High postage costs from America?

Can anybody tell me why postage is double what its used to be to purchase its from America???

Message 1 of 43
Latest reply
42 REPLIES 42

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Somehow, I do not think this poster meant 66lb; maybe 6.6 or 0.66?  There would not be many items 66lb to fit in that size box 🙂

Yes, I thought that too nova, which is why I asked it the poster understood inches and pounds.

I have often seen younger Aussies who have no idea of inches and feet, ounces and pounds as Australia went decimal before they were born.

Message 21 of 43
Latest reply

I believe than many US sellers profiteer with postage. It probably is high but some are way over the top as already stated.

I sometimes buy from Amazon & in January bought a digital wall clock. The package was around 25cm x 20cm x 5cm & the weight about 800g.Postage was $8AU hence my theory.

Some sellers think buyers simply bod on price ignoring postage & many way well do.  

Message 22 of 43
Latest reply

Typo alert!!! bod = buy. Sorry.

Message 23 of 43
Latest reply

Check out US postage. At $8 I warrant you were subsidised, or Amazon have cut a deal due to their volumes.

Message 24 of 43
Latest reply

bearus7
Community Member

I used to buy vintage camera gear from the US. These days the same item purchased from the UK, Germany and Russia will cost around AU$20 postage, whereas the US seller wants AU$50-$60.

Lost me... 

Message 25 of 43
Latest reply

USPs has some weird obligation to pay upfront pensions etc for 70 yrs - I don't really understand it,but it seems that they don't just function as a normal business ,having to make a profit by taking in more money than their costs,but they have this massive (government applied) cost of 70 yrs upfront of pensions.Still I can't help but thinking that a doubling in overseas rates when domestic rates have not risen anywhere near this(between 3% and 9% depending on which type of shipping is used) represents nothing more than price-gouging.With the US dollar low,many of us are buying from US sites and USPS as well as the other carriers have clearly noticed this and decided to cash in.I wonder if we all boycotted US sites whether the drop in business might make them see the error of their ways.One thing we should consider is using a US mailing service whereby the goods are sent to an american address and then sent on to us here in Australia at a much cheaper rate.As long as we continue to pay these outrageous shipping rates,USPS and the other carriers will continue to rip us off just as australian business have ripped us off for years for local purchases.Personally,I don't even buy anything from the states if the rate is too high.Today I noticed on my watch list a jacket with a shipping rate of $69 where the jacket itself was $70.Needless to say,I just deleted it from my watch list.

Message 26 of 43
Latest reply

Same with me. US postage for a little bottle of essential oil $24!
Message 27 of 43
Latest reply

alriha
Community Member

That's why I buy less and less from The US and more from the UK and Germany. You mostly get much cheaper shipping costs from Europe. It takes a bit longer the standard economy shipping but last time I paid like 8 dollars shipping for a pair of Puma pants from Germany. And you should always ask the European sellers to deduct the VAT (European GST). Not all of them will do it, but they should, as they don't have to pay VAT to their government if they sell something overseas.

Message 28 of 43
Latest reply

In my experience I have found postage from UK much more than from USA (when converted for comparison into AUD)....and I don't purchase from europe/Germany etc because the postage is EXORBITANT!!

Message 29 of 43
Latest reply

.....just did a check and could not help but notice that 'community member' alriha is based on ebay.com (USA based ebay site....not on ebay.com.au, not in Australia....) could only be an ebat moderator!?

Message 30 of 43
Latest reply