Ebay has lost the plot and their rules are being ignored. Disillusioned Aussie

I recently purchased a quadcopter on Gumtree, "Fully working" I was told, It wasn't and far from working at all.  Next I made an offer, every peny I've saved over almost 2 years of not having a beer and not going to the club for raffles. The seller accused me of lying in the note I sent him.  I explained I had saved from my Veteran's pension to buy a DJI quadcopter and all I got as a reply, I was lying, I assume about being a Disabled Vietnam Veteran, he even used the fact I didn't include my full name "why would I"

The final straw was what I could have considered my dream purchase.  Just enough money in my savings account to buy the quadcopter, plus pay for posting. I asked for assurance it was actually fully working, and if it was I would buy it.  My reply, We've already sold it.  The darned thing was still being listed on Ebay for crying out loud, who sells something and leaves it listed 14 hours before the end.  I might add it wasn't an auction, I was going to Buy It Now.

I'm very disallusioned with Ebay, or probably more so with the sellers, but to be called a liar, plus have my dream purchase pre sold. I'm not happy.  I know it's a waste of time telling Ebay about it, they do little about complaints.  I've complained three times about Chinese sellers saying they're living in Australia. That's Illegal says Ebay, and yet almost every seller selling electronic gadgets in Australia are actually Chinese living in China. Nothing has been done to clean it up and meanwhile we've lost a massive number of Aussie sellers.  And who can blame them, they simply can't compete when they have to buy from the same people selling here illegally.

Ebay buying has lost that feeling it used to generate for me.  It used to be fun, you find something you want and check the feedback, and it's it's a Chinese seller.  The same goes for the USA and the UK. Chinese sellers supposedly living in the countries they list in.  I don';t want to buy from the Chinese if the item is being sold by an Aussie, you get it on time if it's an Aussie.  Oh yes, I did buy a couple of broken quadcopters ion the weekend, to fix a couple of friends quads. The seller hasn't even acknowledged the fact I purchased them yet.  Yes Ebay is losing whatever it was which made it fun. And which Aussies use Amazon? Hardly an alternative is it?.

Message 1 of 38
Latest reply
37 REPLIES 37

You could be right. Won't affect me though as I have never bought a thing from them.Smiley Happy

Maybe my American friends won't buy as much either. 

Message 31 of 38
Latest reply

@countessalmirenawrote:

@michellebartleywrote:
Buying off Amazon US not just Amazon au. Yes really really really and truly. I get different opinions from people I know who buy from Amazon, they think Amazon is wonderful.

Amazon is wonderful? Well, it certainly can be, and has been in some senses. Amazon's also done damage to a lot of smaller businesses, but there's no denying that the sheer range and ease of use and clarity of postage and international availability to buyers is incredibly attractive.

I've never been able to figure out whether they'll post to Australia or what the postage would cost so I gave up on them long ago!

Message 32 of 38
Latest reply

Some sellers can ship, others no. The shipping cost is rather similar to Ebay's shipping costs.
Message 33 of 38
Latest reply

@springyzonewrote:

[...]  So a few years back i had a look for a couple of scrapbooking items I was after. 

I found them okay but they were for sale in USA/Canada only.

Never once was I able to find anything I wanted that shipped to Australia so Amazon became synonymous in my mind with don't even bother looking. [...]

I know what you mean; I've experienced something similar, and been glad that I had my US address set up for such situations.

And Amazon is but one online mall; there are so many sellers online nowadays that one is spoiled for choice. Good customer service, good packaging, reasonable postage costs, they all go to make up part of the reasons why one would be a repeat buyer.

Message 34 of 38
Latest reply

I foresee Trumpex, a new shipping system.

Message 35 of 38
Latest reply

@brerrabbit585wrote:

I've never been able to figure out whether they'll post to Australia or what the postage would cost so I gave up on them long ago!

It can be done by going through the checkout system right up until the very last button to press. Before one presses that button to confirm, the total is shown, including postage cost, and before getting to that page, a previous page will actually state whether an item can be sent to Australia or not.

Once you get used to the particular quirks of the site, it does become easy.

Message 36 of 38
Latest reply

there are places in the USA you can get stuff shipped to who then redirect them to you

i know nothing of how they work or costs, just they exist

Message 37 of 38
Latest reply

They have already been mentioned by several posters David.

Message 38 of 38
Latest reply