Global shipping rip off

Why do people use this Global shipping, their prices are of the planet. Looked at a small gasket set selling for £5 from UK & global Shipping quote £32.54 postage. I just avoid any one who has Global Shipping & I know quite a few people who do to.

Message 1 of 33
Latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

Global shipping rip off

You wrote - "It is all very well to espouse the use of USPS First Class International but many sellers will simply refuse to use it as it is not trackable.  Even if sellers know about and use eDelcon it is often only trackable within the USA.   Once it leaves the USA the sellers lose all the protection provided by online tracking.   Even some of the USPS Premium services are not trackable to the standard required by paypal and ebay in the event of a dispute."

Not at all. The majority of sellers I have purchased from in the past, and I am talking 98% of them were more than happy to sent items via First Class International. And even another USPS service, priority and other with tracking etc is still cheaper than this horrid Global Shipping.

You wrote - "In addition, USPS First Class in only for low weight items....under 4lbs."

Not quite true. Many sellers who sell hi-fi ites, components etc that are heavier than 4LBS come well under the cost of what Global Shipping (Pitney Bowes) charge.  I have made the comparison as I occasionally purchase Hi-Fi items.

You wrote - "While First Class International is ideal for smaller and cheaper items, if a seller is shipping larger items the GSP is very cost effective and the seller gets full tracking and insurance to ebay/paypal standard in the event of a dispute."

With larger items, they seldom get lost i post when delivered to a P.O. Box as they got straight to the local P.O.. When a buyer doesn't have a P.O. box, they get a card delivered to their mail box at their home address for an item to be picked up at the local P.O.
I have engaged with sellers twice that use Pitnely Bowes Global Shipping. Both of them a hassle. One was a great seller  who did all the right things but then couldn't change his page. Because the items were rare I bit the bullet. I paid an extra $25 for postage. Got the items but not without hassle. They nearly sent them back to the US. Customer service was just average after having to make a few calls. The other experience was a non-starter. I never even got the item I bid on and won. I am still saddened by that event. I may share details of  that uncool experience at a later date.

Message 11 of 33
Latest reply

Global shipping rip off

'OFF'...the planet!!
Message 12 of 33
Latest reply

Global shipping rip off

Oh great.  You resurrect a zombie thread to correct the OP's spelling?

Message 13 of 33
Latest reply

Global shipping rip off

GSP worked ot ok for me i orderd a fuel tank for my car ex US ad shipping was by far the cheapest !

Message 14 of 33
Latest reply

Global shipping rip off

It is OK for big/bulky items, not for small items.

Message 15 of 33
Latest reply

Global shipping rip off

@papermoon.ladywrote:

Hi mariq7, yes and the hundreds of thousands of small items going through GSP, they are making a huge profit. Problem is that poor people buying these items are facing having to pay $30 to $40 postage for an item that via USPS or GB Post only costs $12 or $6.

I am yet to be convinced thatGlobal Shipping is better for larger items. I believe there is a service that comes cheaper than GSP  for large items.

Anyway, it is a rip off.

Message 16 of 33
Latest reply

Global shipping rip off

I agree. I mostly buy small items anyway and totally avoid GSP. As I said yesterday, I wish there was an option to exclude it from searches, something like "direct shipping only" in the search options.

Message 17 of 33
Latest reply

Global shipping rip off

@papermoon.ladywrote:

I agree. I mostly buy small items anyway and totally avoid GSP. As I said yesterday, I wish there was an option to exclude it from searches, something like "direct shipping only" in the search options.

That would be a great idea mariq7, That would make life easier.

I also believe that we should reward no-GSP sellers with feedback such as  ....  Great service and thanks for protecting the rights of consumers by not using GSP / Pitney Bowes.  Obviously there's not enough room in the box to put all that. So I think just  ...  Great service, and thanks for not listing with GSP.

Message 18 of 33
Latest reply

Global shipping rip off

@4channelwrote:

@papermoon.ladywrote:

Hi mariq7, yes and the hundreds of thousands of small items going through GSP, they are making a huge profit. Problem is that poor people buying these items are facing having to pay $30 to $40 postage for an item that via USPS or GB Post only costs $12 or $6.

I am yet to be convinced thatGlobal Shipping is better for larger items. I believe there is a service that comes cheaper than GSP  for large items.

Anyway, it is a rip off.

How would you know when all you do is bag them out? The large item I bought was half the cost being sent GSP than what it was to be sent USPS. But, that would destroy your hate campaign, wouldn't it?

Message 19 of 33
Latest reply

Global shipping rip off

Plus the ambiguous list of what is considered "illegal" to ship with GSP even though legal to buy import or ship yourself.
Message 20 of 33
Latest reply