Ebay 'Returns' is a joke!

797_cc
Community Member

<sigh> Where do I start?

Bought a dress from a Melbourne seller and it arrived quickly - perfect. But when I held it up, I realised (without even having to try it on) that it was too small.

I sent a message to the seller advising as such, saying that I would even include a prepaid satchel for them to send back the correct size - my mistake, I pay, fair enough.

No response from seller. Waited 2 days, messaged again ... no response form seller. Okay, they may be busy.

Packed up the dress, included an explanatory note and the prepaid bag and sent it off to their listed PO box. Checked the tracking and it arrived the next day. Sent a message to the seller, letting them know it was there. No response ... waited 2 days, messaged again ... no response. Waited another day ... still no response. Checked the sellers listings - heaps of things had been purchased and sent out (happy feedback) - so he was at least around. 

Sent a message to remind him the dress was there ... no response. Checked his feedback ... $&&X@!&$!!. Seems no communication and ignoring returns is a common thing >:(.

Clicked 'request a return' and took the closest option, but mentioned that he had my $39.95 AND the dress AND a $14.65 return post bag ... requested my dress or, preferably, a full refund. Mentioned that the dress had been left ignored at the post office for around a week ... in theory, HE HAS IT. Got the usual '24 - 48 hours and we will respond' message from ebay.

It's now been 4 days and even after asking on day 3 (and getting a generic reply) ebay have done nothing. Tried to go over to Paypal to get it sorted, says I can't as a dispute has already been raised.

Ugh! What a mess! ๐Ÿ˜ž

Am I ever going to win this one?

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: Ebay 'Returns' is a joke!

Whoa ... slow down with the 'buyers like you' comment. My husband (and I work with him on the customer liaison side) runs an ebay business with over 1800 items, 100% rating, high performance and nearly 40,000 feedback ... so, as a high-rated seller who treats their customers like royalty ... I do know how both sides work - thank you very much!

In effect, I've been defrauded. Ebay is now looking at a new development for me ... the seller just now has proved himself to be dishonest.

Message 11 of 19
Latest reply

Does the seller actually accept returns? They don't have to for change of mind - no business does, so it's not against the law to refuse returns or exchanges in those circumstances. Many businesses will accept returns out of courtesy and in the interests of customer service, but that's their choice. 

Now, obviously if the item doesn't match the description, it's a different matter, but if the item's measurements matched those given, or if there weren't any measurements but the sizing label matches what was described, then there is no right to return or exchange unless the seller specifically states that they will accept returns.

It's also a really bad idea to send an item back without a response from the seller, at the very least because it gives you no indication how they will handle the issue - in fact, you lose PayPal protection even on items that aren't as described if you send an item back without their express instruction to do so. eBay's MBG will only allow a case to be ecalated to a claim if the seller accepted the return and then doesn't refund, but as the seller didn't respond and accept, I'd say that's why the case was decided in their favour.

I don't think it's right that the seller has the money and item, but without knowing why they didn't respond or refund, I won't say any more about it than that. 

Message 12 of 19
Latest reply

I understand where I went wrong, and have admitted fault in that ... but there is so much more to it that I can't go into yet, apart from saying the seller has now done something dishonest. As I said before ... the seller accepts returns, but their feedback is full of negatives regarding returns being sent back and refunds not being honoured ... and NEVER responds to messages. People can lecture all they like, I know where I went wrong ... but the things have just changed.
Message 13 of 19
Latest reply

I wasn't trying to lecture, just trying to clarify a couple of points as I missed where you mentioned the seller accepts returns; plus add in some info I thought could be helpful for future reference.

One of your earlier posts indicates the package is awaiting collection - are you able to get AP to withdraw and return the package to you? It might not be the perfect solution, but you might at least be able to retreive the item and extra satchel.

Message 14 of 19
Latest reply

There can't be an 'exchange' option for every item bought.. a lot of items sold are secondhand and the seller has no more  of the same to exchange it with.

Also if a seller sells a garment, they don't necessarily have more in the next size up or down to exchange it with.

I don't think buyers should confuse big online retail  stores with clothes sellers on eBay - and expect the eBay seller to have the same options re returns & exchanges as large Dept stores.

Message 15 of 19
Latest reply

He went and collected the parcel after not responding to messages and not collecting it for 10 days ... and after waiting for me to be ruled against.

Message 16 of 19
Latest reply

You cannot have it both ways.....you complained that he did not collect the package in for first place, and you were never going to win a dispute when you did not follow the correct procedure to returns anyway.

Maybe you should have read his feedback before returning the item......he apparently has a track record for this type of behaviour.

Message 17 of 19
Latest reply

Wow. Watching lots of people attack someone that got ripped off by a seller who has now proven he is dishonest , and had already admitted they made a mistake, but now have a chance to get it right. Way to go ebay community! Go stand in the corner and slap yourself for being a bunch of nasty b@st@rds!

Message 18 of 19
Latest reply

@rat_zarz wrote:

He went and collected the parcel after not responding to messages and not collecting it for 10 days ... and after waiting for me to be ruled against.

Ok, well now that eBay / PayPal resolution has been ruled out, I would be looking at sending a formal letter - the seller did have the right to receive and inspect the goods before taking any action (eg either refunding or exchanging), but now that the goods are in their possession, they either need to return them to you or make a refund / exchange (assuming the dress is still in original condition etc, and obviously I have no reason to doubt that it isn't).

TBH there's not really any excuse for them ignoring your messages and / or not following up on the actual return if they've been active on eBay; the way the return wasn't handled isn't ideal, but the seller shouldn't get to keep funds and item - as you are receiving proper legal advice, you're probably aware of all your options now, so I hope you get a resolution. 

Message 19 of 19
Latest reply