Exorbitant Shipping Value.

I live in Australia, and have tried to purchase small items like tiny fishing lures. The asking prices can be minute, yet the the “GlobalShipping” programme is ridiculously expensive. Nothing short of an insult to the buying public. There is no alternative shipping offered, just shipping costs that are totally out of proportion to the price and minute weight involved. There is no bundled shipping on multiples, it’s a sad joke. No wonder people buy more from China, it’s in my hands in a few days and free. God god Amazon in most cases is free and in a few days. I have had sellers get back to me on the problem, to be told EBay told them “It was a Glitch” glitch is a nice word for systemic theft.

Message 1 of 9
Latest reply
8 REPLIES 8

The sellers lied to you or made things up.

If you ask many sellers will ship without using the GSP.

With our huge amount of tackle stores I'm surprised you need to buy from US  or UK sellers.

Message 2 of 9
Latest reply

Most sellers don't input dimensions and weight of their parcels, ask them to do that and the postage will become more reasonable.

Alternatively as repent says, ask them to post direct to you on a new listing of the item.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 3 of 9
Latest reply

There is no obligation on you or the seller to use the GSP.   For a seller to tell you it is a glitch, probably means they could not be bothered accepting the risks of selling to you and forgoing protections offered by the GSP.

Message 4 of 9
Latest reply

Surely there must be dozens of Australian fishing shops online?

What about BCF. com.au?

They seem to have everything.

Message 5 of 9
Latest reply

Buy on Amazon then, ebay won't care. Or, you could buy from an Australian seller, or buy locally in your own area. As mentioned BCF has absolutely everything and more. You can even buy online! I guess they don't advertise "free shipping" like your Chinese sellers.

Message 6 of 9
Latest reply

Well it’s not the point, I can buy a small reel three quarters of a pound and have it shipped for 25 dollars US, yet this big deal EBay wonder plan can cost thirty five dollar for a small lure and no discount on multiples. It equates to th3 smaller the item the more it costs. There is a stocking fee as well, plus a wicked exch@nge rate disproportionately in their favour plus 10% gst. A ten dollar item can cost you $55 , yet Amazon can shipping is free. EBay penalises you for shopping with you.

Message 7 of 9
Latest reply

There’s no free shipping on Amazon from the US to Australia.

The GSP is an arrangement between eBay and Pitney Bowes which offers significant protection to sellers, and makes items available to overseas buyers when those items might normally not be sent overseas. Its drawbacks are obvious: cheap slow international shipping (in spite of the cost), risk of very poor repacking if goods once they arrive from seller at the domestic warehouse, brutal seizing of goods if they are deemed non-deliverable or banned according to PB’s arbitrary rules, and lack of straightforward method of being recompensed for the GSP portion of payment of things go amiss.

Sellers are not obliged to use the GSP if they sell overseas, so you can always ask if they’ll use a different method.

You can also ask seller to input the parcel dimensions and weight correctly, as this will bring down the price. Default settings will see the shipping component be disproportionately high. This is one of the major reasons for shockingly high GSP charges.

Message 8 of 9
Latest reply

It IS the point.

I doubt you will catch more fish with these esoteric lures.

I've caught barramundi with a can/bottle opener as a lure. Technique is the key.

Message 9 of 9
Latest reply