Ebay not proactive on scammers

ausbulk
Community Member

A few weeks ago I bid on an item and lost, the buyer gave me a second chance offer.

The deal seemed almost too good to be true (alarm #1).... and then I realised I couldn't pay by PayPal (alarm #2). The seller lived in the suburb next to me, so I asked for a pick up to save on postage, he flat out refused (alarm #3).

My BS sensor was going off way too much, so I just refused to pay and reported him to ebay.

Three weeks later I check his account and there are about 20 negative reviews from people he's scammed.

Anyway, it's a shame ebay doesn't seem to be very proactive in these matters, from what I can gather ebay sits back and waits for negative reviews on an account to do their work, shame ebay, shame!

Message 1 of 4
Latest reply
3 REPLIES 3

Re: Ebay not proactive on scammers

If goods are not received, or received in a condition other than advertised, eBay has procedures in place for redress. Provided you pay with or through Paypal. If you use a credit card, you could have redress through your bank.

If you use bank deposit or cash, then it is caveat emptor. And will always be as neither eBay nor any other similar site has any way of verifying you paid for an item.

Given that eBay requires a seller to provide a 'safe' payment method, generallly either Paypal or a merchant credit card facility, their terms are in breach of eBay's terms and the listing won't even post. If you really wanted it, you could have paid with Paypal regardless.

What did you report them for?

Message 2 of 4
Latest reply

While it does none of us any good as sellers I have minimum sympathy for people who get scammed by a seller saying they cannot accept Paypal and asking for bank deposit. Ebay, as well as common sense, make it very clear that there is no buyer protection if you don't use a safe payment method.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 3 of 4
Latest reply

go-tazz
Community Member

Hopefully you've reported them via Help & Contact,(at the top of the page) as eBay will have no idea about

this scammer unless they get reported by people that have been scammed or can show how they are a

a scammer,(eg: copy and paste a link to their feedback page).

Or add them to your following list,(so others can see who they are and then report them),good.gif

Message 4 of 4
Latest reply