High postage costs from America?

Can anybody tell me why postage is double what its used to be to purchase its from America???

Message 1 of 43
Latest reply
42 REPLIES 42

neetzy78
Community Member

I understand that postal services will keep upping their costs which sellers need to keep up with but hundreds of dollars for postage?  I just went to buy an item that was under $100AU, and only 66.lb and 14.2 in H x 3.9 in L x 16.5 in W by their description yet the postage was $290 AU (from USA to Australia).   Is that even possible?!

Message 11 of 43
Latest reply

. . . . and only 66.lb

30kg . . . . how was it to be sent?  Priority, air, ship, express?  30kg is the same as a small child.  Imagine the airfare for a small child?  LOL

before my button pushing stalker hits the 'report' button for my last post . . . . I AM NOT advocating that anyone buy a small child from the USA . . . . or any other country!

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

I understand that postal services will keep upping their costs which sellers need to keep up with but hundreds of dollars for postage?  I just went to buy an item that was under $100AU, and only 66.lb and 14.2 in H x 3.9 in L x 16.5 in W by their description yet the postage was $290 AU (from USA to Australia).   Is that even possible?!

Do you underststand the measurements and weight you have given.  Australia Post would not even carry that parcel, so why are you surprised that it will cost a lot to send it through the USPS?  A parcel weighing nearly 30kg is seriously heavy.

If you check on the USPS website you will see that it has to come with one of the priority services...they have a weight limit of 70lbs

Priority Mail International will charge US$327.00 if it is lodged at the PO ...a bit less if the seller uses on line posting.

To send a parcel of only 20kg FROM Australia would cost $417.55 by Express Courier and $350 by Express post.

Message 14 of 43
Latest reply

Do you underststand the measurements and weight you have given.  Australia Post would not even carry that parcel, so why are you surprised that it will cost a lot to send it through the USPS?  A parcel weighing nearly 30kg is seriously heavy.

Somehow, I do not think this poster meant 66lb; maybe 6.6 or 0.66?  There would not be many items 66lb to fit in that size box 🙂

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: “Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocities” .
Message 15 of 43
Latest reply

neetzy78
Community Member

Really doesn't get my point across if I put the decimal point in the wrong place ?:|

I meant 6.6lb

Message 16 of 43
Latest reply

This is really a case of be careful for what you ask for because you may get it and not want it.

The difference between selling on the US and AU sites is, to protect yourself against items not received claims in the US a seller has to prove receipt, whereas here in Australia, all the seller has to prove is they sent it to the city or suburb in which the buyer resides.

The point, you can, as they did in the US create the situation where the goods are at the seller’s risk until such time as they are received, but if you do, you have no cause for complaint if seller’s protect themselves by insisting that delivery is vide a secure service which provided for proof of delivery, a service which is going to cost a lot more, an additional cost which the seller is going to passed on to the customer, because noting is free. Or, in the alternative you can take advantage of the lower cost associated with non receipted delivery, and where the seller is protected just as long as they can prove they sent it.

But what you can’t do is have the best bits of both.  That is you can’t on the one hand expect for it to sent by the cheapest means, and then, when goes wrong, expect the seller to take responsibility for the adverse consequences of the decision you made.

Message 17 of 43
Latest reply

Really doesn't get my point across if I put the decimal point in the wrong place ?:|

I meant 6.6lb

ahhhh . . . . now it makes sense.  Readers can now ignore my post #11.

And in reply to your post #10 . . . . . the seller must be quoting the postal option that gives him/her the maximum seller protection if they are saying it will cost $290 to post that item to here i.e. express, with signature, delivery confirmation card returned to them.

etower999
Community Member

Ha, you think the U.S has high postage...I'm looking at a helmet video camera for starting bid of $49....but the big kicker is the postage is $50 and it an Aussie seller..

Message 19 of 43
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Ha, you think the U.S has high postage...I'm looking at a helmet video camera for starting bid of $49....but the big kicker is the postage is $50 and it an Aussie seller..

Item cost and postage cost are not related in any way.  Postage is based on the size and weight of the item, not the price of the item.  In theory you could win something at 99cents and it would cost in excess of $6.00 to post it.

Message 20 of 43
Latest reply