Dodgy sellers getting away with it

There are plenty dodgy sellers getting away with it on ebay. the trust is completely being breached.

There are sellers listing BRAND NEW mobile phones that are located in Sydney or Melbourne etc.

But they are well used mobile phones, one came to me in the wrong model box, accessories opened, scratches on phone and it didnt even boot up.

The item was listed as location in Sydney but it takes 2 weeks to deliver from Sydney to Sydney?? please..  The delivery times simply do not evidence the location of the item as being locally.

Then when I look to return item, Paypal tell me to send it to Malaysia. Ridiculous if it was sent to me from Sydney as described.

These sellers are dodgy as can be, the items are not located in Sydney, they are located overseas and the items described as Brand new are obviously used and lucky to even be in working condition.

Why does ebay allow this? BAn these dodgy sellers, NEW means NEW and location should be as described.

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Mobile phones and electonics are items that you should be buying in a B&M store or a big box seller that has reselling authorisation of the product, so that you get a real warranty for the item.

You also need to be more aware of the seller's feedback before dealing with them (the feedback page will tell you where they are registered - and that is where the item is likely to come from.)

Don't use a high-volume seller with less than 99.5% feedback, that's only asking for trouble.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 19
Latest reply

I have bought a few phones on ebay and every one of them as been dishonest, from different sellers too.

All described as BRAND NEW sealed in the box and none of them were brand new and sealed in the box.

2 of the 3 that I bought were not in operating condition. The third was working but not brand new.

I receved a refund for the two broken phones but why do we have to go through all the **bleep** when the sellers have been dishonest to begin with.

Message 3 of 19
Latest reply

good advice.

But Ebay allows these cowboys to blatantly cheat.  they need to put a stop to it..

The biggest driver of online purchasing is "TRUST"

without it the model falls to water.

Message 4 of 19
Latest reply

@vitalproperty wrote:

But Ebay allows these cowboys to blatantly cheat.  they need to put a stop to it..

You could report those sellers for misleading advertising until the cows come home, eBay Australia can only forward the complaint to the Asian country that seller is registered  - and that country's eBay will do nothing about it.

"Caviat Emptor"

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 5 of 19
Latest reply

People need to stop buying from these scamming scumbags and keeping them in business

Most of the feedbacks for those sellers say over and over the seller is dodgey as

Of course the sellers are going to keep being dodgey when people choose to keep on keeping them in the $$$ 

eBay *should* do a lot of things but in the real world it ain't going to happen

Message 6 of 19
Latest reply

I totally agree with you that trust is a major thing for any selling site.

What others are saying here about phones & some other electronics on ebay being as dodgy as... and Asian sellers teflon coated when it comes to getting any conequences to stick, is all true.

But the trouble is, although those of us on the boards have been around long enough to have seen so many complaints about phones etc, we can't expect casual ebay users to know that. In fact, if we start having to say, don't ever buy this and don't even think of touching that etc, then a casual buyer might just throw up his hands and say-I don't want to have to remember exactly what i can and cannot buy, if it is this dodgy I'll avoid the site. full stop.

If your item came not as described, if the item was listed as being in Australia, I'd be ringing ebay to object to being asked to send it back to Malaysia. Point out the item location was Sydney and you expect a Sydney address to return it to.

In future, all you can do is if a seller has allowed an unusual amount of time before the expected delivery date, be suspicious, check out where the seller is registered, check out the feedback. Don't buy.

That delivery date estimate is vital & it can be a guide to some of the dodgy ones.

You wouldn't have to do this in a perfect world, but the reality is you do need to check things out. Ebay is not one sales site as such, it is thousands of sellers and while a lot are great, some definitely are not.

Message 7 of 19
Latest reply

"Why does ebay allow this?"

BRRRRR....wrong question Hans.

Why do buyers NOT look at sellers feedback BEFORE buying?

The last two negs you left are for sellers with already extremely poor feedback.

Th e feedback also CLEARLY shows where these sellers are based.

Message 8 of 19
Latest reply

@vitalproperty wrote:

I have bought a few phones on ebay and every one of them as been dishonest, from different sellers too.

All described as BRAND NEW sealed in the box and none of them were brand new and sealed in the box.

2 of the 3 that I bought were not in operating condition. The third was working but not brand new.

I receved a refund for the two broken phones but why do we have to go through all the **bleep** when the sellers have been dishonest to begin with.

Why would you keep buying phones from overseas sellers when this keeps happening?

When something goes wrong why repeat the exercise and expect a different result?

Message 9 of 19
Latest reply

check the listings from these sellers, they describe sydney as the item location.

Also they say express delivery and then it takes 2-3 weeks. They blame australia post abour delays.

IF an item says BRAND NEW, there is no ifs or buts, its either brand new or its not.

The sellers are shonky if they send anything but brand new items.

The casual ebay user has an expectation that brand new is exactly that.. BRAND NEW

what other interpretation of brand new is there?

Message 10 of 19
Latest reply