Feedback

Have just this year had a few Sellers who cop my Positive Feedback but do not respond with Feedback for me as a buyer. Buyers are as important to Ebay as Sellers are, without one the other does not exist. I am a prompt payer & respond with Positive Feedback to the Seller.

Worse thing i can do is send a nice message quering whether Feedback is coming. I get sarcasm or no reply at all.

I am usually as prompt with with my Feedback as i am with paying but from now on i will give no Feedback to a Seller until i have received Feedback as a Buyer.

RussScorpio.

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

Feedback

Every reply will tell you 'feedback is voluntary'

Which is true

Personally, I consider it to be basic manners

but only a small % of people agree

In any case , I get feedback from maybe a quarter of buyers, I leave feedback unless I have had to report them before they will pay

Not sure if you just wanted to 'get it off your chest' but I doubt it will make any difference because most people these days just can't be bothered with doing such a simple thing. Manners are hard 

*Edited to add, the other thing I find annoying, if a buyer leaves a totally unwarrented neg, that one neg can trash a small seller's feedback rating, and when people get be bothered leaving positives ,it makes that unwarrented neg hurt even more. 

And once again, because I have to say it any and every time I mention feedback, no I don't sell for comments/dots/etc etc etc

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

Feedback

Feedback is voluntary, as said.

However, unless you're building up feedback as a buyer prior to starting selling (thus showing a track record) buyer feedback is essentially meaningless. It can only be positive, unlike seller feedback, so is only a tally of how many things you've bought that sellers have left you feedback for.

When I buy, it is irrelevant to me whether I get feedback or not. All I am concerned with is getting what I bought in a timely manner, in the described condition.

If I was worried about a lack of feedback, I would probably pay more to buy from somewhere else. But I'm not.

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

Feedback

@scorpiorac wrote:

Have just this year had a few Sellers who cop my Positive Feedback but do not respond with Feedback for me as a buyer. Buyers are as important to Ebay as Sellers are, without one the other does not exist. I am a prompt payer & respond with Positive Feedback to the Seller.

Worse thing i can do is send a nice message quering whether Feedback is coming. I get sarcasm or no reply at all.

I am usually as prompt with with my Feedback as i am with paying but from now on i will give no Feedback to a Seller until i have received Feedback as a Buyer.

RussScorpio.

but from now on i will give no Feedback to a Seller until i have received Feedback as a Buyer.

There is a flaw in this strategy.

Sellers who do not send items within their handling time, or rip you off on postage, or are just unpleasant sellers would be unlikely to give you feedback . . . . . meaning that you wonโ€™t give feedback to them . . . . . . meaning you wonโ€™t be able to warn other buyers about bad sellers.

If you come back with โ€œbut of course I would leave feedback for bad sellers even if they donโ€™t leave me feedbackโ€, then I would suggest that bad sellers just wonโ€™t give a toss, and the good sellers who do not leave you feedback are simply just not caught up in the whole feedback thing.

Large sellers normally have auto-feedback settings that leave feedback for buyers once buyers leave positive feedback. So you will no longer add to your feedback count by buying from sellers with auto-feedback enabled.

As far as the ordinary, everyday, mum-and-dad type sellers . . . . . they probably sell to get money and not feedback, so they probably wonโ€™t care if you do not leave feedback.  In fact, they will probably give it no thought whatsoever . . . . . so I hope you are not expecting a โ€œnah, nah, nah nah naโ€ moment!.

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

Feedback

@scorpiorac wrote:

RussScorpio.

Sellers will usually either leave feedback on payment or have their feedback set up to leave feedback when the buyer has left feedback for them (apart from those that leave feedback in bulk every few weeks or so) - so you might well be cutting your nose off to spite your face and lose all the feedback from sellers that only leave it after you have done so.

I haven't taken much notice of how many of my sellers do that because I'm not really interested in little green dots on a computer screen, but it is a significant number of them.

Edit. G'day SLR................

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

Feedback

padi, we could post a link to that sellerโ€™s feedback who lets buyers know that he is not impressed with them not leaving feedback!  It would be a green dot feedback, so russ should be happy (although I have heard that scorpioโ€™s are picky, pedantic, demanding and OCD in nature [see spoiler below]).

I wonder what russ would think of the feedback he received if he failed to leave feedback within the timeframe expected by that seller?  Of course, russ could then leave that seller a neg, or a โ€œhereโ€™s the feedback you asked forโ€ neutral!

Spoiler
I speak from experience when categorising scorpioโ€™s this way . . . . 
Spoiler
. . . . because I am a scorpio!
Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

Feedback

@k1ooo-slr-sales wrote:

padi, we could post a link to that sellerโ€™s feedback who lets buyers know that he is not impressed with them not leaving feedback!  

Best let sleeping dogs (and I mean that most sincerely, and not in the derogatory way) lie slr.     original.gif

Spoiler
Bad enough that that seller may have compromised their selling account....................

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

Feedback

@scorpiorac wrote:

from now on i will give no Feedback to a Seller until i have received Feedback as a Buyer.

Feedback is nice, but on the scale of what the most important things are for a successful transaction, mutual feedback would be pretty low on the list, if not last (maybe that's just my list, though). I dare say sellers who don't care about giving feedback, also don't care about getting it (I could be wrong, of course, I've come across a lot of buyers who care greatly about getting feedback but don't give it, so I am sure there are sellers like that, too Smiley LOL ). 

But, that's the beauty of feedback being voluntary - you get to choose if and when you leave it, as does every other member on eBay, whether they are a buyer or seller. It doesn't need to be held to "ransom", its function is to let other members know about your experience with a seller or buyer (debatable on the latter, or course), so this whole "I'm not telling others you're cool to deal with unless you tell others I'm cool to deal with first" thing seems a little trifling to me, but - as I said - each to their own.

Just as a little hypothetical / thought experiement, though.... Imagine eBay withdrew the option to leave buyers feedback. Would you still leave sellers feedback? Why / why not, and how does that reasoning match with the reasoning for the current decision? 

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

Feedback

@scorpiorac wrote:

RussScorpio.

Let me simplify it for you.

Feedback is voluntary.

Don't expect and you won't be disappointed.

(BTW, if you are not a seller then feedback as a buyer means nothing as buyers can only get positive now)

As an aside, you may be on my BBL because of not showing empathy or knowing the rules of eBay.

image host
Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

Feedback

Back when I started on Ebay in 2003, everybody left feedback for each other. In those days you could leave negatives for buyers, so everyone was keen to get green dots.

Since they changed the feedback rule some years ago and now buyers can only get green dots, feedback has become largely meaningless. 

Sure, I would live to have more green dots as I have almost 3500 transactions under my belt, but as you can see my feedback reflects only a third of my sales.

I don't leave feedback just because a buyer paid. My items are BIN with immediate payment required anyway, so that part is pointless. I'm also aware that some buyers can be problematic (I always look at their feedback left for sellers). If I see any concerns, I won't leave feedback automatically, as I'm sure not going to bump up a buyers green dots and then get pinged down the line.

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply