Hand sanitiser listing has been removed

I purchased hand sanitiser on eBay recently and it arrived safely. I have received notification that the listing has been removed and I wonder why this would happen? Could it possibly be because the seller has tampered with the ingredients to capitalise on coronavirus fears? Or could it simply be that the item has now run out - is there some way of checking with Ebay as to why the listing has been removed?

Message 1 of 14
Latest reply
13 REPLIES 13

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

If ebay removed the listing it would be because there was something wrong with it.....and ebay will never tell you what was wrong.

If it has been tampered with or is a fake you can open a dispute and get a refund.

Message 3 of 14
Latest reply

Was that from the seller in Hong Kong with the utterly appalling feedback?

Sorry, but there is no way I would risk buying anything from them, especially 'health' related

Message 4 of 14
Latest reply

No they had excellent feedback and have been a member of Ebay for many years

Message 5 of 14
Latest reply

Surely they would have to tell me if the product has been tampered with, imagine their liability if my family used the product and it was toxic and Ebay knew

Message 6 of 14
Latest reply

Would appreciate your guidance on how to open a dispute?

Message 7 of 14
Latest reply

go-tazz
Community Member

@henry-parkes wrote:

is there some way of checking with Ebay as to why the listing has been removed?

This gives you their direct links without having to go through their rigmarole:

https://www.ebay.com.au/help/home

Just keep in mind that the Call option is only available during business hours,

(from 8am to 8pm AET Monday to Friday, and 9am to 7pm AET Saturday and Sunday).

Have us call you seems to be the best option.

Just scroll to the bottom of that page.

If you use the chat option and none of their "options" suit then select which may be closest to why you

want to contact as their "selections" are limited.

Message 8 of 14
Latest reply

@henry-parkes wrote:

Surely they would have to tell me if the product has been tampered with, imagine their liability if my family used the product and it was toxic and Ebay knew

"Tampered with" does not necessarily have to be connected to the present virus threat....it is a catch all phrase used for many problems.

And no, ebay does not have to tell you why they have removed a listing.

I would suggest you use the ebay Money Back Guarantee for a refund.

Message 9 of 14
Latest reply

eBay would have absolutely no way of knowing if a product has been tampered with - that is not why they remove listings. 

They remove listings because the listing breaches site policies, and they are currently removing many listings of staple items people are hoarding and/or re-selling for profit due to covid-19 - toilet paper, hand sanitiser etc. People who buy TP and the listing gets removed are getting the same email; I'm very much hoping the TP hasn't been tampered with (though perhaps one could split 4-ply into 4 single-ply rolls). 

Don't these things usually have tamper-evident seals on them, anyway? What kind of tampering would / could someone do to a bottle of something designed to kill baceteria etc? Dilute it maybe? They'd need a whole bunch of empy bottles I guess. And it wouldn't dry so quick, unless they maybe used more alcohol to dilute it.

Message 10 of 14
Latest reply