FAKE Ultrafire 18650 batteries

moby_chicken
Community Member

For reasons unknown to me eBay deleted the previous thread I posted on this.

Since drawing the situation to the attention of the manufacturer things seem to have improved somewhat:

1,542 results found for battery "18650" (3200,3400,3600,3800,4000,4800)

Yesterday this search pulled in over 3,500 listings!

Message 1 of 23
Latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

aussie.imports
Community Member

Could it be it was deleted because you had a URL in the OP that linked to a website that items could be purchased from?

Get down and dirty - Do it off road
Message 2 of 23
Latest reply

Hey All,

I have been sold fake batteries and I cant understand how eaby put up with it .

Every 18650 battery That is listed as above 3500 mah just has to be fake ..no question.

I know that that cant test every product but this issue is blatant fraudand had been going on for a while

Do a search for "5000mah 18650  battery"  and they are all fake .

Some sellers even admit it if asked ,but keep on using ebay to perpetuate their dishonest sales.

The tactic is "send them back for a refund" ..we all know that the return cost with tracking is usually more that the item .

Im doing my best to buy a few batteries that might not be fake but so far thay all are .

some sellers are even abusive when told that the specification is fraudulent .

If somebody was using my property to steal form people and sell fake products ,I would evict them from my property .

Message 3 of 23
Latest reply

Generally - don't revive old threads.

Generally - if you can't source real batteries online then, generally, maybe that is a hint to buy them from a real shop where you will probably get a real warranty.

Just a thought.

Message 4 of 23
Latest reply

And you're ony making yourself look worse by using another ID to start a similar thread and back yourself up on this one

You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means
Message 5 of 23
Latest reply

@nikolatesla3 wrote:

The tactic is "send them back for a refund" ..we all know that the return cost with tracking is usually more that the item .

It wouldn't matter in this case as being Lithium batteries, you can NOT return them to China, nor anywhere via air mail.

Message 6 of 23
Latest reply

@ Dave, I think your missing the point,  It is the illegal activity and attitudes of these false sellers that needs addressing, Saying well yeh there rip offs so just don't buy it is no way to run a business or very easy for unsuspecting buyers to make a reliable decision on to purchase or not. To allow such practices is just not on.  Would you like me to sell you a book with no words in it ? A battery with no charge or under charge? same thing its a rip off.

eBay needs to make sure people ARE getting what they are told an item is,  price has not part in this if its being sold as something and its not , well you have a problem regardless if it is cheap or expensive. And the problem is eBay is totally aware of these practices and choose to do very little unless enough noise is made about it as it DOES effect there bottom line which in reality is there main goal.

Yes people can be there own worse enemy but when your being blatantly told an orange is an apple because the seller painted it red that makes it not a good place for people to trade.

Batteries are just one example on eBay there are thousands and thousands of false and misleading items on eBay that are purposely advertised falsely.  That equates to thousands of unhappy ripped of buyers. That means its only a matter of time and it all comes back to bite you right on the you know where.

OH and Dave there's that attitude again , this post is showing a negative attitude towards the poster who has a valid point. The guy is upset and pissed off he is being ripped of no matter how hard he tries not to be.  I think he has a great point and I don't care how much it cost eBay to fix it up they make squillions out of us all and they buy law have an obligation to protect those who participate on there site.  And there PP rules for compensation SUCK. Forced control, Dictatorship.  More get nothing that get there claim upheld.  And for you to use the point of how much it would cost if ebay did monitor sellers is not valid , If its to expensive that just proves that eBay should not exist at all then if it can not regulate and control what activity is happening on there site just for the sake of PROFIT .  And eBay PP should never ever have been allowed to be self regulated it makes a mockery of the laws. They should be held accountable just like we are.

Message 7 of 23
Latest reply

The bumper has been bitten before and still keeps buying them. That is a part of the issue. And I doubt any buyer would be prepared to pay the costs associated with eBay vetting every listing. Some things don't lend themselves to online purchasing. Especially Lithium batteries, which AP won't allow to be returned to the seller anyway.

What's that saying? "Stupidity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result".

Message 8 of 23
Latest reply

Dear Sweetpea, I think YOU are missing the point.

eBay do not believe that the issue of fake products and other scams needs to be addressed, presumedly because this kind of activity just doesn't happen on this platform.

That has to be true, as there is now no effective way to address such issues.

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 9 of 23
Latest reply

The gagging / silencing of community members from discussing these quite real issues is disappointing to say the least.

Whilst the Boards have never been an effective way to address such issues the Boards have always played its part in being IMO a very effective in alerting / educating other ebay community members about the traits of hijacked accounts and potential scams and to encourage reporting to ebay by community members of suspect listings, sellers or buyers.

I for one, have certainly learnt a lot about these matters from other members - far more useful than any effort ebay itself has ever made to educate me as buyer and as a seller, save insisting on sellers having safe payment method and buried site map links with information that most would only seek to ferret out after they had been stung.

Message 10 of 23
Latest reply