GST on products bought from overseas. Just got stung!

Just got stung with a 10% GST when I bought a book fro the USA (not happy Mr Turnball)

Message 1 of 39
Latest reply
38 REPLIES 38

@k1ooo-slr-sales wrote:

wrote:

the day will come that an oprdinary transaction between two neighbours will have GST attatched to it because we are headed into a more cashless society as well. And I'll give you an example here. One neighbour has an unwanted item. A couch or coffee table. Other neighbour says   .. ..   "Hey, I wouldn't mind having that. I'll give you fifty bucks for that". Then there has to be a GST declaration made on that. This day will come. We will see private transactions having GST.

WOW!  You need to go to A Current Affair or other media outlet and let them know this so that all Australians will know this and not just the small number that read these boards.  I have not read that anywhere else so you need a wider audience before the next federal election so that the leaders can either confirm or deny that there will be GST on items you might buy from your neighbour or cousin!

Spoiler
not scaremongering, not one little bit.

a question for all to ponder . . . . . . if my neighbour IS my cousin, do I pay double GST under 4channelโ€™s plan supposed scenario?

Message 31 of 39
Latest reply

@k1ooo-slr-sales wrote:

@k1ooo-slr-sales wrote:

wrote:

the day will come that an oprdinary transaction between two neighbours will have GST attatched to it because we are headed into a more cashless society as well. And I'll give you an example here. One neighbour has an unwanted item. A couch or coffee table. Other neighbour says   .. ..   "Hey, I wouldn't mind having that. I'll give you fifty bucks for that". Then there has to be a GST declaration made on that. This day will come. We will see private transactions having GST.

WOW!  You need to go to A Current Affair or other media outlet and let them know this so that all Australians will know this and not just the small number that read these boards.  I have not read that anywhere else so you need a wider audience before the next federal election so that the leaders can either confirm or deny that there will be GST on items you might buy from your neighbour or cousin!

Spoiler
not scaremongering, not one little bit.

a question for all to ponder . . . . . . if my neighbour IS my cousin, do I pay double GST under 4channelโ€™s plan supposed scenario?

Smiley LOL Smiley LOL Smiley LOL 

4channel will be very disappointed if that's not the case.  He wouldn't know what to complain about if it didn't happen.

@lyndal, at least stamp duty is so far off topic that hopefully it'd keep him busy elsewhere and that the mods wouldn't allow that to be discussed like they allow the political discussion (one-sided) that seems to get through and that is totally irrelevant to the subject of buying on ebay.  The only thing relevant about GST in the context of buying on ebay is the fact that it's payable, not who originally brought in GST and changed the tax system, or which govt promised to abolish it but broke their promise.

Message 32 of 39
Latest reply

@4channel wrote:

@lyndal1838 wrote:

No, you will not pay GST on a car bought from your cousin....unless that cousin is registered for GST.

Please go away Lyndal

Are you really saying that you can repeat the same thing over and over but nobody else is allowed to have an opinion or express it?

Message 33 of 39
Latest reply

Trouble is brer he does not like facts.

He thinks it is OK to go into flights of fancy and scare the pants off posters who do not understand the GST (or the GSP, depending on what hobby horse he is on)

Cold hard facts don't sit well with him.

Message 34 of 39
Latest reply

@brerrabbit585 wrote:

@4channel wrote:

@lyndal1838 wrote:

No, you will not pay GST on a car bought from your cousin....unless that cousin is registered for GST.

Please go away Lyndal

Are you really saying that you can repeat the same thing over and over but nobody else is allowed to have an opinion or express it?

Not at all. Anyone can have their say. Just that Lyndal who I asked to leave me alone has been a pain as of late.

Message 35 of 39
Latest reply

@4channel wrote:

@brerrabbit585 wrote:

@4channel wrote:

@lyndal1838 wrote:

Please go away Lyndal

Not at all. Anyone can have their say. Just that Lyndal who I asked to leave me alone has been a pain as of late.

So you're saying anyone can have their say - except Lyndal?

Message 36 of 39
Latest reply

@4channel wrote:

@brerrabbit585 wrote:

@4channel wrote:

@lyndal1838 wrote:

Please go away Lyndal

then STOP asking questions in your posts as any member, including lyndal, is within their rights to reply to your posts that ask questions so as to inform those who read here of the answer to your question in a prompt manner.

You asked:

โ€œBTW: If you buy a car off your cousin who is just an oridinary, everyday dude / dudette, should you pay GST on that transaction?โ€

to which lyndal replied with:

โ€No, you will not pay GST on a car bought from your cousin....unless that cousin is registered for GST.โ€

So my questions to you are:

- do you think lyndal provided an incorrect answer to your question?

- why canโ€™t lyndal answer your questions?

- are your questions rhetorical and posed simply to stimulate discussion?

- How is lyndal answering your question any different from lyndal logging in with another ID and answering your question?  How would you know to complain about lyndal not leaving you alone if she used another ID?

Spoiler
sorry for calling you d!ck on another thread.  It was wrong.
Spoiler
I should have called you Frank
Spoiler
but spelt it with the NZ spelling for towns that start with an โ€œFโ€ sound

Message 37 of 39
Latest reply

Quote: brerrabbit585 

So you're saying anyone can have their say - except Lyndal?

Give it up will you?

Message 38 of 39
Latest reply

@4channel Quote: k1ooo-slr-sales 

Quote: k1ooo-slr-sales 

How is lyndal answering your question any different from lyndal logging in with another ID and answering your question?  How would you know to complain about lyndal not leaving you alone if she used another ID?

Spoiler

Quote:  k1ooo-slr-sales
Spoiler
sorry for calling you d!ck on another thread.  It was wrong.

Spoiler
I should have called you Frank

Spoiler
but spelt it with the NZ spelling for towns that start with an โ€œFโ€ sound

I'm done here. This is just too tiring to bother with.

Spoiler
Sorry k1ooo-slr-sales , I have no idea what you're on about with the Frank and the NZ sound. I'll just leave you to handle that one.
'
Have fun :  Cat Wink

Message 39 of 39
Latest reply