Global shipping rip off

Why do people use this Global shipping, their prices are of the planet. Looked at a small gasket set selling for £5 from UK & global Shipping quote £32.54 postage. I just avoid any one who has Global Shipping & I know quite a few people who do to.

Message 1 of 33
Latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

Global shipping rip off

@letscleanupmycupboardswrote:
Plus the ambiguous list of what is considered "illegal" to ship with GSP even though legal to buy import or ship yourself.

Yes, that's another problem with this. Also a check at customs and on that list are fine to carry on on their journey to the buyer. A source of frustration for many buyers.

Message 21 of 33
Latest reply

Global shipping rip off

p4kvic
Community Member

yes it is a rip off but if you want something then they have you by the ......,what annoys me more is the fact that post is listed as express post when it acually is sent by standard post,i have several examples.

Message 22 of 33
Latest reply

Global shipping rip off

The GSP is an International courier service provided by FedEx. Although it states that it is an Express service FedEx only gets paid for a standard service.  Once the parcels arrive in Australia they are either delivered by FedEx themselves (or another courier company if FedEx do not deliver to the area) or handed to Australia Post for delivery as an eParcel.

Message 23 of 33
Latest reply

Global shipping rip off

I got ripped of by ebay for international shipping. They charged me for three times for on shipment, and they have not refunded my money. How do we make this widly known, so people outside the US know not to trust ebay? Twitter?

Message 24 of 33
Latest reply

Global shipping rip off

Your seller is using the GSP.  If you read the Terms of the GSP you will see that combined postage is not used.

It is not ebay who is charging you full postage for your three items but the shipping company who provides the GSP.

After all the years hat it has been in use, it is highly unlikely that ebay will stop using it just because you don't like it.

Message 25 of 33
Latest reply

Global shipping rip off

@stevensea,

You may want to read the following from the Global Shipping Program - How it works page.

Why can't I combine shipping? 

Import fees and shipping charges vary from category to category, and from item to item. Therefore, each Global Shipping Program transaction must be treated on an individual basis to ensure that the proper import fees and shipping charges are applied. However, items can sometimes be shipped together if:

All items from a single GSP order should be shipped in one box whenever possible. Items from a single order can sometimes be packaged separately to ensure secure transit, and to stay within the weight and dimension limits specified in the Program.❞

That is, the seller as a general rule cannot combine shipping on GSP transactions. There are some exceptions (according to that FAQ page), but I've never heard of them being mentioned on these boards. It might be an exception on paper that never happens in actuality, for all that I know...

On the same page:

Why can't I offer a combined shipping discount?

At this time sellers are not able to offer combined shipping discounts on GSP orders. However, when a buyer pays for 2 or more items from a seller through GSP, the international shipping cost is a combined cost for the full order. Combining costs in this way can save buyers money on import charges.❞

Again, I've never heard any mention of an import charge saving for buyers purchasing multiple items through the GSP...

The basic information given here is that, as a general rule, it's not possible for a seller to combine shipping or offer a combined shipping discount for GSP transactions.

Message 26 of 33
Latest reply

Global shipping rip off

As they say I'm back, Interesting the comments from a thread I started quite a while ago, I would like to give an example of how Pitney Bowes works. I wanted to buy a spanner, cost 9 pound but they wanted 23 pound postage plus an exorbitant import duty. I emailed the seller to see if he could lower the postage & he said he could not. He sent all his goods to Pitney Bowes for 2.80 pounds & they do every thing. He ends up receiving 6.80 ponds for his article. He could not work out that he could have sold it to me for 9 pounds charged me 10 pounds for postage which he would have made another couple of pounds but he only ended up with a lousy 6.80 pounds going with Pitney Bowes. Also a lot of people in this thread don't realise Pitney Bowes is owned  by Ebay.

Message 27 of 33
Latest reply

Global shipping rip off

@oztralien wrote:

w . Also a lot of people in this thread don't realise Pitney Bowes is owned  by Ebay.

https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20191202005756/en/Syncsort-Completes-Acquisition-Pitney-Bowes...

Message 28 of 33
Latest reply

Global shipping rip off

Pitney Bowes is an American technology company most known for its postage meters and other mailing equipment and services, and with expansions, into e-commerce, software, and other technologies.

I would like to know where I can find proof that PB is owned by eBay. I certainly haven't been able to find anything, but you obviously know more than I.

As far as your UK seller not getting a couple more pounds for a spanner, if they shipped directly to you they would be paying sales fees on the entire amount, including the higher postage, and would end up with less money. And much shakier seller protection. A part of why sellers use the GSP is that once it lands at the GSP depot, they are protected from claims from buyers for a lot of things fraudently claimed by buyers.

I might have said it in this thread, or one of the many others on this subject, but I don't sell overseas. Period. If the GSP was introduced here, I would not sell overseas. If an overseas buyer bought through the GSP, I would be shipping to Australia. And paying less fees because postage would be lower.

Message 29 of 33
Latest reply

Global shipping rip off

@oztralien wrote:

As they say I'm back, Interesting the comments from a thread I started quite a while ago, I would like to give an example of how Pitney Bowes works. I wanted to buy a spanner, cost 9 pound but they wanted 23 pound postage plus an exorbitant import duty. I emailed the seller to see if he could lower the postage & he said he could not. He sent all his goods to Pitney Bowes for 2.80 pounds & they do every thing. He ends up receiving 6.80 ponds for his article. He could not work out that he could have sold it to me for 9 pounds charged me 10 pounds for postage which he would have made another couple of pounds but he only ended up with a lousy 6.80 pounds going with Pitney Bowes. Also a lot of people in this thread don't realise Pitney Bowes is owned  by Ebay.

Alternative explanation: the seller decided that filling out additional customs and shipping paperwork, lining up at the P.O. counter with their ID, and exposing themselves to additonal risk if something goes wrong in transit, wasn't worth a lousy couple of extra pounds.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 30 of 33
Latest reply