Dodgy sellers

Why the hell are eBay not weeding out some of these really dodgy sellers and banning their IP address permently.

Message 1 of 24
Latest reply
23 REPLIES 23

Re: Dodgy sellers

Are the sellers here or registered in China

*IF* they are in China, eBay Australia can't/won't stop them

BUT if people stopped buying from these scammers, who have hundreds and hundreds of negs it certainly would help

One could also ask why do eBay allow dodgey buyers to lie lie and scam, and reward them for doing so ?

Have you reported the seller(s) and/ or opened the appropraite disputes if you've needed to?

Message 2 of 24
Latest reply

Same could be said of serial neggers-good grief you have some issues Woman Frustrated

Message 3 of 24
Latest reply

Oh and just noticed your id photo contains profanity so I took the liberty of reporting to ebay on your

behalf-no need to thank me as happy to help 🙂

Message 4 of 24
Latest reply

Smiley LOLSmiley LOLSmiley LOLSmiley LOLSmiley LOL

Message 5 of 24
Latest reply

Is it just my impression or is it correct that people who come on here to complain (etc) about "dodgy sellers" and who show up as serial neggers and complainers are disproportionately car parts/accesories buyers?

Message 6 of 24
Latest reply

Yes and why buy cheap chinese parts and then complain that they don't meet AU standards lol.

Message 7 of 24
Latest reply

@grey_lycan,

If you wish to avoid dodgy sellers, your best strategy is to stop purchasing from them. eBay will not stop sellers registered on eBay.cn or eBay.com.my (etc.) from selling. Chinese eBay sellers do not come under Australian consumer legislation. eBay.com.au has no jurisdiction over eBay.cn. eBay is just so thankful to have so much as a toehold in China to even consider taking any action that would jeopardise its very minimal presence in China.

For a potted history of eBay's efforts in China, and why eBay won't upset China,

Spoiler
... see this thread (in particular, click onto the spoiler). Bear in mind that China's laws do not treat Intellectual Property in the same way as Australian laws, US laws, UK laws, etc., etc., etc. The Chinese government has a vision for China's position in global trading - called Made in China 2025 - which is a very serious threat to a free international economy; see this ABC article and this ABC article. The Chinese government is subsidising - heavily - the very sellers that you call "dodgy", as well as other Chinese heavy-hitters in technology. It also subsidises postage/shipping to the extent that Australian sellers haven't a hope of competing with Chinese sellers on the basis of postage cost. It's cheaper for a Chinese seller to send something to your address in Australia than it is for a legitimate Australian business located two streets away from you.

For a quick overview of China's respect for trade secrets, proprietary manufacturing processes or formulae, and IP in general:

Spoiler

❝China has been repeatedly accused of stealing the trade secrets it desires, using cyberespionage to strike "US commercial networks in line with Chinese industrial policy goals," according to the Office of the United States Trade Representative.

It has also been accused of using its strict market access rules in order to obtain intellectual property from foreign competitors.

China requires foreign firms to start joint ventures with local companies in order to gain access to its lucrative market. Those companies are also often required to share their intellectual property with the local Chinese company they partner with.

In the end, Chinese firms end up gaining the advanced technology of foreign companies without needing to compete with them in the Chinese market, thanks to heavy government subsidies.❞

Every time - every single time - than an Australian buyer purchases from a dodgy Chinese seller, it's encouraging China's Made in China 2025 global strategy, which ipso facto means doing damage to the Australian economy as well as to the global economy outside China. Yes, we have an important industrial relationship with China, but we're tipping more and more power into the Chinese side of the see-saw.

(Purchasing from an Australian company who has the goods manufactured in China is already one step removed from benefiting the Australian economy and job market as a whole... in the long term... but purchasing from a Chinese seller who isn't under contract to an Australian company and thus doesn't need to meet minimum safety levels, Australian standards, quality control to ensure the required components and raw materials are used... that's something I have deplored for a long time.)

I'm explaining this not only for you, but because I think it's the least that I can do to try to show at least some Australian eBay buyers what is at risk here. Save a few dollars - for our long-term collapse. Grab a bargain - and see sub-standard zero-quality-controlled items continue to flood the Australian market. Tell ourselves we're being very very smart by not paying the RRP (or the lowest price available from an Australian authorised seller) and put ourselves, our homes and our families at risk of destruction, injury, death (because of complete indifference to Australian standards for electrical goods)...

Australian regulatory compliance marks:

Spoiler

There are regulations that apply to the supply of electrical equipment and appliances. The requirements set out in the regulations must be followed. A failure to do so is a criminal offence.

Regulations and Standards apply to all electrical equipment sold or offered for supply in Australia.    Certain types of equipment are classified as prescribed. These pieces of equipment must go through a certification process which ensures the equipment is compliant to the relevant safety standards before being offered for supply in Australia.

Regulatory Compliance Mark (RCM)

Prescribed electrical products must have an RCM on the appliance or an Australian approval number to show that the product has been certified.
This mark is currently recognised by all States and Territories of Australia.

Regulatory Compliance Mark

Your feedback shows that you regularly purchase from Chinese sellers... and are not satisfied in some cases (and lulled into feeling satisfied at the time of receiving some items in other cases). For example:

Spoiler

Negative feedback ratingDoesn't turn on. No English instruction manual. No Australian plug AC charger

Negative feedback ratingBulbs do not locate correctly, dimensions wrong. Impossible to secure retainers

Negative feedback ratingExtreemly poor eBay seller. No communication, reply to my qestions.

Negative feedback ratingIf you haven’t got it, don’t sell it! It’s against Australian consumer law.

Negative feedback ratingPieces missing and not as described. Buy the same thing from Supecheap for less

Negative feedback ratingBarely big enough to fit a child let alone an adult. Very disappointing.

Negative feedback ratingNot as described. Batteries not available in Australia and charger is European.

Negative feedback ratingSizing is incorrect, extreemly poor quality, completely out of proportion

Neutral feedback ratingSizing is not accurate

... and lo and behold, the sellers' feedback profile pages show that they are registered in China (vast majority) or Malaysia or Taiwan.

Why would you risk buying from these sellers?

To avoid purchasing from dodgy sellers, be pro-active and... avoid dodgy sellers. There's a reason behind the saying "You get what you pay for." You have no protection under Australian legislation if you buy from overseas sellers, and there's no warranty that will apply, either.

Message 8 of 24
Latest reply

Why the hell are eBay not weeding out some of these really dodgy BUYERS and banning their IP address permently? A bit like yourself really.

There is nothing I love more than complete garbage buyers coming here and outing themselves as being so. It means sellers here can take advantage of the block feature. There are plenty of sellers here who sell the stuff you like to buy. Guess what? You won't be buying from them. 

I would suggest that you buy locally rather than eBay. Or just don't buy at all. You really seem to have so many issues. Or, you just have a major attitude problem. My guess it's the latter and you're hoping to get everything you buy for free. 

Welcome to the party dude!

disco.gif

Message 9 of 24
Latest reply

@*tippy*toes* wrote:

Why the hell are eBay not weeding out some of these really dodgy BUYERS and banning their IP address permently? A bit like yourself really.

There is nothing I love more than complete garbage buyers coming here and outing themselves as being so. It means sellers here can take advantage of the block feature. There are plenty of sellers here who sell the stuff you like to buy. Guess what? You won't be buying from them. 

I would suggest that you buy locally rather than eBay. Or just don't buy at all. You really seem to have so many issues. Or, you just have a major attitude problem. My guess it's the latter and you're hoping to get everything you buy for free. 

Welcome to the party dude!

disco.gif

Maybe he's just been unlucky.Smiley LOL

Message 10 of 24
Latest reply