Global Shipping Program

Buyers beware of sellers in the USA who are on the Global Shipping Program. I recently bought 4 watches from the same seller in the USA, and when I went to pay, there were 4 shipping costs - $17.70, $17.40, $17.80 and $17.89. (Try and work out why they were all different???). When I asked the seller to combine the posting, he replied that he cannot as the Global Shipping Program does not allow him to combine.

When I messaged eBay about this I received a message back that said in part "The seller doesn't know the import cost since it is the global shipping provider that would determine depending on your location. Thus, the US sellers are not allowed to combine postage." That is a load of crock. THERE IS NO IMPORT COST FOR WATCHES INTO AUSTRALIA. I have imported for the last 2 years.

Talk about getting ripped-off.

Pitney Bowes are the Global Shippers, and their site reads "AFTER you've completed checkout, you can review these charges on the Order Details page. The Order Details page shows the total charges and the payment amounts to the seller and the payment amount that went to the global shipping provider".

The seller posts your item to Pitney Bowes and they forward post it to you.

I read up on this Global Shipping Program and it says that they are not affiliated with eBay, yet eBay obviously gets a kick-back from them. This is what their site reads under "Description of Fees"::

1. U.S. Shipping Fee

2. International Shipping Fee

3. Fuel Surcharge

4. Transportation Fee

5. Parcel Processing Service Fee

6. Distribution Center Management Fee

7. Loss Management Fee

8. Transportation Risk Premium Fee

9. Referral Fee - a variable fee paid by Pitney Bowes to eBay Inc. for referring you to the program.

I wonder, if ever, when eBay will stop it's quest for greed at the expense of the buyers and sellers. There are millions of items sold and bought on eBay every day. When is "enough" enough??

Message 1 of 228
Latest reply
227 REPLIES 227

Global Shipping Program

As Padi said, we were all aware that your item was not a laser pointer but that fact is often missed by Pitney Bowes.  Just the word laser is enough to make them refuse to send the item.

As an example, they refuse to send any knife whatsoever to Australia even though there are only a very few really dangerous knives on the Restricted list.

Those of us who have been around since the GSP was first introduced have learned to look at all the words of the item title and try to work out just which one may cause problems.

Message 221 of 228
Latest reply

Global Shipping Program

The INAD was done through ebay. I've read elsewhere on the forums that is the way to go to ensure you get both the cost of the item and the cost for pitney to mess up your package.

As for knowing it wasn't a laser pointer, I too understand that pitney may just see laser on the box and refuse to forward it on. I was just kidding about the fact you'd be hard pressed to use this thing as a pointer unless you stick a mirror in front of it and direct it that way - theres more than one way this laser when operating can bite you 🙂

Message 222 of 228
Latest reply

Global Shipping Program

The reason for using ebay for an INAD dispute is not so much to get your original postage back but to have the return postage paid by the seller if they want the item returned.

It used to be that the sellralways had to pay the return postage but the policy has been watered down considerably and you cannot be so sure that it will happen.

You can use the paypal dispute but make sure you opt into their return postage paid scheme before you open the dispute.

Message 223 of 228
Latest reply

Global Shipping Program

Just touching base - the seller wanted pictures of the laser, and I took some and was about to upload when the email appeared "you have been given a full refund" etc. I sure hope it didn't come out of the sellers pocket as it wasn't his fault the laser arrived ruined.

Message 224 of 228
Latest reply

Global Shipping Program

You will only stop it with “fair trading” legislation.

unreasonable postage charges/fees

they are a monopoly and are using their monopolistic position to extort users of their services

there may already be legislation in the states to address these issues

Message 225 of 228
Latest reply

Global Shipping Program

You won't stop it because it isn't subject to Australian legislation. I doubt the US government cares what US companies gouge overseas sellers.

This thread is almost ELEVEN YEARS old! Do you really think your non-solution is timely or relevant?

Message 226 of 228
Latest reply

Global Shipping Program

overseas sellers

That should be buyers.

Message 227 of 228
Latest reply

Global Shipping Program

Hello ebveryone, 

Due to the age of this thread, we have locked it from further comment.

Thanks

Message 228 of 228
Latest reply