Global shipping rip off

Why do people use this Global shipping, their prices are of the planet. Looked at a small gasket set selling for £5 from UK & global Shipping quote £32.54 postage. I just avoid any one who has Global Shipping & I know quite a few people who do to.

Message 1 of 33
Latest reply
32 REPLIES 32

Global shipping rip off

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

You are preaching to the converted here on the boards.

The regular responders always advise looking for sellers who do not use the GSP but unfortunately it is becoming more popular with sellers.

You can't really blame them....the GSP protects them from poor feedback as ebay will remove any reference to slow or expensive shipping.

The system also gives the seller full tracking and insurance and they don't even have to process the paperwork for overseas postage.

Message 2 of 33
Latest reply

Global shipping rip off

oztralien , I hear you. It is a horrid set up and people in Australia who like to buy overseas things pay double and sometimes triple. USPS First Class International Airmail is what I ask for. Some sellers have been willing to change their auction settings. Some do not and some think they have to go with the flow. Very sad and it's running people out of pocket!

Global Shipping is the worst thing that has happened to ebay. I condemn it!

Message 3 of 33
Latest reply

Global shipping rip off

oztralien doesn't hear you. They last logged into the boards 6 months ago.

Message 4 of 33
Latest reply

Global shipping rip off

no one is forced to buy from sellers using global shipping, its voluntary.

yep, most of the time its very expensive.

have i used it? yes, not often but if i absolutly have to have an item and its only available from a seller using the GSP i have.

but most of the time i find the same item from a non GSP seller.

it comes down to doing research, not just seeing GSP and screaming ripoff! maybe the items not available from any other sellers 'today'

wait a week or two and search again.

millions of items get listed everyday.

Message 5 of 33
Latest reply

Global shipping rip off

@davewil1964 wrote:

oztralien doesn't hear you. They last logged into the boards 6 months ago.

Good tGood to see you've taken the time to see when oztralien last logged on. But that doesn't mean oztralien is not reading it. This member has just recently started doing transactions after a bit of time out by the look of it. Yes I took the time to look too. This person has started a discussion about "Global shipping rip off" and I am contributing to it.  Quite possibly oztralien will come back to check.
Thanks
Message 6 of 33
Latest reply

Global shipping rip off

Hello davidc4430,

You say ....... 

"no one is forced to buy from sellers using global shipping, its voluntary."

OK, no buyers are forced but some sellers feel intimidated into using it because they have problems getting out of it. They don't know how. Often I hear frustration voiced on this topiic.

You say ......

"yep, most of the time its very expensive."

Yes it is expensive! Double and sometimes triple of what it would cost in comparison to USPS First Class International. BTW: First Class International takes 2 weeks sometimes quicker (depending) to get t Australia from the States. A relaiable service!

You say ...  

"have i used it? yes, not often but if i absolutly have to have an item and its only available from a seller using the GSP i have.

but most of the time i find the same item from a non GSP seller." 

For collectors that is not an option. Take Northern Soul collectors. Often that article they are chasing may not come up again for years. Same for Hi-Fi collectors.

You say .....

"it comes down to doing research, not just seeing GSP and screaming ripoff! maybe the items not available from any other sellers 'today'

wait a week or two and search again."

While research can help in some instances, in many other (from a collectors perspective and needs) the  item may never be available again.

Hmmm you're using the term : "screaming ripoff! ".  From the way you're speaking, it would appear that you think it is unacceptable for people to voice their displeasure over something that is costing them a packet when it never used to. Don't we have that right?

You say ....

"millions of items get listed everyday'

Not the items I want. Many items I look for plus some of my collector friends in their quests are once offs. This is wht ebay has bidding so that sellers can make good money out of something they want to sell. If a seller picks up an item for 50 cents at a garage sale and turns it into $350 in an auction that attracts 20 bids, I am happy for that seller. 

Anyway, I'm getting a bit off track here. What I am trying to explain is that the bidding thing is self explanatory. Ebay is an online trading place that is patroned by collectors. The so called "millions of tems" may not have that special item the collector wants!

It's wrong, so very very wrong that people now have to pay unreal inflated amounts of money to buy that SPECIAlL ITEM. Many folks just can't afford that.  I hope you can appreciate what I say.

Message 7 of 33
Latest reply

Global shipping rip off

@lyndal1838 wrote:

You are preaching to the converted here on the boards.

The regular responders always advise looking for sellers who do not use the GSP but unfortunately it is becoming more popular with sellers.

You can't really blame them....the GSP protects them from poor feedback as ebay will remove any reference to slow or expensive shipping.

The system also gives the seller full tracking and insurance and they don't even have to process the paperwork for overseas postage.

And there are still sellers who don't realise they are signed up for it.  Just a couple of days ago I found a listing that said GSP but when I opened it up the seller had 'I ONLY SHIP IN UNITED STATES' in big letters.  Is he or she in for a surprise. Smiley Frustrated

Message 8 of 33
Latest reply

Global shipping rip off

Zanadoo, all GSP sellers  only ship domestically.

You buy, and they only ship it to Pitney Bowes.

Pitney Bowes ships it internationally.

Message 9 of 33
Latest reply

Global shipping rip off

4channel wrote:

"yep, most of the time its very expensive."

Yes it is expensive! Double and sometimes triple of what it would cost in comparison to USPS First Class International. BTW: First Class International takes 2 weeks sometimes quicker (depending) to get t Australia from the States. A relaiable service!

It is all very well to espouse the use of USPS First Class International but many sellers will simply refuse to use it as it is not trackable.  Even if sellers know about and use eDelcon it is often only trackable within the USA.   Once it leaves the USA the sellers lose all the protection provided by online tracking.   Even some of the USPS Premium services are not trackable to the standard required by paypal and ebay in the event of a dispute.
In addition, USPS First Class in only for low weight items....under 4lbs.
While First Class International is ideal for smaller and cheaper items, if a seller is shipping larger items the GSP is very cost effective and the seller gets full tracking and insurance to ebay/paypal standard in the event of a dispute.

Message 10 of 33
Latest reply