Ebays Global Shipping mega Scam

stoph-88
Community Member

A quick search here will reveal the pitfalls of this international mega scam, check it out and be prepared to be horrified.

It works like this: ebay charges the seller based on TOTAL PRICE INCLUDING SHIPPING

The seller in effect, pays a fee for someone else's profits as well as his own.

Ebay forces the seller to use ebays GSP ; which will often double or triple the shipping cost.

this again increases fees because as the shipping price goes up, the fees go up.

At the ebay shipping facility, the item will be removed from its original protective packaging and packed in sub standard, smaller, lighter packaging to reduce shipping cost for ebay.  Items being damaged or destroyed has become commonplace and sellers lying about where their items are located has also become commonplace. 

so ultimately the buyer pays 1. for the item, 2 for shipping, 3. for the extra cost and reduced quality of service of the ebay GSP, 4. For the extra margin the seller must charge so that after he has been gouged by ebay, he is left with some kind of margin.

If a local company did this, the Law would soon catch up with them.  Ebay is a Multinational Corporation so it can get away with this blatant theft.

Here's what to do.

NEVER BUY AN ITEM THAT WILL BE SENT BY THE EBAY GSP.

TELL THE SELLER WHY YOU WILL NOT BE BUYING FROM HIM AND THAT THE ONLY WAY YOU WILL IS IF HE USES THE SHIPPING METHOD YOU PREFER.

CHECK OUT EBAYS COMPETITORS AND IF YOU CAN, BOYCOTT EBAY UNTIL THEY CHANGE THEIR BUSINESS ACUMEN TO AN HONOURABLE AND HONEST ONE.

BY DEALING WITH THIEVES, WE CONDONE THEFT.

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

Re: Ebays Global Shipping mega Scam

@stoph-88 wrote:

A quick search here will reveal the pitfalls of this international mega scam, check it out and be prepared to be horrified.

This post is riddled with misinformation.

It works like this: ebay charges the seller based on TOTAL PRICE INCLUDING SHIPPING

The seller in effect, pays a fee for someone else's profits as well as his own.

Nope, the seller pays fees on shipping within the USA or UK.

Ebay forces the seller to use ebays GSP ; which will often double or triple the shipping cost.

this again increases fees because as the shipping price goes up, the fees go up.

Nope, sellers can opt out of the GSP. Shipping cost, if the seller inputs weight and dimensions is on par with or less than the country's postal service, especially with heavy items.

At the ebay shipping facility, the item will be removed from its original protective packaging and packed in sub standard, smaller, lighter packaging to reduce shipping cost for ebay. 

Not all the time do they repackage, and the shipping cost has little to do with eBay anyway.

Items being damaged or destroyed has become commonplace and sellers lying about where their items are located has also become commonplace. 

What has that got to do with the GSP ?

Read the thread below that has input from a lot of experienced members here to get the real truth.

https://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Buying/Global-Shipping-Program-put-into-perspective/m-p/2165256#M91...

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

padi... you need to stop posting facts & spoiling a misinformed rant.😉

Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

TC, I will immediately run away, slap my head and put my tin-foil hat on again....>>>>>>>>

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

Hi Padi.   

OP  riddled with rubish

OP,  you really should research your legal responsibility, before posting on a public forum

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

Aw gee... please get your facts straight before you distort them.

Sellers are not forced to use the GSP... they can opt out.

UK & US sellers do NOT pay fees on the GSP portion of shipping. They only pay fees on the shipping to the GSP Hub.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

purveyor_of_tat
Community Member

@stoph-88 wrote:

A quick search here will reveal the pitfalls of this international mega scam, check it out and be prepared to be horrified......

Where did you get this rubbish from?

As others have posted, GSP is optional - if you don't like what you see you do not need to buy.

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

Great Info thankyou. I purchase from the U.S regularly and soon discovered the inflated post. I am a collector of militaria  so sometimes you wear the cost if its something your chasing for the collection.

I have had 2 items in the last 6 weeks arrive at ebays centre in the U.S and the Items had been deemed Undeliverable said to be Restricted.  One was a WW2 Japanese Leather bayonet FROG  and the other was a WW2 Italian leather Belt and leather Holster  These type of items I have been purchasing globally including the U.S for years and have never had an issue with Australian Customs or any other nations. But first issues have occurred with Ebays Global shipping.

I had a reply to my recent gripe suggesting I get the seller to use alternate shipping, I have over the past 13 years used USPS priority and 1st class , guess what never an issue never a lost item never a drama. Now all the hassles have started with Ebays Global Shipping.  To communicate with every seller in different timezones and request they use another carrier is almost impossible and one hell of a chore.

Its a shame I have slowly come to the conclusion that I will exit purchasing from the U.S eventually the rest of the world. Then just rely on what's available in Australia and  slow right down and be content with what I have achieved in my collection, save my money and find another pastime/hobby,  maybe one that doesn't cost.

Its a shame everything worked so well prior to the new seller payment system, now global shipping has virtually killed it.

Once again great info cheers

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

So you're not really interested in enhancing your collection. I realise spending a couple of minutes typing up a form question, then a few seconds to C&P it into a message to a seller would be the easy route.

If I was a collector of rare militaria it wouldn't be too much work for me, but I'm neither a collector of rare militaria nor, thankfully, you.

The time you have spent posting on the boards would have well and truly covered composing a form question and, probably, sending it to many sellers.

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply