FAKE GUITAR STRINGS

Why wont eBay stop seller of fake guitar strings there are hundreds of sellers. I know it's a stupid question.

Message 1 of 12
Latest reply
11 REPLIES 11

FAKE GUITAR STRINGS

How would eBay know they are "fake"?

eBay do offer a Money Back Guarantee.

Message 2 of 12
Latest reply

FAKE GUITAR STRINGS

I can't make up my mind if these are strings for a fake guitar - or - fake strings for a guitar. lol

Message 3 of 12
Latest reply

FAKE GUITAR STRINGS

If an item is significantly lower than RRP, let your spidey senses tingle. 🕷

Rather than expect eBay to detect each listing of fake item, be a savvy buyer and exercise good judgement. Check where the seller is registered (by clicking onto their feedback profile); if registered in China, and especially if the item specifics field for brand says unbranded, you know enough.

Click onto negative feedback over last 12 months to further your awareness.

But most of all, live by the If it’s too good to be true philosophy and be prepared to pay what something is worth.

Message 4 of 12
Latest reply

FAKE GUITAR STRINGS

Not saying your fake stings were from china,  but I see you enjoy buying from chinese sellers with dodgy feedback.  Put 2 and 2 together and you will eventually get 4.  Even the Australian sellers have dodgy feedback.

It's not Ebays job to go an inspect every item.

Message 5 of 12
Latest reply

FAKE GUITAR STRINGS

@rustyjoe41 wrote:

Why wont eBay stop seller of fake guitar strings there are hundreds of sellers especially "Elixir. I know it's a stupid question but it really **bleep** me off. 

They won't stop it for a number of reasons

1. They don't know if the guitar strings are 'fake' or not.

2. They don't really care that much, as long as those sellers supply the goods to their customers & as long as most buyers from those sellers are happy enough.

3. They get fees for sales. 

There is a lot of fake stuff being sold on ebay. When it comes to the bigger ticket items, high end sneakers and bags etc, ebay has tried to impose some authenticity requirements, but for other things, they just let the market decide.

Here's what you need to do. (Apart from taking countess's good advice). If you have bought any sub standard strings, open an ebay claim for item not as described. Don't mention fake in your claim as you'd have to go through too many hoops to prove it. Just claim poor quality, broke on first use, thinner than advertised, or whatever the problem is.

You'll likely win your claim.

The best way to get some of these sellers off ebay is to open claims when items are not as advertised.

That way, the seller has to refund in full plus pay any return postage. If enough people open claims against that seller, then eventually they may withdraw that item or stop selling on ebay.

The thing to realise is that what ebay classifies as a good seller is extremely different  to what a lot of the boardies on here would classify as a good seller (one with positive feedback of 99.5%).

Ebay has no problem whatsoever classifying many sellers with eg 96% positive feedback or lower as "one of our most reputable sellers, consistently delivering outstanding customer service".

You'll see this time and again. I think it relates much more to the number of sales that seller has made, rather than their actual feedback score.

Apparently, ebay takes no notice of feedback ratings & the problem is, for a lot of buyers, that is the only way they voice their complaint. So many buyers seem not to know about opening a claim within 30 days. If they do that, it is on ebay's radar I guess. 

So it's important if your item isn't as described, to open a proper claim.

Message 6 of 12
Latest reply

FAKE GUITAR STRINGS

Springyzone, when you mention the 99.5%, you need to clarify that that number is for high volume sellers. It's not uncommon for a small seller to have a feedback of 75% or 50% because they've only sold a couple of things and some impatient numpty as decided to neg them because their item didn't arrive a week before they bought it. 

My husband recently bought from a seller with feedback of (I think) 68%. Neg said "posted same day as payment. Took Australia Post 2 weeks to deliver it". Seller got punished because of slow delivery.

Message 7 of 12
Latest reply

FAKE GUITAR STRINGS

The major music stores in Australia sell them for around $30.00 plus, so if you are seeing them for less than half of that then they will probably be fake.

A quick look at them shows that the sellers selling for that cheap price are nearly always registered in China or are dropshippers in Australia. If it's the former then eBay Australia has no control over them unfortunately.

As said, look at feedback for the country of registration and avoid high-volume sellers with less than 99.5% feedback.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 8 of 12
Latest reply

FAKE GUITAR STRINGS

@springyzone wrote:

@rustyjoe41 wrote:

Why wont eBay stop seller of fake guitar strings there are hundreds of sellers especially "Elixir. I know it's a stupid question but it really **bleep** me off. 

The thing to realise is that what ebay classifies as a good seller is extremely different  to what a lot of the boardies on here would classify as a good seller (one with positive feedback of 99.5%).

Ebay has no problem whatsoever classifying many sellers with eg 96% positive feedback or lower as "one of our most reputable sellers, consistently delivering outstanding customer service".

You'll see this time and again. I think it relates much more to the number of sales that seller has made, rather than their actual feedback score.

Thats the problem,   people on here say 99.5% is acceptable,  not so,  it is what the feedback is,  you are still saying that 1 out of every 200 is a problem transaction, but that is ok,   but you also need to look at the neutrals,  as often these are border line negatives,  but dont show up in the percentages.

Buyers need to look at the percentage and actually read what the problems are,  not say that 99.5% is ok,  or that 75% is not ok.   It's not the numbers its the words,   but anything below 100 is to be investigated, and due diligence taken

Message 9 of 12
Latest reply

FAKE GUITAR STRINGS

Buyers simply need to care about who they are buying from IMHO

Not a popular opinion, I know

Message 10 of 12
Latest reply