How could anyone sell at this price, Is it on the Nose?

I'm almsot guaranteeing this is a scam, but I can't figure out the angle, it has to have one, but I can't figure it out.  It appears to be a hijacked account being used.  The seller says he's in the US and the ID is in the UK, selling on an Aussie Ebay ????

Please check it out and tell me what you think, please don't just say it's a scam, we know that, but how is he scamming when it's done via Paypal.  What has the sller figured out that nobody else has. There have been almosy 100 sold so where's the rub?

GoPro HERO4 Silver Edition + 2 Extra Battery +Head Strap + 64GB All In 1 Top Kit

Message 1 of 17
Latest reply
16 REPLIES 16

A hijacked PayPal account as well?  I assume by the time the items are reported as not having arrived, the seller has withdrawn the money into an account, taken taken the cash, and isn't affected by any action PayPal takes later.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 2 of 17
Latest reply

So Paypal has to refund all that money out of it's own coffers.  What if the auction (sale) is reported, can they freeze the whole thing.  I'm not sure how often they pay out, is it as requested or do they hold onto the money for a day or so? I have no idea, I'm afraid my brain doesn't work like a scammer's does.  I do think you're right though, but if that's the case why isn't it being done a lot more?

Message 3 of 17
Latest reply

go-tazz
Community Member

As stated a hijacked account,(it's been dormant for over a year so an easy target).

They'll ask the buyer to put money into a bank account or similar or they've also hijacked the account owners PP

account).

The funds in a PP account would be held for 21 days so they'll probably supply a false shipping label.

In these instances the product reviews is something that will now assist the scammer as the gullible buyers

may think that the reviews are only for the item that the scammer is selling and not others.

Message 4 of 17
Latest reply

I've written to the official owner of the ID just to see what reaction I get, but no reply as yet. I'm afraid I don't understand anything about shipping labels, they couldn't have been around the last time I sold anything, (years ago) I'm just amazed at the audacity of anyone willing to try this scam. The outcome for the perpetrator, if he's caught, must be a deterrent. You're scenario is OK if someone's willing to take a chance on the sale not being uncovered before he gets his money, that's why I asked what would happen if it's reported right now? Can't they simply close the whole thing down and return the money.?

One thing's for sure, I'd make a lousy scammer, thankfully, and I hate anyone willing to rip off innocent people.

Message 5 of 17
Latest reply

Item has been removed.

image host
Message 6 of 17
Latest reply

heard from Paypal, it's definitely a hijacked account and they've frozen everything related to it and refunds are payable.  So

that made his day a bad one

Message 7 of 17
Latest reply

They confirmed it was hijacked??? That surprises me if so - normally they can't/won't comment on this sort of this, citing privacy laws.

NEVERMIND ON TROUBLES!!! LET'S DO HOBBY!!!
Message 8 of 17
Latest reply

Yes they most definitely did here's a portion of their message.

You were recently involved in a transaction for the following item:  
223012703131 - GoPro HERO4 Silver Edition + 2 Extra Battery +Head Strap + 64GB All In 1 Top Kit

We’re writing to let you know that an unauthorized third party may have accessed the seller’s account to list this item. The item has been removed from the site, and the transaction was cancelled. We ask that you take the following precautions:

If you already paid for the item:
- Please immediately contact the payment service used to request a refund.

We all know they change things now and then.  This could be because of the recent laws being changed regarding privacy. ???

Message 9 of 17
Latest reply

Isn't it a nice feeling to know another one's bitten the dust. I hope they find him and give him an all espenses paid holiday courtesy of HM the Queen. 🙂

Message 10 of 17
Latest reply