Fraud listings/seller

Hi all,

I have been looking for a new graphic card recently, and I came across an unrealistically cheap "Brand new" Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti (roughly 600AUD whereas others selling at 800+AUD used) from an international seller. Unfortunately I didn't pay attention and bought the item. After that I found out (i'm feeling stupid :(( ) the seller is very suspicious as follow

• account created literrally same day or a day before the listing
  • only three feedback ratings
  • the 3 feedback was on the same 1EUR random DVD listing
  • the DVD listing, the 3 sales and the 3 feedback happens back-to-back (new account so that's a big fat fraud flag). the GTX 1080 Ti listing goes up a few mins after the DVD listing is ended.
  • the DVD listing is from Ebay Austria (AT not AU), the GTX 1080 Ti listing is from Ebay Netherlands, the seller is in US and the currency is EUR (???)

The interesting part is I found out a few other seller accounts doing the same thing that same day (2 days ago), yesterday, and even today. New accounts created everyday doing the same obviously scammy stuff and even the feedbacks are coming from those same DVD buyers.

Can you all help me out and review the item listings, if they are indeed suspicious please help me report the listing/seller. (also as far as I'm aware, you have to open the item listing in ebay AU sites to report)

The listing for DVD is 

The listing for GTX 1080 Ti is 

Thanks and best regards to all,

TP.

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Fraud listings/seller

So after 10 days, I called up PayPal and they quickly closed the case in my favor, got my refund a moment later! Thanks everyone for reporting the scammer, otherwise it could have been a lengthy and frustrating dispute process that's not in my favor.

I have always been very careful with my purchases no matter big or small, but still can't help prevent an impulse buy. Gotta take heed of the good old lesson "if it's too good to be true, it's probably is"!

Sadly the scammer is still out there creating new accounts and fish for greedy buyers daily, it's inevitable that someone will fall for such trap. In case someone comes here for help, I'd recap what others have suggested me to do to great success (speical thanks to digital*ghost)!

• If you think you're scam, report the listing/seller. Ask the community for help.
  • If you're in luck, the seller got deregistered, raise a dispute with PayPal, if it's within 7 days of purchase then ring up PayPal to escalate to claim immediately, carefully explaining the situation
  • Wait for the 10 days or whatever period PayPal allows seller to respond, then just call up PayPal to close the case.

View solution in original post

Message 19 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Fraud listings/seller

I have reported both listings as fraudulent - the DVD listing is clearly to get a few quick FB points via other IDs, but I couldn't find a reason in the list that matched that specifically, so I just reported it under fraudulent listing activities as well. 

Message 2 of 19
Latest reply

Fraud listings/seller

Yeah I reported both listings under Fraudulent listing activities as well since they are related and support that fat fraud.
Message 3 of 19
Latest reply

Fraud listings/seller

The listings have been removed as well as the seller. Thanks everyone for the action! 

Now the part where I need to get refund. Anyone know if there's any faster refund process in the event of seller de-register other than wait 2-3 weeks to open a traditional "Item not received" case? I'll still feel nervous until I could get my money back.

Message 4 of 19
Latest reply

Fraud listings/seller

If it were me I would open a dispute in Paypal, escalate to a claim and then call them and explain it was a scam listing and the seller and listing have been removed from ebay. Even if they do not action  a refund straight away it will still be quicker than an ebay claim.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 5 of 19
Latest reply

Fraud listings/seller

Thanks. I have openned a dispute in PayPal Resolution center. However it says I can only escalate between 04/12 - 19/12, ie. next Tue. I thought escalation can be done anytime after a dispute is raised? Should I just wait til next Tuesday to escalate, or attempt to call PayPal support tomorrow to explain the situation?
Message 6 of 19
Latest reply

Fraud listings/seller

Call paypal.....it can't make the dispute process any slower and might speed it up a bit.

Message 7 of 19
Latest reply

Fraud listings/seller

@kingduytan2 wrote:
Thanks. I have openned a dispute in PayPal Resolution center. However it says I can only escalate between 04/12 - 19/12, ie. next Tue. I thought escalation can be done anytime after a dispute is raised? Should I just wait til next Tuesday to escalate, or attempt to call PayPal support tomorrow to explain the situation?

Usually when a listing is removed for being fraudulent, PayPal will refund relatively quickly - they may not do it instantly, but they'll hopefully at least manually escalate the claim since it prevented you from doing that in the dispute

I was going to message another member and ask them to advise, since this is one of their areas of expertise, but apparently I've reached the limit of PMs I can send through the forum so I was blocked from replying to or sending messages. Smiley Embarassed I think the phone call is the next, best step though. 

Message 8 of 19
Latest reply

Fraud listings/seller

I called up PayPal and indeed they agreed to manually escalate the case immediately after I explained the situation. She said they will contact the seller as well, not sure what for, I don't know their process but hopefully it will be resolved soon!
Message 9 of 19
Latest reply

Fraud listings/seller

I was going to message another member and ask them to advise, since this is one of their areas of expertise, but apparently I've reached the limit of PMs I can send through the forum so I was blocked from replying to or sending messages. Smiley Embarassed

Digi, time for some housekeeping.    Image result for smiley sweeping animated

Just delete some that are not needed, and Bob's ya uncle - room for more.

Message 10 of 19
Latest reply