Dick Smith goes into receivership

gec2002
Community Member

"Electronics retailer Dick Smith has gone into receivership, with Ferrier Hodgson appointed to run the firm following a failure to secure adequate funding to support the business."

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2016-01-05/dick-smith-enters-voluntary-administration/7067798

Unfortunately a lot of customers may lose money, with gift cards not being honoured etc.

---------------------------------------------------
Profanity is no substitute for wit.
Message 1 of 25
Latest reply
24 REPLIES 24

Re: Dick Smith goes into receivership

?of course you can walk in and grab something, I would ask first though and stand my ground.
Message 21 of 25
Latest reply

heiter22
Community Member

I bought a Laptop here from the Ebay Dicksmith Store, paid the money and never received it. I sent several times an email asking when the laptop will arrive and never got a reply, only a reply saying that due to large volume of emails it takes longer until they can reply to me. Finally the Dicksmith store replied to me with the following after about 6 weeks of purchase:

'We have reviewed your order and contacted the store, it appears that your order was cancelled on 13 January 2016 and a refund request was sent for processing.
The store also informed that they have got two display items and there are no plans to replenish the product.

Regarding your refund, due to being under receivership we cannot issue refund for products purchased before 5th January 2016. You may submit a claim as an unsecured creditor to the Groupโ€™s Administrators, McGrath Nicol.'

I submitted this claim as unsecured creditor last year in February 2016. I asked a few times via email about an outcome and was asked to wait. Today I called McGrath Nicol and they said its very unlikely I will receive a refund. Then I contacted ebay and they told me they cannot help as their refund policy is only a 30 day timeframe after purchase. 

So it looks like at this stage, there is nothing I can do. I lost the money without receiving any product. I find it shocking that apparently unsecured creditors do not receive their money back. There were court cases and I wonder how that outcome is manageable with alignment to consumer laws?!

I am posting this here and appreciate if anyone has an idea what else I could try or to inform me how that is legally possible?

Thanks

Message 22 of 25
Latest reply

As you were told, you are an unsecured creditor and it is very unikely you will get any money back.

Why did you not open a paypal dispute when you first realised the item would not arrive.

Message 23 of 25
Latest reply

You have lost your money.

As lyndal said, if the item didn't arrive when it was due, you should have opened an item not received claim then and got your money back via the ebay system.

Just because you buy from a well known store name makes no difference. If an item doesn't arrive in time, give it a few days in case of the post running late, but that is it. Don't let any seller fob you off or delay you past the time you can make a claim.

That is about the only advantage you have by buying via ebay and you didn't use it. Too late now but remember for next time.

Message 24 of 25
Latest reply

This an extremely long shot, however at this point you have nothing to lose.  Dick Smith was taken over by Kogan Pty Ltd., approach them and explain your story.  I doubt they will replace or refund, however they may give you a Discount Voucher as a sign of good faith.

Note, they are under no obligation to do anything, but then again you have nothing to lose.

---------------------------------------------------
Profanity is no substitute for wit.
Message 25 of 25
Latest reply