GST on postage

Why are we being charged GST on postage when the Ebay info link on GST states that international mail is exempt?

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

GST on postage

LOL - I'm worried about the ' colour ' - lack of oxygen ??

Message 11 of 19
Latest reply

GST on postage

@violet_coloured_girl wrote:

@k1ooo-slr-sales wrote:

... they are not charging GST on postage, they are charging GST on the fees they charge.

And what fees are these? They are **postage** fees. 

Australia does not charge (nor does it have any right to charge) GST on French postage. They only have the right to charge GST on **Australian** postage ("Australia Post" postage), but they have decided to grant an exemption to that, so GST is not applicable to any postage. 

So, the application of GST to postage by eBay in inappropriate and possibly illegal.

you are so wrong on many levels.

I could say that I don’t have time for a detailed reply . . . but that would be a lie, I have all day!  It’s just that I couldn’t be bothered trying to educate you on eBay, fees and GST.  I am not passing judgement on your capacity to learn or be educated, that would be wrong of me, I truly just can’t be bothered!

I will say this though, the GST on Low Value Imports legislation does give the Government the legal right to charge GST on the total cost of an overseas eBay transaction, even if that total includes French postage.

And, again, eBay does not charge GST on Australian postage, they charge GST on eBay selling fees.

(End of lesson)

Message 12 of 19
Latest reply

GST on postage

Crikey - you just did - all of that. lol

Message 13 of 19
Latest reply

GST on postage

I know!

(But it is a good thing that I did not devote much time on my reply, good for everybody!)

Message 14 of 19
Latest reply

GST on postage

🤣

Message 15 of 19
Latest reply

GST on postage

when you buy a postage package from aust post u pay gst inclusive so why does ebay charge u again for postage fees which has already paid How can ebay charge again for the fees i have already paid including gst when they are not reciec=ving the goods

Message 16 of 19
Latest reply

GST on postage

i do not have time either but ebay charge for the sale of items %12 and on top of that they charge a GSTon postage fees which have already been paid to who delivers the package so what does ebay have to do with postage .They do not supply or send or give a service so far as postage goes so they are charging for a fee that has already been paid by the seller,Postage should have nothing to do with postage and handling as they do nopostage or handling

Message 17 of 19
Latest reply

GST on postage

go back and read the previous posts.

I will type it out slowly for you, well maybe read it slowly:

eBay do not charge GST on domestic postage.  They do charge sellers GST on the fees they pay, including the fees on postage.  When a member buys from overseas, they do charge GST on the postage paid on items under the GST on Low Value Imports legislation.

One last thing, do you know Stanley?  He should be along soon to leave a post, him or one of his friends!

Message 18 of 19
Latest reply

GST on postage

Hi everyone,

Due to the age of this thread, it has been closed to further replies. Please feel free to start a new thread HERE if you wish to continue to discuss this topic.

Thank you for understanding.

Message 19 of 19
Latest reply