FAKE Ultrafire 18650 batteries

moby_chicken
Community Member

For reasons unknown to me eBay deleted the previous thread I posted on this.

Since drawing the situation to the attention of the manufacturer things seem to have improved somewhat:

1,542 results found for battery "18650" (3200,3400,3600,3800,4000,4800)

Yesterday this search pulled in over 3,500 listings!

Message 1 of 23
Latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

@thecatspjs wrote:

The gagging / silencing of community members from discussing these quite real issues is disappointing to say the least.

Whilst the Boards have never been an effective way to address such issues the Boards have always played its part in being IMO a very effective in alerting / educating other ebay community members about the traits of hijacked accounts and potential scams and to encourage reporting to ebay by community members of suspect listings, sellers or buyers.

I for one, have certainly learnt a lot about these matters from other members - far more useful than any effort ebay itself has ever made to educate me as buyer and as a seller, save insisting on sellers having safe payment method and buried site map links with information that most would only seek to ferret out after they had been stung.

Yes it is clearly dissapointing,Angry head bang.gif

We have clearly been told that we are not allowed to "name and shame" scammers as they are eBay members and as

such fall under their umbrella of protection.

That means you can no longer list an Item title, (which is what Ebay always told us to use in the past).

Listing item numbers has always being against the board policies.

So,sorry OP,but there is no effective way of alerting members to scam listings or seeking help with a suspect scam

listing/seller,(members will just have to learn that it must be simply bad luck that they ripped off and they should learn to

be more carefull in picked their sellers).

You can report via the listing but that became ineffective a couple of years ago when they removed the added

description box,(now T & S have no idea why the listing is reported so they don't do anything).

C'est la vie,stubborn_smiley_by_mirz123-d4bt0te_zps12f1a5a3.gif

Message 11 of 23
Latest reply

Those from above have spoken and the nose bleeds must be numerous. Clearly Julius Sumner Miller was correct when he said "Atmospheric pressure does the work", although I believed him to be a Physist, not a Proctologist. But then I guess he wasn't trying to describe where the decision makers' heads were.

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 12 of 23
Latest reply

@go-tazz wrote:

@thecatspjs wrote:

The gagging / silencing of community members from discussing these quite real issues is disappointing to say the least.

Whilst the Boards have never been an effective way to address such issues the Boards have always played its part in being IMO a very effective in alerting / educating other ebay community members about the traits of hijacked accounts and potential scams and to encourage reporting to ebay by community members of suspect listings, sellers or buyers.

I for one, have certainly learnt a lot about these matters from other members - far more useful than any effort ebay itself has ever made to educate me as buyer and as a seller, save insisting on sellers having safe payment method and buried site map links with information that most would only seek to ferret out after they had been stung.

Yes it is clearly dissapointing,Angry head bang.gif

That means you can no longer list an Item title, (which is what Ebay always told us to use in the past).

Listing item numbers has always being against the board policies.

C'est la vie,stubborn_smiley_by_mirz123-d4bt0te_zps12f1a5a3.gif

You cannot list a title but you may be able to list a unique phrase that is in the listing and others could search including

description

... We could call the thread......

.....The lump under the carpet

and not discuss infringements but just use the thread as a database

yours truly the catskinner

TELL ME AND I WILL FORGET, SHOW ME AND I MAY REMEMBER,, INVOLVE ME AND I WILL UNDERSTAND Confucius 450bc
Message 13 of 23
Latest reply

You cannot list a title but you may be able to list a unique phrase that is in the listing and others could search including

description

... We could call the thread......

.....The lump under the carpet

and not discuss infringements but just use the thread as a database

yours truly the catskinner

Interesting concept,Corny_cleaning-glasses.gif

That would work on live listings,(bit more time consuming but?),Sunnies.gif

If I could just put my watch list there that could work too,Whistle.gif

No can't do that as that's the scam listings,(and it would be naming and shaming ),blush-1.gif

Low and behold,there are another 8 scam listings on a German account by that Chinese scammer,(time stamp

11:43  12/8/13).

Bit of a greedy one that one,(he's already made over $5000 this month.

Message 14 of 23
Latest reply

All gone in less then four hours,shok.gif

That's how the report system needs to work,good.gif

Message 15 of 23
Latest reply

Just to recap ,

any 18650 battery that is listed as 3500mah or above is FAKE and yes I know but this is surely for those who might find this thread and perhaps be protected ..better still this thread will be useful in court action that may be necessary to give incentive to ebay to at least try to protect honest buyers from dishonest or incompentant sellers who do not think that stating 5000 and supplying 350 is wrong.

I have a claim pending that now requires that I send them back and supply a tracking number ...and of course the cost is prohibitive without considering that australia post wont take lithium batteries as they are dangerous goods .

It is my hope that ebay will act in some way , with or without my help to eradicate their site of at least the battery scammers.I have bought many things that were not up to expectation and many that were better but this battery issue is criminal ,blatant and easy to track down.

Any body who wants to defend ebay need only do a simple search to see that the problem is easy to find and even an ungifted individual can find these fraudsters with the knowledge that 3500 mah and above for 18650 battery is wrong.

Sur they are cheap But that is not the point ,thay are fraudulenty described , that is the point

cheers to all who want to make ebay abetter place

Lindsay

Message 16 of 23
Latest reply

@nikolatesla3 wrote:

..better still this thread will be useful in court action that may be necessary to give incentive to ebay to at least try to protect honest buyers from dishonest or incompentant sellers who do not think that stating 5000 and supplying 350 is wrong.

just how would this thread be useful in court action?  I doubt that anybody who buys a fake battery is going to take eBay to court.  They would need deep pockets if they do.

And . . . . . . just in case my comments are construed by some as condoning the selling of fake batteries on eBay, I invite anybody to view my posts on recent threads regarding the selling of fake/counterfeit/replica items on eBay.

Message 17 of 23
Latest reply

My sentiments exactly, assuming eBay are aware of the issue, they're just as bad as the fake sellers. Looks like as long as they're making a cut from the scam listings they're not concerned.
Message 18 of 23
Latest reply

*sigh*   Another nearly 5 year old thread resurrected for no good reason.

Message 19 of 23
Latest reply

Another example of laziness - by eBay, in not at least locking old threads, and by members who want to not add materially to a thread but  to get their name in lights.

Message 20 of 23
Latest reply