Hi ....I ordered and paid via PayPal for a brand new iPhone 11 promax and instead I received an expr

Hi everyone,   I ordered an iPhone 11 Pro Max and received an express post box with a handwritten note stating that they had sold out of iPhones and I could wait till next shipment to receive one or request a refund.......pro is I don't have anything to send back but an empty box......anyway who would send an empty box to a customer in the first place  lol .....I've been trying to a return on the site but nothing ends up in my returns section ......any advice would be great ...

Message 1 of 16
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Hi ....I ordered and paid via PayPal for a brand new iPhone 11 promax and instead I received an expr

@sarahjanebez2 wrote:

Oh gosh .....I opened it through PayPal as that is what the eBay chat person said I should try first .....PayPal have given the seller until the 9th of November to reply and decision will be made 5 days later ......now I'm really concerned that I won't be able to get my money back......mind you the eBay chat person said I would then be able to go through eBay money back guarantee........fingers crossed things go my way ......

Very very bad advice from the eBay chat person. That is completely untrue. Once you open a PayPal dispute, there is no longer the option to open an eBay dispute. Plus, if PayPal now tells you to return the "item", you will have to pay the postage for the return, which must be tracked. 

The best process is to go via eBay first. You have that option until 30 days after the last ETA of delivery. In the event that fails, you then have the option of PayPal to fall back on. Did you open a not as described dispute, or item not received? If you opened a not received you will lose the dispute as the seller can show tracking.

The only other option left to you, is that if you paid using a credit/debit card, you can do a charge back through your bank.

When you go to leave feedback, do not mention you had to open a dispute, or anything mentioning a refund, because the seller can get it removed. I'd leave something factual, like "seller sent an empty box with a note in it", or something to that effect.

View solution in original post

Message 14 of 16
Latest reply
15 REPLIES 15

I'm worried for you as the normal way to send a message like that would be via... messages.

It sounds as if the seller is trying to cover himself with tracking so he can 'prove' you received the item.

I think I'd be messaging the seller to ask for a refund but if it wasn't forthcoming in 24 hours or so, I'd be opening an item not as described claim.

Ps I hope it goes without saying, keep the box and letter & take a photo of them.

Message 2 of 16
Latest reply

Definitely open an item not as described case. DO NOT open an item not received because the seller has uploaded the tracking number and will win the dispute. If eBay instructs you to send the item back, send the empty box back with a note of your choice. Or some junk mail. Once the tracking shows delivered, if the seller doesn't issue a refund, ask eBay to step in and help. They should refund you then, and the seller will get a defect on his account.

Where was the item supposed to be coming from? Can you give us the item number?

Message 3 of 16
Latest reply

This is not uncommon.  You've been SCAMMED !

Message 4 of 16
Latest reply

@south.coffee wrote:

I agree it sounds like a scam but I wouldn't say it is all that common, thank goodness. I've been buying on ebay for 20 years and have never had it happen (touch wood). I've read of it happening to others though.

I don't know what it is with phones and electronic stuff but scams seem to happen more with them, or that's how it seems.

Message 5 of 16
Latest reply

@springyzone wrote:

@south.coffee wrote:

I agree it sounds like a scam but I wouldn't say it is all that common, thank goodness. I've been buying on ebay for 20 years and have never had it happen (touch wood). I've read of it happening to others though.

I don't know what it is with phones and electronic stuff but scams seem to happen more with them, or that's how it seems.

People get scammed with phones, because the latest ones are frightfully expensive. They see a cheap latest model and jump on it. Then they wonder why it doesn't arrive. 

As much as I feel for the OP, which I do, if one of these phones costs well in excess of $1,000 to buy new, how can they think they are going to get something for a fraction of the price? Why does it not ring alarm bells? 

I hope the OP comes back and reads the advice given, so they can hopefully get their money back. They also should know that one should NEVER buy phones from eBay, especially when they are a fraction of the price of a new one at retail.

Message 6 of 16
Latest reply

Especially an iPhone, as Apple (effectively) doesn't discount.

JB sometimes offer 10% off, and other retailers might do so too, but it isn't the norm.

Message 7 of 16
Latest reply

Once you have received your money back from the dispute, I would then report the seller to eBay.  Also leave them a big red fat dot stating they send empty boxes!

seriously, sending an empty box with a note saying out of stock, when all they had to really do was email the buyer, rings alarm bells!

Message 8 of 16
Latest reply

Hi I'm so sorry that I haven't replied as I couldn't find how to get back to this area ....lol.... I'm not good at technology......thank you for your reply , I chatted with eBay chat and I've gone through PayPal ....than when hopefully they reimburse me I'll pop a negative on their feedback in which I've never done before and it makes me feel a bit bad .....here's what I was sent 

Message 9 of 16
Latest reply

Hi sorry everyone for slow reply and appreciate your responses , I'm terrible at finding my way around technology lol .....I've taken on board all info and yes I've been scammed , eBay chat guided me along too so hopefully I'll get my  money back ....he was still selling on eBay after he had supposedly sent my phone ......I feel bad because. He's got a few of us with his scam .... mean person ....

Message 10 of 16
Latest reply