Gixen (main vs mirror)

I have just purchased the paid version of Gixen, as 50 cents a month is not that much... 🙂 Now I have two options for my bids of course, main and mirror, and I was wondering which settings are usually recommended (how many seconds for the main site and for the mirror site)?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 19
Latest reply
18 REPLIES 18

Gixen (main vs mirror)

Right now I have set them both at 3 seconds, because if one is for example 6 seconds than somebody can still place a higher bid and outbid me?

Message 2 of 19
Latest reply

Gixen (main vs mirror)

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

I do not know much about sniping services but it does not make much sense to have them both set for the same time.

And even at 3 seconds you can still be outbid by someone placing a higher bid.  It is not the last bid that will win but the highest.

Message 3 of 19
Latest reply

Gixen (main vs mirror)

Well, yes, there is no warranty...They say so themselves. Someone who is desperate to have an item and places a very high bid will win. Some people seem to think that they will alwyas win if they use a sniping program and complain if they don't, give bad reviews, but of coruse they can still be outbid if their maximum bid is not exhorbitant.

I have checked the Gixen forums and there is no agreement concerning the main server and the mirror server times - not about whether it should be the same time or not, and not concerning when the bids ahould be placed (some think 3 seconds is too close...), so I guess I will just experiment and see how it goes.

Message 4 of 19
Latest reply

Gixen (main vs mirror)

Right now I have set them both at 3 seconds, because if one is for example 6 seconds than somebody can still place a higher bid and outbid me?

3 seconds is TOO SHORT to be 100% reliable. Plus there are other reasons not to go so "short"...

Mine is set as follows:

Your current country setting is: Australia

Gixen main target ebay site: Australia

Gixen mirror target ebay site: United States

Gixen main: 8 (seconds)

Gixen mirror: 6 (seconds)

----------

So, what this does is sends the first bid at 8 seconds to AU. Then 2 seconds later it sends another bid to USA. That way, in almost all cases teh AU account will win, which makes thinks a LOT easier (for a variety of reasons I won't discuss here).

If the AU snipe fails, the USA one will work instead. If both snipes work, the AU one will win because it is earlier.

There is absolutely no point trying to win in the last second. An earlier bid is actually BETTER, because it means that other bidder's offers will get rejected if they are not at least 1 bid increment above yours.

For example:

- You bid $50.00 at 8 seconds

- They bid $50.50 at 5 seconds - and that bid is rejected, so you win

Compared to same $ amounts, but you bid later

- They bid $50.50 at 5 seconds

- You bid $50.00 at 3 seconds - too low, you lose.

Message 5 of 19
Latest reply

Gixen (main vs mirror)

So, to summaries what I just wrote...

The EARLIER that you can bid, the better.

Highest bid wins, but ONLY if the eBay system will let you lodge it. That means it must be more than one bid increment higher than current price.

The idea of sniping is to beat nibble bidders, not other snipers.

Anything under 10 seconds will not allow nibble bidders enough time to have another attempt to outbid you.

Snipes at the last moment are likely to be rejected because you have to beat ALL the other people by at least one bid increment.

Lodging a high bid early (eg: at 10 seconds) does not disclose your bid... that will only happen after other snipers try to beat you at 5,4,3 seconds.

Message 6 of 19
Latest reply

Gixen (main vs mirror)

OK, thanks, I will change the settings. I see your point.

Message 7 of 19
Latest reply

Gixen (main vs mirror)

Just to be sure... I assume that the bid is sent from both the main server and the mirror one (I guess the mirror site doesn't know what is happening on the main site anyway)? Or is the second bid cancelled if the first goes through and there are no problems?

Message 8 of 19
Latest reply

Gixen (main vs mirror)

sparkes9669
Community Member

WIKI that both bids are sent incase of problems with the target server. I have seen on some of my snipes both bids counted as seperate bids although it didnt increase the final price

mariq7 try asking on the forums at the gixen site. the developer of the gixen site will answer. ( sounds like a fairytale but he will) I had questions that I asked there and they were answered inside of 18 hrs.

Message 9 of 19
Latest reply

Gixen (main vs mirror)

Thanks, sparkes. Yes, I think I will join the Gixen forum. They seem to be nice.

Message 10 of 19
Latest reply