Global Shipping Program put into perspective.

Here are a few tips that can make the GSP more palatable or explainable for buyers.

1.  If the GSP postage is very high compared to USPS or Royal Mail from the UK. Ask the seller to input dimensions and weight into the listing - this will usually drop the postage rate significantly (though not on heavy parcels where the GSP is usually the cheapest option anyway).

2. If multiple items are being bought as a BIN, ask the seller to make one listing of all the items so that they can be sent together and not incur multiple postage charges,

3. It's also possible to ask the seller to opt out of the GSP and send by their normal carrier - they may not want to do this as it reduces their seller protection significantly.

4. eBay opts sellers into the GSP by default, so they may well be unaware that they are even posting overseas since all they will see as a shipping address is their countrie's GSP shipping hub. Often if the buyer sends a screen shot of the postage amount they will be amenable to enact the steps above.

5. Long delivery times?  Nothing much can be done about that buyers just have to be aware that sometimes parcels will do a scenic trip of the seller's country before being processed.

6. Pitney Bowes (GSP) will confiscate a number of items that they deem to be prohibited exports, these include any knife (even a butter knife), guitars, drums etc.  When they confiscate these the buyer will have to jump through hoops to get their money back from Pitney Bowes, while Pitney Bowes will put those item up for sale on their own eBay sites.

7. Pitney Bowes will often but not always repack items, so if the item is fragile maybe think twice about it and look for a different seller of that item, if the seller won't opt out of the GSP for you.

The GSP isn't necessarily the draconian monster that some members here portray it as, if some of the steps above are implemented.

I don't have the opt-out procedure to hand so if any members do have it could they post the steps here please.

Apologies for the long post, but getting an honest perspective of the GSP to my mind is more important than arbitrarily shooting the system down, and not giving the other side of the story.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 1 of 92
Latest reply
91 REPLIES 91

Well said! No matter what carp gets posted after your OP, at least people who need help will see your post before the others and it won't be lost among all the irrational "let's complain about the GSP" posts.
Message 2 of 92
Latest reply

imastawka
Honored Contributor

For future reference, if you don't want a seller to post using the GSP then

ask in advance if they would opt out of the program.  Most sellers don't even

know they've been opted in.  Ebay opts them in automatically.

Make a note of these instructions for your future sellers -

To opt out of the GSP, US sellers only have to go into

(My eBay summary page)

account > site preferences > shipping preferences > Offer the Global Shipping Program > edit > no

Message 3 of 92
Latest reply

Good talk.

image host
Message 4 of 92
Latest reply

Padi, perfectly worded. One big slobby alpaca kiss for you!

Opting out link is here: https://www.ebay.com/help/global-shipping-program/default/global-shipping-program?id=4646

Opting out of the Global Shipping Program

You can opt out of the Global Shipping program at any time. Here’s how:

1. Go to Site Preferences in My eBay.
  2. Beside Shipping Preferences, select Show.
  3. Select Edit beside Offer the Global Shipping Program, and then Opt out.
  4. Review the information and if you still wish to opt out, select Continue. If you wish to opt back in, you’ll need to wait 24 hours.

You can also remove a single active listing from the Global Shipping Program. Here's how:

1. Select Active under the Listing tab in Seller Hub.
  2. Select the listing you'd like to change.
  3. In the Edit dropdown menu, choose Edit selected.
  4. In the Add shipping details section, select Edit selected policy.
  5. 5.    In the International shipping section of the Edit shipping policy dialogue box, clear the tick box beside Send it to the US shipping center, and the rest will be taken care of for you.
  6. Save and confirm your changes.

To remove all active listings from the Global Shipping Program:

1. Select Active under the Listing tab in Seller Hub.
  2. In the Edit dropdown menu, select Edit all listings.
  3. Select all of your listings by checking the box at the top of the left column.
  4. In the Edit dropdown menu, select Shipping policy.
  5. In the Edit business policies dialogue box, select Change to from the Shipping policy dropdown menu, and then select Edit next to the shipping policy name.
  6. In the International shipping area of the Edit shipping policy dialogue box, clear the tick box beside Send it to the US shipping center, and the rest will be taken care of for you.
  7. Save, confirm, and submit your changes.
Message 5 of 92
Latest reply

What's the bet this thread doesn't get bumped? It's waaaay too positive!!  Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 92
Latest reply

Thanks everyone for the support, as I said far too many threads have been dredged up purely to vilify the GSP without telling members the many ways around the problems. So I felt it was about time a balanced view of it was expressed on the boards.

Thanks in particular to Stawks and countess (especially for the single opt-out).  original.gif

Spoiler
Though I'm not sure about the sloppy Paccy kiss - could end up very messy...............original.gif 

I'd just like to say that while not being a fan in any way of the GSP, and I do avoid sellers who use it, there are certainly incentives for sellers to use it in the US and UK - in particular the protection it offers them. 

Edit. rabbit, I reckon there's a darn good chance it will get bumped when other "relevant" threads are bumped.

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 7 of 92
Latest reply

This thread is a bit far down the page for my liking so I will give it a gentle bump.

Message 8 of 92
Latest reply

Spoiler

There once was a stroppy alpaca

Who with spit was a seasoned attacker

Each kiss frothed with slobber

For her dear old cobber

Was locked on - right on the smacker!

I contemplated buying some items using the GSP as postage, but so far haven't found anything tempting. Postage cost for items purchased overseas will of course be reflective of the GST changes once we reach July.

Message 9 of 92
Latest reply

Whaaaaaarrrt???? No response from the anti GSP brigade? I thought it would be way too tempting.

Message 10 of 92
Latest reply