How are they permitted to continue trading through Ebay?

ra078
Community Member

Seller lied in their desciption of the condition of a TV I purchased from them. It was advertised as 'new and never used' but it was very well used and damaged. They use delaying tactics when challenged to put people off. Look at their low satisfaction rating and their high number of sales. That means they have a lot of unhappy customers. How are they permitted to deal through Ebay?

Message 1 of 5
Latest reply
4 REPLIES 4

Re: How are they permitted to continue trading through Ebay?

firstly you can't name and shame sellers on here.

Secondly I can't see anywhere that the seller has used the words "new and never used", (i may need glasses though)

This is how I saw it listed

manufacturer refurbished

An item that has been professionally restored to working order by manufacturer or manufacturer-approved seller or retailer.
This means the product has been inspected, cleaned, and repaired to meet manufacturer specifications and is in excellent condition.
This item may or may not be in the original packaging. See the seller’s listing for full details.
See all condition definitions

Note: This item is a factory second item. There may be a light scratch on the body or the box damaged. This items has been fully tested by qualified technicians which backed by 1 year warranty.

Yes it still should be working and you are entitled for it to work or get your money back, butit wasn't listed as new.

Message 2 of 5
Latest reply

colkym
Community Member

One has to ask what you have done to attempt resolution of this??  Have you contacted the seller?  What did they say?  Did you use paypal to pay for it?

Funny how some people in this day and age of litigation, are game enough to post bagging someone, but the neg you left threatening legal action could very easily be removed by ebay if the seller chooses to apply for it- you are not allowed to mention disputes in your comments.  The neg you left could have been better- instead of wasting your limited characters with name calling, perhaps you should have used them to tell a story if what happened.  If you really ARE taking legal action, I am sure your solicitor would ot be happy with you posting things about the seller being crooks on a public website.

I am sorry you have lost so much money- personally thats on my list of things I would never buy online, and certainly not with a  seller who has the amount of negs, neuts and withdrawn feedback that that one has.  If it was funded by your credit card, perhaps you could call your bank regarding a charge back?   A call to fair trading may also do some good.  Not meaning to be rude, but investigating what you can do to help yourself is far more productive than complaining or slandering people on a public website will ever achieve.

Message 3 of 5
Latest reply

@ra078 wrote:

Seller lied in their desciption of the condition of a TV I purchased from them. It was advertised as 'new and never used' but it was very well used and damaged. They use delaying tactics when challenged to put people off. Look at their low satisfaction rating and their high number of sales. That means they have a lot of unhappy customers. How are they permitted to deal through Ebay?

I'm kind of confused as to why you entered into the transaction when you were aware of their customer satisfaction rating. Was it such a good deal that you were prepared to risk it, even though you were aware of this and are now just cross because you did become one of the statistics? What made you believe that you would get a different outcome to others?

I just don't understand it. eBay have provided an avenue for customers to report their experiences via feedback and they leave it there (in most cases) for future customers to see and evaluate in order for them to make an informed decision, yet customers continue to make purchases and are then surprised when they get burned.

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 4 of 5
Latest reply

Ok, now that's out of the way, if you provide some details as advised above, some of us may be able to help you.

We understand that you are upset and disappointed, and I do sympathize as well, but right now, that is not going to help us to help you to find a solution.

1) Did you pay by PayPal or another safe payment method?

2) On what date did you pay?

3) What actions have you taken so far to seek resolution?

4) A factory second or manufacturer refurbished item can be new and never used. Just because it is new does not exclude it from being damaged in storage, transportation, production or anywhere else along the supply chain. "New and Never used" does not mean bright and shiny.

5) In my experience, before you contemplate or threaten legal action, it is best to know all of the facts so that you don't waste your opportunity of expressing your experience in a factual manner in order to seek restitution or you end up just looking a bit silly and out of pocket..

Some people can go their whole lives and never really live for a single minute.
Message 5 of 5
Latest reply