Fraud listings/seller

Hi all,

I have been looking for a new graphic card recently, and I came across an unrealistically cheap "Brand new" Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti (roughly 600AUD whereas others selling at 800+AUD used) from an international seller. Unfortunately I didn't pay attention and bought the item. After that I found out (i'm feeling stupid :(( ) the seller is very suspicious as follow

• account created literrally same day or a day before the listing
  • only three feedback ratings
  • the 3 feedback was on the same 1EUR random DVD listing
  • the DVD listing, the 3 sales and the 3 feedback happens back-to-back (new account so that's a big fat fraud flag). the GTX 1080 Ti listing goes up a few mins after the DVD listing is ended.
  • the DVD listing is from Ebay Austria (AT not AU), the GTX 1080 Ti listing is from Ebay Netherlands, the seller is in US and the currency is EUR (???)

The interesting part is I found out a few other seller accounts doing the same thing that same day (2 days ago), yesterday, and even today. New accounts created everyday doing the same obviously scammy stuff and even the feedbacks are coming from those same DVD buyers.

Can you all help me out and review the item listings, if they are indeed suspicious please help me report the listing/seller. (also as far as I'm aware, you have to open the item listing in ebay AU sites to report)

The listing for DVD is 

The listing for GTX 1080 Ti is 

Thanks and best regards to all,

TP.

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Re: Fraud listings/seller

PayPal send an auto mail state that the seller has 10 days to provide info, after that if no show then case closes in my favour, it seems that's the standard process.. I guess the seller won't have the ball to show up. 

Interestingly, I check out the seller email in PayPal transaction, and found out there are a lot of scam listings/seller accounts goes by the same email prefix, proshop*some-number* (I have been observing 2-3 such accounts created daily). The number has reach 4xx makes me feel sick thinking how many may have fallen for this trap. Everyday there are at least 2 such accounts opened and put up same type of listing. It's amazing such organized scam has been going on for god-know-how-long.

Anyone knows if there's a way to report to Ebay/PayPal this type of repeated fraud?

Message 11 of 19
Latest reply

@kingduytan2 wrote:

PayPal send an auto mail state that the seller has 10 days to provide info, after that if no show then case closes in my favour, it seems that's the standard process.. I guess the seller won't have the ball to show up. 

Interestingly, I check out the seller email in PayPal transaction, and found out there are a lot of scam listings/seller accounts goes by the same email prefix, proshop*some-number* (I have been observing 2-3 such accounts created daily). The number has reach 4xx makes me feel sick thinking how many may have fallen for this trap. Everyday there are at least 2 such accounts opened and put up same type of listing. It's amazing such organized scam has been going on for god-know-how-long.

Anyone knows if there's a way to report to Ebay/PayPal this type of repeated fraud?

This is their new report proccess for reporting hassles with sellers and fraudulent sellers

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/buying/resolving-issues-sellers/report-issue-seller?id=4022

eBay in their "wisdom" have removed all the guides so that's another 5000 odd ways that Google wont pick up

things on/for eBay,(means all my guides are gone so I no longer have access to all that info and anyone

looking for that info can't either), stubborn_smiley_by_mirz123-d4bt0te_zps12f1a5a3.gif

The problem is that eBay have removed everythig that could be used or was helpfull in reporting scam listings

and getting them removed,(the Email option,the brief description box and now also the report links that I

had in my guides).

This is the time of year where you'll start getting more scam listings as the scammers see it as the best time

to list their item,(people/members are more likely to to try and grab something cheap from eBay without

checking out the seller).

As most are listed for the weekend they also know that any reported listings wont be removed,(which has been

the case for the last few years as they don't have enough staff to cover it all).

Three years ago there were a 150 scam sellers and each who listed 8 to 10 scam items at low prices in a 2

week period but some took over a month to get removed,(the estimated "sales" that they had was over 180

thousand dollars).

If that were to happen again now the most likely outcome would be Aussies out of pocket by over that amount

and the scammers having the freedom to do whatever they want,Angry head bang.gif

Message 12 of 19
Latest reply

go-tazz, the Have us call you link at the bottom of that very page appears to be a specific contact-by-phone way of reporting a problem with a seller.

Oh! And I just reported one of those fake rainbow seed items. I used this Report an item or listing page. I found that I had to have searched for the item before I reported it, and then I could select from three drop-down report categories:

• Copyright and trademark
  • Listing practices
  • Prohibited and restricted items

Under Copyright and trademark, there are these reasons for report:

• Bootleg recordings or counterfeit media
  • Counterfeit item or authenticity disclaimer
  • Descriptions that encourage infringement
  • eBay item infringes your intellectual property rights

Under Lilsting practices, there are these reasons for report::

• Avoiding eBay fees
  • Banned or inappropriate payment methods
  • Compilation and informational items
  • Duplicate listings
  • Feedback solicitation
  • Fraudulent listing activities
  • Inappropriate item description
  • Inappropriate seller terms
  • Links, logos, and videos
  • No item listings and inappropriate comments
  • Other listing practices
  • Search and browse manipulation
  • Stolen property

Under Prohibited and restricted items, there are these reasons for report:

• Adult material
  • Animals, plants, and wildlife
  • Artefacts and grave-related items
  • Credit cards
  • Drugs, alcohol, and tobacco
  • Electronics and electronic surveillance equipment
  • Firearms, weapons, and knives
  • Government and police-related items
  • Hazardous materials
  • Illegal items and items encouraging illegal activity
  • Offensive or violent material
  • Other prohibited or restricted items
  • Stamps, currency, and coins
  • Vehicles and vehicle parts and accessories

There is another drop-down field called Detailed reason, for each of the above options. Would it be useful if I copied those as well? There's a lot of them!

There's also a text field for a brief description (100 characters) once you click onto "Continue".

Message 13 of 19
Latest reply

@imastawka wrote:

Digi, time for some housekeeping.    Image result for smiley sweeping animated

Just delete some that are not needed, and Bob's ya uncle - room for more.

Housekeeping... I've heard of that. Smiley LOL

(Ta - it didn't even occur to me that was the issue Smiley Embarassed I thought they meant for the day, as another site limits how many PMs you can send per day). 

Message 14 of 19
Latest reply

I have to delete often, it keeps nagging me, and I can't send anything until I clean it out.

Spoiler
 I do like to keep some for blackmailing purposes though  punch.gif

Message 15 of 19
Latest reply

Thanks but I'm well versed in the report links as I've used them often enough,(don't do phone calls well as I was

born in Holland and learned English there so still have an accent that can be difficult to understand),blush-1.gif

The only one that suits for scam items is the Listing practices > Fraudulent listing activities > You suspect

that a listing is fraudulent,(which has: The listing has items being sold without the owner's authorisation.

You didn't bid).

Which used to have a brief description box where you could explain why the listing is fraudulent,(that box was

removed over three years ago and that only left the Email option as a way of reporting scam listing and that

was removed as well a few months ago).

Others that have the brief description box can't be used to report scam listing.

Most so called Trust & Safety personnel have no idea why a listing could be fraudulent so the brief description

gave then the clues as to why it had to be removed,(by removing that box they left their T & S personnel in

the dark and now 80% or more of scam listings aren't removed quickly enough).

I reported one recently for over 3 weeks before they finally removed it,(that was using the report links),stubborn_smiley_by_mirz123-d4bt0te_zps12f1a5a3.gif

Reporting individual items takes to long and when using the Email option they were given a full description

of the seller and why the account was hijacked or freshly created,why the items were fraudulent and links to

all of their listings,(the 150 plus scammers all created accounts in June,July and August and some bought low

cost items to build up feedback but most still had the 0 feedback score when they listed the scam items).

Message 16 of 19
Latest reply

Ah! Go-tazz, I thought you were saying that the drop-down options had vanished.

Als iemand klaagt over je accent, zeg hem dat het praatjesmakers zijn. We willen niet dat mensen een kat in de zak kopen, waar?

Message 17 of 19
Latest reply

Got part of that but had to use translate for the rest,(came here when I was 11 and haven't had much to do with

the Dutch language since,(been back to Holland twice but most can speak English and we got things accross

between my oldest brother and his wife).

Tryin to explain that my son had a green tree frog ended up with him on the floor imitaing one and he's 6 foot 4,(

in the end they got it as Kermit the frog/kikker),rofl.gif

Message 18 of 19
Latest reply

So after 10 days, I called up PayPal and they quickly closed the case in my favor, got my refund a moment later! Thanks everyone for reporting the scammer, otherwise it could have been a lengthy and frustrating dispute process that's not in my favor.

I have always been very careful with my purchases no matter big or small, but still can't help prevent an impulse buy. Gotta take heed of the good old lesson "if it's too good to be true, it's probably is"!

Sadly the scammer is still out there creating new accounts and fish for greedy buyers daily, it's inevitable that someone will fall for such trap. In case someone comes here for help, I'd recap what others have suggested me to do to great success (speical thanks to digital*ghost)!

• If you think you're scam, report the listing/seller. Ask the community for help.
  • If you're in luck, the seller got deregistered, raise a dispute with PayPal, if it's within 7 days of purchase then ring up PayPal to escalate to claim immediately, carefully explaining the situation
  • Wait for the 10 days or whatever period PayPal allows seller to respond, then just call up PayPal to close the case.
Message 19 of 19
Latest reply