GST Refund...

oonoh
Community Member

Have paid for an Overseas transaction, but the seller has chosen to supply the goods from an Australian Outlet.

Ebay has already taken the GST for the transaction, but as goods are being supplied within Australia the GST should be refunded.. correct.

So how does one contact Ebay for a refund of which they no longer have any right to retain.

Thank you all for you time and understanding on this matter

Message 1 of 23
Latest reply
22 REPLIES 22

GST Refund...

Wow,  this could be the greatest loophole in history  (Read Sarcasm)

I want to buy a brand new Ferrari,  should be able to save about  $ 200.000  Buying overseas, but collect it From their Aussie Distributor and not have to pay anything extra, No GST, No Duties Etc.   

Oh well, back to reality, Bugger

Message 11 of 23
Latest reply

GST Refund...

As long as you're dreaming, can you make it a Maserati and get a few with an additional group discount?

Message 12 of 23
Latest reply

GST Refund...

oonoh
Community Member

Thank you all for your replies as it is most appreciated.

Will be following it up with ebay to see what will happen.

To be charged GST once is acceptable but clearly this is a Double Dip on behalf of the Tax Office.

Clearly a Loop Hole that needs to be closed to stop any other buyer being caught out.

Thank you again to you all.

Message 13 of 23
Latest reply

GST Refund...

You have only been charged GST once.    If  I Buy an item from overseas  I Pay  10% GST.  If I  Then sell the item to you, you pay

10%  GST  and I am entitled to a  10% GST credit.

If you bought the item International Direct, you would be charged  10%  GST

If you buy international direct and the seller has an Australian distributor,  you still pay 10% GST

If you bought direct from Australian distributor, you still pay 10% GST

GST  Is a money go round, until the item reaches a consumer who is unable to claim a credit.

Message 14 of 23
Latest reply

GST Refund...

This was discussed before and I believe there was a link to something on the ATO's website. From memory, I'm pretty sure that if it's an overseas seller posting it to you from within Australia then GST has to be added at checkout. The post I remember was in relation to the Chinese avoiding the GST being applied to their items on ebay by selling on the AU site (or claiming to be selling from Australia) and that they should be reported to the ATO, not ebay.

I'm happy to be proven wrong. I'll see if I can find the thread but there's a few to wade through.
Message 15 of 23
Latest reply

GST Refund...

But again, if that were the case, item location wouldn't matter when it comes to the GST on imports, only seller location would.

Whether or not GST ultimately needs to be paid on the sale is kind of a moot point - the point up for discussion is really whether ebay should be collecting it in cases where a seller is located overseas, but the item is located in Australia.

It has clearly already been determined that eBay are not meant to collect GST on those sales, because they don't,. ever, and which is why sellers who state their item location as Australia falsely can be reported, because they are complicit in tax evasion. 

eBay collects GST on imports, the purchase wasn't an import. 

Message 16 of 23
Latest reply

GST Refund...

I'm sorry but I've read through a few older threads and I think the discussion I remember related to overseas sellers pretending their items were in Australia but sending them from overseas, which is a different issue.
Message 17 of 23
Latest reply

GST Refund...

Does buyer still need to pay for GST if the item never even lands in Australia, it's being ship direct from UK to USA?

Message 18 of 23
Latest reply

GST Refund...

Wrong thread but if the buyer is in Australia and buying from an overseas seller then yes, GST is still payable.

Message 19 of 23
Latest reply

GST Refund...

HI,

No Buyer is in USA. And Item is ship from UK to USA direct.

Message 20 of 23
Latest reply