Drop Shipping

The last 6 item I've bought on Ebay have been drop shipping and each and every one has had a problem with it. I'm sick of sending photos back to the "Seller" and haggling about something which is neither my problem nor should be.  Is anyone experiencing anything similar?

Message 1 of 7
Latest reply
6 REPLIES 6

Re: Drop Shipping

Most of the sellers you seem to be dealing with are registered in China. As such, they are not technically dropshippers.

Maybe stop buying junk from Chinese sellers.

In answer to your question, no. I don't buy junk from Chinese sellers, so I don't experience your issues.

Message 2 of 7
Latest reply

How do you know they are drop shipping?

A drop shipper is someone who is sitting in Australia, but listing items physically held by overseas/Chinese sellers (such as vendors on AliExpress). When you place an order with the seller, they simply place that same order with the Chinese vendor, who then ships your item. A drop shipper is a "middle man" so to speak.

This is completely different from an overseas/Chinese seller who has their own store and simply lists on Ebay and you purchase directly from them.

You have a few options:

1) Look to see where the seller is registered. This is noted on their feedback page and is not related to the item location.

2) If you have issues with items purchased from overseas, don't negotiate with the seller. Just open a case for Not as Described and get your money back. Never send anything back at your cost either - if the seller wants it back, they need to send postage costs upfront, or a shipping label (if domestic).

3) Buying cheap actually costs a lot of money and time and hassle! Buy from Aussie B&M stores and then you'll get a superior product that comes with a warranty.

Message 3 of 7
Latest reply

No

I would not be 'haggling' with a seller

If something is not as described and the seller is being shifty or ignores, I open a dispute

End of story

Then again, I don't buy from sellers in China(or anywhere for that matter) who have utterly  horrid feedback either 

Message 4 of 7
Latest reply

magquie
Community Member

I've been caught out with drop shipping, caused a lot of wasted time and stress.  Had I known I wouldn't have bought of this seller.  I lodged a dispute as soon as I received the wrong item ( shifty Australian seller)!  Ebay needs to update their policy regarding d/s so that buyers are aware.  Now I know I will shop around first and ask seller lots of questions.

Message 5 of 7
Latest reply

@magquie wrote:

Ebay needs to update their policy regarding d/s so that buyers are aware. 

eBay have their policy on drop-shipping as you are aware.

To make buyers aware of a seller doing it YOU need to put that in the sellers feedback, either as a neutral or a neg.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 6 of 7
Latest reply

@robbopod wrote:

The last 6 item I've bought on Ebay have been drop shipping and each and every one has had a problem with it. I'm sick of sending photos back to the "Seller" and haggling about something which is neither my problem nor should be.  Is anyone experiencing anything similar?

----------------

Can't say that I have, but I just checked and noticed I haven't actually bought anything this year, although I had a few excellent experiences with purchases last year.

In the past I have bought from someone who was drop shipping (the item was fine when it arrived).

One of the keys I think is to check feedback. Quickly cast your eyes over the recent feedback then click on any negs. If there is a pattern of items arriving late, you'll see it and you might even see some buyers say they are suspicious their item was drop shipped.

For me, I think the reason my purchases have worked out well is because I tend to only buy from Australian based sellers. It's not a hard and fast rule but it is definitely my preference. I check out seller location before I buy.

Secondly, I am very ready buy from medium sized sellers. By that I mean they haven't got really low, low feedback but their feedback might only be in the high tens or hundreds, not the thousands.

This definitely is not a hard and fast rule. Quite a few of my purchases last year were from large volume sellers too and those items came quickly and were just fine. For a new seller, I'd be much more wary. For any seller with a fair bit of neg feedback, I'd also be wary.

I do think some of it can depend on what you are buying too. Even if a seller is based in Australia, you can sometimes tell the stuff is mass produced cheap stuff from China. That might be okay, depending on what you want it for, but for some things it just works out better to look for a reputable brand name or to buy from a real store.

In your shoes, what I would do is firstly, try to buy only from Australian sellers and next, if I received more items that had problems is I would just go straight to an ebay claim because the sellers can then issue you with a return postage label (at their expense, not yours) and they will have to act, they won't be able to haggle with you.

PS Mention drop shipping or difficulties in feedback you give, as a warning for the next shoppers who come along.

Message 7 of 7
Latest reply