latest reply

Not unusual - WA stuff has been pretty slow of late. I wouldn't be worrying yet - see what the situation is on Monday. As Padi said, scanning isn't consistent, and I've also experienced items suddenly arriving in my PO box after several intermediate scans seemingly being missed.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 7 of 17
Latest reply

Thanks to all for the feedback on this. I will wait until next Mondays mail before escalating. The frustrating part of this is that it gets from WA to Sydney in a few days, then gets lost in the wash. Chullora must be a total disaster at the moment.

Message 8 of 17
Latest reply

Chullora is not a disaster.....just a very large sorting centre where mail can get lost.

Have you actually contacted Australia Post about the missing parcel?

Message 9 of 17
Latest reply

If something is going to have  a problem, as far as I'm concerned anyway, it is always in Chullora, I have never had issues with parcels that dont have to go through there. Yes, I have made contact with them, the seller has also. No joy from them so far, as I expected.

Message 10 of 17
Latest reply