Has anyone else had issues with selling warranty that cannot be used?

BEWARE of the eBay seller.

I purchased a new mobile with 12 months warranty from. After a couple of months it finally arrived. With only two weeks of use the phone began showing SIM card error messages. Connection to any network was no longer possible with a new replacement SIM & other proven working SIM cards. After weeks of correspondence they will not accept there is anything wrong with the phone, as they say they checked it before it was shipped and it worked for two weeks. advise I should take the phone to a local shop to "sort out". Quotes for repair are more than the cost of the phone because anywhere else will not do the work under warranty if they are not the seller. HTC helped with resets & several diagnostics over the phone, and advised the mobile must be sent to the seller for assessment & any repair under warranty. While I beleived the sale was made in good faith, will now not provide an address for the phone to be returned to for repair/replacement under the warranty they sold. 

The same hardware issue is well documented on line. It appears to be a common HTC production fault where the cradle doesn't keep the SIM firmly in contact with the device. will not accept this & maintain it's a SIM card fault - "after checking it" (from HK when the phone is in Aus). 

Unfortunately, I am not able to retrieve the feedback to amend the positive rating & comments I provided  when the mobile arrived.

I hope no one else is caught out with this unethical & unprofessional practice by .

Once you pay the money you will not have the warranty cover included in the purchase price.

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

Re: Has anyone else had issues with selling warranty that cannot be used?

orge069
Community Member

GOOD LUCK AND REMEMBER ONLY ADD FEEDBACK AFTER U RECEIVE ITEM, AND ELECTRONICS ALWAYS CHECK SELLER CUSTOMER STORY`S EASILY FOUND ONLINE.I RECENTLY HEAR OF SELLERS THAT GO UNDER,SELLING THEIR ACCOUNTS WITH HEAPS OF FEEDBACK,RELIST MOST OF EXPENSIVE ITEMS SELLER HAS SOLD BEFORE FOR A HUGE DISCOUNT,AND U GET SCAMMED,I KNOW ITS GETTING HARD BUT THE GOOD HONEST EBAYERS OUT WEIGH THE BAD, GOOD LUCK, WHY DONT U TRY A PAYPAL CLAIM,THAT MAY WAKE THEM UP ABIT??GOOD LUCK

Message 2 of 17
Latest reply

1st off, you cannot name & shame on here. The Mods will remove the Sellers name shortly. You read about this sort of thing dozens of times a week. 😞 Basically, you are now stuck with a phone that is useless and there is no come back from you. Next time, go to a Real B & M store and buy one. That way, if you have any problem you can take it back. 

Message 3 of 17
Latest reply

No because I know very well that any warranty on an ebay purchased item is unlikely to be valid so would not even try to claim on one. I pay for anything that may need a warranty type claim with a credit card from a bank that allows chargebacks up to 12 months so only rely on that after the 45 day Paypal limit.

See what a trendsetter I am?
Message 4 of 17
Latest reply

I know very well that any warranty on an ebay purchased item is unlikely to be valid .....

It's interesting that it's so common, and yet the seller has a 98.9% positive eBay rating from a feedback score of 17,182 spanning 5 years.  Doesn't seem to account for much when they can sell something that you can't get after paying for it. It's not so much the issue of my son being scammed & loosing his money, but more about the inability to warn others about the unethical selling practices of an established eBay outlet.

Have another gin, phorum_junkie*

Message 5 of 17
Latest reply

Yep, caught out with the Aus model sales pitch.
Message 6 of 17
Latest reply

@phorum_junkie* wrote:

No because I know very well that any warranty on an ebay purchased item is unlikely to be valid so would not even try to claim on one. I pay for anything that may need a warranty type claim with a credit card from a bank that allows chargebacks up to 12 months so only rely on that after the 45 day Paypal limit.

I understand where you are coming from pj, but some sellers (myself included when I was selling) did offer a warranty - I was a registered importer and my warranty offered was valid, 12-24 months depending on the manufacturers guarantee, and I honoured this on more than one occasion. So it always urked me when people came here a said No warranty on eBay was valid.

For buyers who purchase (advertised warranty) item - here is my advice:

1. Research the seller, see if they are indeed a registered distributer of the branded product - and ask for ABN etc if this is the case.

2. Check with manufacturer before purchase to find out the guidelines of the said warranty.

3. Private Seller - request original sales/warranty paperwork to be sent with goods, or emailed previously to purchase.

Many manufacturers will honour warranty's for the full term, no matter the resale circumstances, but the original sales docket must be presented, just the same as a BM store needs a receipt.

I agree that many will not honour the warrantly as they can not be sure of the condition of the item that has been resold, however, warranty laws and guidelines protect the manufacturer in Australia, and usually only relate to manufactuering faults, most warranty's should be valid so long as they have the accompanying paperwork.

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 7 of 17
Latest reply

Appreciate the advice, 2106greencat. Hope others take note too. It's a shame that sellers offering new items with a bogus warranty can't be flagged here to warn others. 

Message 8 of 17
Latest reply

If an australian business offers a warranty they are bound by law to honour it. Contact your states office of fair trading or consumer affairs who can assist you in the process for getting a repair, replacement or refund.
Message 9 of 17
Latest reply

Well, having sent the mobile to the authorised HTC centre for repair under warranty it seems the seller is quite dodgy. The HTS records show the phone had been set up under authority by to comply & work in Aus pre sale. The work that was really done on the phone by the seller was an illegal software change to open it up & void the warranty (warranty that they sold with the mobile). The end result - a new mobile sold with software that fries the main board & costs more tp repair than the item price. I beleive that while I cannot name & shame to help others, I can list the item number - item: 121310025710.

Message 10 of 17
Latest reply