Ebay sends out $100 voucher then withdraws it

Well wasnt i excited to recive a $100 voucher from ebay!!
Only to have it withdrawn an hour and a half later due to an error by ebay (booo!!)
Lucky i did not try to use it as i was planning on using it tomorrow.
I wonder who else got a error voucher
*we may be human, but we are still animals*
Message 1 of 33
Latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

I just did not complete checkout Tippy, i dont agree with freebees from sellers (personal reasons) but would gladly spend freebees from ebay itself.

*we may be human, but we are still animals*
Message 21 of 33
Latest reply

I received the offer too. As a seller eBay makes sure I pay for every mistake, both financially & with defects/feedback etc. It seems the same policies don't apply for themselves!

Message 22 of 33
Latest reply

@glenbankloel wrote:

Perhaps we could start an "Item not as Decribed" complaint" to them?????

Wonder how they would deal with that?

wouldn't work.  This particular $100 voucher offer and subsequent withdrawal is covered by eBay's GBS program and any complaints would fall on deaf ears.  It is an unwritten condition in the T&Cs for any eBay promotion/offer/voucher.

eBay GBS = eBay Global BS program.

Alternately, in cases of buyer confusion, eBay would invoke the eBay MBG . . . . . that's where eBay reserve the right to take back the money that would have been saved by the buyer.

Can't win either way.

Message 23 of 33
Latest reply

@iscrap76 wrote:

I read emails in bed last night, even got out to go tell my son we had won a $100 voucher, we were going to buy a TV with the Bing Lee 20% off but we were not allowed to as our area isn't included in their delivery zone (it is on their website but not on ebay), so we didn't buy it.  I told my son we could buy it now from the good guys with the $100 off. He isn't going to be happy when I tell him we can't.

The Bing Lee offer ended on the 26th but was withdrawn earlier.   If you had been lucky enough to have kept the code it still worked up to midnight though.

And I cannot find any reference to the Good Guys 20% offer either.

These offers are for a very limited time....some as little as 2 days.....and are often withdrawn earlier.

Message 24 of 33
Latest reply

Ummm, I could be wrong but wasn't there a non-disclosure clause in the user agreement for the Your Say site that participants had to agree to?  I'm sure I recall something like that when I signed up a while back, and it is normal practice for survey sites.

Cheers,

Penny
Message 25 of 33
Latest reply

I saw a story on Ch9 news tonight about this eBay stuff up.  Ross Greenwood reported that eBay sent out the vouchers to 10,000 members.  That is $1,000,000 worth of vouchers!

He also stated that eBay would honour the voucher for members who bought items before the correction email went out.  That means that if you got the voucher, bought an item worth $100 or more between getting the voucher notification and the voucher retraction then you can press eBay for a $100 credit.

Message 26 of 33
Latest reply

@k1ooo-slr-sales wrote:

I saw a story on Ch9 news tonight about this eBay stuff up.  Ross Greenwood reported that eBay sent out the vouchers to 10,000 members.  That is $1,000,000 worth of vouchers!

He also stated that eBay would honour the voucher for members who bought items before the correction email went out.  That means that if you got the voucher, bought an item worth $100 or more between getting the voucher notification and the voucher retraction then you can press eBay for a $100 credit.

Good luck with that one!

$1mil eh? That would be one days fees wouldn't it?

Message 27 of 33
Latest reply

@k1ooo-slr-sales wrote:

That kind of makes sense insofar as those people, having made a purchase, would be out of pocket. However, I would never make a purchase, using any voucher, before testing it by using "add to cart" before committing. The people who made purchases would have received a message at checkout stating that the voucher was invalid and could have requested a cancellation from the seller. None were forced to buy.

It's unfair, really. Ebay should bite the bullet and give everyone who received the initial email a $100 credit. Why should those who acted before the recall email was sent out receive a windfall while the rest of us miss out.

Message 28 of 33
Latest reply

judging by a post on the other "Your Say voucher" thread there are 10,000 Your Sayers, but only 2,000 completed the survey last month even though the voucher email went to all 10,000 Your Say community members.

That would make it an even bigger stuff up than originally thought i.e. they couldn't even send the emails to just the members who completed the August survey, they sent it to all 10,000 members!

Message 29 of 33
Latest reply

same here, bought something went to use the code, not valid, ebay sends another email citing they have made an error and have procedures put in place so it wont happen again 2 days later ebay send me a $50 voucher as an apology, code did not work reread the email and the name on the email was for someone else so much for the procedures in place so it won't happen again .....

Message 30 of 33
Latest reply