Get contact details of seller for warranty claim

I've bought a small electronic item on ebay from an Australian seller around 10 months ago.

Now the item stopped working recently and it's clearly an issue that would fall under warranty. I sent the seller 2 messages on ebay, but they won't reply at all. Given that it's more than 180 days, it's too late to open a case on ebay or Paypal.

Since I have no contact details of the seller other than an ebay username, I'm not sure what to do here.

Sending a letter, filing a complaint or applying to small claims court would be the logical next steps, but for all of this I need any sort of contact details.

Is there a way to get these from ebay? I couldn't find anything on the site.

Message 1 of 29
Latest reply
28 REPLIES 28

It is clearly stated by the ACCC that buyers have rights under Australian law.  It's obvious this is a convenient

Pontius Pilate approach by eBay. 
I have now contact Neil Mitchell of 3AW and I am filing a complaint with the ACCC.  As a retired issues management professional I've got sufficient time to take my issue to my local member and the relevant Minister. 
My seller won't respond to any of my messages not will he/she accept any offers or bids from me; eBay ignores the issue and somehow they all think this is just dandy. 
EBAY: wrong approach. Wrong guy. 
pcsmith-2009. 
Message 21 of 29
Latest reply

Firstly for a warranty to be valid the seller must be registered in Australia - look at their feedback for country of registration NOT on the listing.

Secondly the Australian registered seller must also be a authorised seller/reseller of the goods.

Thirdly, for the most part warranties on eBay are worthless bits of type on a listing.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 22 of 29
Latest reply

In addition to padi's pertinent points, it is nothing to do with eBay. It is between you and the seller (and maybe the ACCC).

eBay's MGB is NOT a warranty service. Nor is Paypal's. Nor is your bank's.

Message 23 of 29
Latest reply

You really need to figure out your legal responsibility before going public, but probably too late for that now.

Also if you want the sellers details, there are legal processes that you must follow.   If you really were a force to be reckoned with, then you would certainly be aware of this.

Ebay is not responsible for your warranty.

What type of product is involved, brand etc.   Have you contacted the Manufacturer to ascertain if the seller was authorised to offer a warranty,  and of course ascertain the conditions and liability of any manufacturers warranty.

Have you ever tried to make a claim  on a legitimate warranty,  for an electrical appliance.

Message 24 of 29
Latest reply

Unless the seller is a registered business in Australia, with an ABN, then Consumer Law doesn't apply. You could buy from me, I could jip you and there's absolutely nothing you can do about it in regards to Consumer Law. Nothing. Zip. Zilch. Consumer Law doesn't apply to me because I am a small time seller.

Message 25 of 29
Latest reply

Gyp

Message 26 of 29
Latest reply

As already stated, for legal purposes the seller has to be a registered business in Australia and an authorized reseller - if not, you cannot enforce it. Occasionally there are very honest sellers who (if they had promised a warranty) will help or replace out of their own pocket if they aren't a registered business and an authorized reseller, but this is extremely rare these days (unfortunately), so you should certainly not rely on it.

If you want to be sure that your warranty is legally valid, the seller has to be a registered business in Australia and an authorized reseller.

Message 27 of 29
Latest reply

Let it go man, it's been 10 months, it's electronic,  it hasn't been made to last, life expectancy  on electronic devices I Max of 12 months

Message 28 of 29
Latest reply

The original poster posted in November 2021. It’s been 2½ years since that opening post. I tend to think that by this time, the OP had indeed let it go. 😊

You can check the date of a thread (and last post) by looking at the top right of the post, and that will help to avoid dragging up dead threads. 

Message 29 of 29
Latest reply