Global Shipping "What is the deal"? Ridiculous amounts!

I recently purchased three items from a seller who uses the Global Shipping Service. I got very cranky when I paid for what I beleive is excessive costs to send using Global Shipping. The cost being around a third of my entire order using Global Shipping for a non-commercial order. I have copied and pasted part of the the receipt below. Sent by normal post I do not need any help with clearing customs. I will not shop again with a seller who uses this service, I think it is a complete rip off.

What is the deal, can someone explain this nonsense to me please?  Does Ebay own this Service? I reckon they would!

. Shipping and handling $10.75 USD
Tax amount
Total $77.75 USD
Payment $77.75 USD
Payment sent to: xxxxxxxxxx

International Shipping and Import Charge

Transaction ID: 6NT06795TH623212B

A separate payment was sent to this global shipping company to ship your package and to clear customs.

Amount
International shipping and Import charge
$35.25 USD
Total $35.25 USD
Payment $35.25 USD
From amount
To amount
Exchange rate
Payment sent to: pbecommerce

Message 1 of 48
Latest reply
2 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

Accepted Solutions

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

If this is the first time you have used the GSP then you are extremely lucky. 

The "service" has been in use for some years now and it is not getting any better as it becomes more widely used.   It is still slow and expensive and Pitney Bowes is a law unto themselves as to what they will ship to Australia.

In fairness to sellers, many of them have no idea that their goods are even being shipped overseas as ebay opts them in without any notification.  And even if they do know, most of them have no idea how expensive it is as they never seen the money that goes straight to Pitney Bowes.

The whole concept is great for sellers and many of them are happy to go along with it.....they are shielded from bad feedback involving shipping times and costs (ebay removes the bad feedback from disgruntled customers), the Customs paperwork is taken out of their hands and done by PB and the parcels are fully insured at no cost to the seller.

And just to put the icing on the cake.....the goods are shipped the Australia by FedEx at supposedly Priority shipping rates BUT PB only pay for Economy shipping and we get very slow delivery as a consequence.

Another problem with the GSP is that they do not combine postage....if you buy 3 items you pay the postage 3 times.

On the other hand the GSP from the UK is very different.   I used it just before Christmas for a number of items from the same seller and the shipping seemed to be combined in some way as it ended up considerably cheaper than the postage on one item.

And they arrived very promptly.....9 days after payment.

This is a whole lot better than shipping times from the USA through the GSP.

You can do a search of the boards and find plenty of complaints about the GSP over the years.

Unfortunately it is not going to get much better unless/until sellers start to understand how the system affects overseas buyers.

Most of us avoid it like the plague but it is becoming more difficult as more and more sellers are using it.

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 48
Latest reply

@locall1961 wrote:
If EBay don't get anything out of this, why do they put GSP down as the default option for shipping and why do they remove bad feedback about it?

eBay put the GSP as a default on USA listings for a number of reasons:

- it has been reported that they do have a financial interest in Pitney Bowes, so when the GSP is used they get a cut of the proceeds

- there are many USA sellers who, much like many Australian sellers, do not wish to sell/ship internationally.  That is until they were opted in to the GSP, and even then they may not be aware that they are selling internationally as the buyer's address comes up as the PB address in Erlanger Kentucky.

- widening the range of buyers who can buy from USA sellers increases eBay profits through increased revenues from higher prices on auction items as there are potentially more bidders, and if an international buyer is unsuccessful in an auction then they have helped to bump up the price, leading to higher fees even though the item remains in the USA.

There are a number of reasons why USA sellers using the GSP are shielded from negative feedback:

- eBay wants sellers to continue using the GSP so that they continue to sell and ship internationally, albeit through a third party.  If they get negative feedback because to long delivery times they would stop using the GSP, and this would impact on eBay profits. So, sellers can not receive negative on the grounds of long or delayed delivery times.

- sellers do not set the rate charged by PB, although they can do something about reducing the cost to the lowest price possible while still using the GSP.  What they need to do is make sure they input the item weight and dimensions so that an accurate figure can be charged. When they do not input the weight and dimensions the item is charged a higher rate based on other items in the same category i.e. it tries to make a best guess of an appropriate rate while ensuring the rate is not underestimated.  This means a small or light item may be charged at the same rate as a much larger and heavier item. For this reason, eBay shield the seller from negative feedback on the grounds of postage/shipping charges.

- because items sent to PB are meant to be inspected and repacked by PB the seller is shielded from negative feedback on the grounds of poor packaging or items being broken in transit.

- PB is responsible for filling out customs forms and collecting and then paying customs fees should they be due.  If the amount charged for customs fees is excessive or incorrect, or an item is delayed due to incorrectly filed customers forms, then this is not the fault of the seller.  For this reason they are shielded from negative feedback.

- there are items that are sold internationally that PB decides can not be sent to Australia.  Some of these decisions by PB are difficult to understand.  For example, if you buy a butter knife from a USA seller using the GSP then PB will not process the item for shipping to Australia.  The same has been anecdotally reported about not sending a guitar to Australia.  Furthermore, they will not return the item to the seller and will, instead, sell the item on their own eBay ID.  For this reason the seller is shielded from negative feedback when PB refuse to send the item to Australia.

Now, before anyone gets the idea that I am an apologist for the GSP, then they should read any and all posts I have posted about the GSP.  I understand the GSP and how it operates, and post objectively about the GSP.  Nothing I have written above is in support or against the GSP.  I am only posting facts and anecdotes about the GSP in reply to questions asked by another poster in the post that I have quoted at the top of this post.

Additionally, I will declare that I have bought items from the USA that I could only buy because of the GSP as the sellers of those items did not wish to sell internationally which would have excluded me from purchasing.  I have had success in getting sellers of GSP items to input weight and dimensions into their item listings so that the GSP rate could be more accurately reflected in the shipping charges.

Take a look at this thread for some examples of GSP stupidity, but also take note of afantiques post about communicating with sellers to get a more realistic GSP charge applied to a listing:

http://community.ebay.com.au/t5/Buying/GSP-stupidity-documented-on-this-thread/td-p/1708839

Please do not post on that thread though as it is an old thread.

View solution in original post

Message 22 of 48
Latest reply
47 REPLIES 47

If it's the Global Shipping Program you're talking about, then no, it's not owned by eBay it's run by Pitney Bowes.

The only time it is cost-effective is with large items, or the seller puts in the weight and dimensions of the parcel.

Often the seller doesn't know that the GSP is being used as eBay puts in that option by default for the seller.

There have been many problems with the GSP like them repacking the parcel into less sound packaging to save weight, refusing to on-send items and using slow postage options - the list goes on......................

"Start me up I'll never stop......"
Message 2 of 48
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

If this is the first time you have used the GSP then you are extremely lucky. 

The "service" has been in use for some years now and it is not getting any better as it becomes more widely used.   It is still slow and expensive and Pitney Bowes is a law unto themselves as to what they will ship to Australia.

In fairness to sellers, many of them have no idea that their goods are even being shipped overseas as ebay opts them in without any notification.  And even if they do know, most of them have no idea how expensive it is as they never seen the money that goes straight to Pitney Bowes.

The whole concept is great for sellers and many of them are happy to go along with it.....they are shielded from bad feedback involving shipping times and costs (ebay removes the bad feedback from disgruntled customers), the Customs paperwork is taken out of their hands and done by PB and the parcels are fully insured at no cost to the seller.

And just to put the icing on the cake.....the goods are shipped the Australia by FedEx at supposedly Priority shipping rates BUT PB only pay for Economy shipping and we get very slow delivery as a consequence.

Another problem with the GSP is that they do not combine postage....if you buy 3 items you pay the postage 3 times.

On the other hand the GSP from the UK is very different.   I used it just before Christmas for a number of items from the same seller and the shipping seemed to be combined in some way as it ended up considerably cheaper than the postage on one item.

And they arrived very promptly.....9 days after payment.

This is a whole lot better than shipping times from the USA through the GSP.

You can do a search of the boards and find plenty of complaints about the GSP over the years.

Unfortunately it is not going to get much better unless/until sellers start to understand how the system affects overseas buyers.

Most of us avoid it like the plague but it is becoming more difficult as more and more sellers are using it.

Message 3 of 48
Latest reply

Thank you for your reply. 

Yep not impressed either, what are they thinking! Making it harder for everyone!

Shaz

Message 4 of 48
Latest reply

Thanks for your reply it is very informative. I have let the seller know as she didn't understand after I got cranky with the amount of postage I was paying and her inability to combine postage. Really not impressed at all! 

Regards 

Shaz

Message 5 of 48
Latest reply

There is no point getting angry with the seller over their inability to combine postage.

In many cases they do send the items to Pitney Bowes in one parcel....and PB will send it on to you in one parcel.  But PB will bill you for each parcel seperately.

Are you serious that you have not encountered the GSP before now?  It has been in use for a number of years.  It really is the shipping system from h*ll.

Message 6 of 48
Latest reply

For the first time I engaged in this filthy vile global shi**ng process. I purchased off a seller because I really needed the articles. .Yes I know I was paying double postage but it was going to be a first and a last time! Once he (The seller) was able to change it to First Class International  in a previous transaction we had, but this choice has somehow now been denied to him.  So OK I paid the extra money and he sent it. Apparently the article is in Australia. Either at Fed ex depot somewhere or customs.  Now I am being threatened by Fed Ex that if I don't provide my full name and phone number contact details, my parcel which is SUPPOSEDLY being held by Australian Customs will be sent back to the seller in the US.  Funny though as all parcels just have my fierst name initial and surname and they sail through to my P.O. Box without hassle via First Class International postage.

Now with this Global-Shi**ing-Pitney Bowes-Fed-ex **bleep**, I am disgusted.

This is info gathering on names and info. I hope I am not going to be harassed by telemarketers now.

Sickening. If more sellers are going Global Shi**ting then I am going to follow te others and buy elswhere.

Message 7 of 48
Latest reply

For future reference, if you don't want a seller to post using the GSP then

ask in advance if they would opt out of the program.   Most sellers don't even

know they've been opted in.  Ebay opts them in automatically.

Make a note of these instructions for your future sellers -

To opt out of the GSP, US sellers only have to go into

(My eBay summary page)

account > site preferences > shipping preferences > Offer the Global Shipping Program > edit > no

Message 8 of 48
Latest reply

If you want the items then you must provide your details.....for a start courier companies need your phone number and Customs can demand your full name and address.   It has nothing to do with telemarketers.

The difference between USPS and FedEx is that USPS is the equivalent of Australia Post and AP make the delivery once the item arrives here.  FedEx is a courier company and cannot deliver to a PO box.

Message 9 of 48
Latest reply

Thanks for the advice imastkawa,. You are right, most sellers don't know. 

But ..... Some don't care. Some in the minority enjoy the "Power Thing" too, knowing that a buyer , collector will pay more and it gives them a feeling of "aboveness". Some sellers are intimidated by this vile scheme and go along with it regardless. Yes ....    and make no mistake, Global Shipping is vile!!

Message 10 of 48
Latest reply