Did not open case with eBay within 30 days, no protection at all?

Hi everyone, I am facing a quite stupid question, hope can get some suggestion from the community.

I made a purchase from a US seller, it supposes to be delivered on 21 Dec 2020, but I never received it. Because so many reasons, I did not open a case with eBay until mid of Feb. And eBay closed the case in favour of the seller because I should open the case within 30 days, and eBay don't care about the fact that the item was never delivered.

I did not open the case with eBay because when FedEx tried to deliver the item, I was not home, and I left with a card without telling me where to pick it up, I contact FedEx customer support, they have no idea as well, and told me they will look for it. Because of Covid, Christmas, New Year, I am expecting they will be quite slow, and I did not know I am only protected for 30 days from eBay.

I got a call in mid-Feb from FedEx, who told me that the item has been lost during the transaction, and they will compensate the seller.

The seller has the FedEx compensation and my money, and don't reply to my message.

I opened a case with PayPal and my bank, but PayPal closed the case because I have opened the case with my bank.

My question is whether opening the case with my bank is a right move, or I should have left the case to PayPal.

Any other ways that I can get my money back. The item value is $2500AUD.

Thanks

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Did not open case with eBay within 30 days, no protection at all?

Herein lies the problem:

I got a call in mid-Feb from FedEx, who told me that the item has been lost during the transaction, and they will compensate the seller.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge than me (I don't sell internationally) will come along....this is BS

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

You should have waited for paypal to decide the case.

The rules are very clear........you can only open one case at a time.

The correct order is ebay then paypal if that fails and finally a bank chargeback.

I hope your bank chargeback will be successful as you have done your dash with ebay and paypal.

Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

@ibeyondwu wrote:

Hi everyone, I am facing a quite stupid question, hope can get some suggestion from the community.

I made a purchase from a US seller, it supposes to be delivered on 21 Dec 2020, but I never received it. Because so many reasons, I did not open a case with eBay until mid of Feb. And eBay closed the case in favour of the seller because I should open the case within 30 days, and eBay don't care about the fact that the item was never delivered.

I did not open the case with eBay because when FedEx tried to deliver the item, I was not home, and I left with a card without telling me where to pick it up, I contact FedEx customer support, they have no idea as well, and told me they will look for it. Because of Covid, Christmas, New Year, I am expecting they will be quite slow, and I did not know I am only protected for 30 days from eBay.

The seller has the FedEx compensation and my money, and don't reply to my message.

I opened a case with PayPal and my bank, but PayPal closed the case because I have opened the case with my bank.

My question is whether opening the case with my bank is a right move, or I should have left the case to PayPal.

Any other ways that I can get my money back. The item value is $2500AUD.

Thanks

Firstly, I don't think it is a stupid question at all. If you've never had trouble before with a purchase, you wouldn't necessarily know the procedure. I can quite understand that when FedEx told you they would look for it, you would have allowed extra time over the Christmas period.

As you have discovered, you can't really afford to take anything into consideration at all, you have to keep within the time lines.

As Lyndal said, the best order is ebay (you have 30 days) then paypal (180 days). You can't do it in the reverse order, If an ebay claim doesn't work, you can then try paypal but not vice versa. 

I wish you good luck with the bank claim. You by rights should not have to be opening paypal or bank claims, that seller has the refund and your messages and should have refunded you at least in part by now. Very poor behaviour on the part of that seller.

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply