How many times should an item be relisted.....?

Just curious about other peoples opinion.

I have watched something get relisted over and over again for the last 18 months for the same price.

This item wil never ever sell at the price they want for it.....it even got to the point where I emailed them to give them the low down on what items sell for in that category, with comparison items.

Got a very pleasant email back saying thank you - but there is the item again for the same price, and that price means serious listing fees.

I really feel for this seller - they are wasting money yet they are still on the ebay merry go round....should there be a limit?

Raq

Message 1 of 82
Latest reply
81 REPLIES 81

Depending on the item, listing fee's won't be breaking the bank, in fact they are most likely free if it is not a regular seller who has a PS / TRS or store.

You can't please all the people all the time, so now I just please myself

Message 2 of 82
Latest reply

Hino man is still at it YEARS later although I think he finally parted with the original hino.Then he wouldn't part with his bobcat & I forget what came next although the perfume was a worry :^O:^O:^O

Message 3 of 82
Latest reply

Raq,

Yes I agree there should be a limit to the amount of times a seller can relist an item. ONCE and once only. You would think they'd get the hint that they might be just asking to much for their item if it doesn't sell the first time. Ebay should also drop the free listings. Make every seller pay to list for each item. Then watch the amount of vastly overpriced items that gets listed on here, drop away, to a point where you can actually buy a bargain and not pay top dollar on ebay. Some sellers seem to think that buyers will pay through the nose for their items but such is not the case anymore. Buyers are well aware of an items worth, which in many instances, does not align to what the seller thinks its worth.

Message 4 of 82
Latest reply

this item is $12500 - and it will not sell!

Message 5 of 82
Latest reply

Raq,

Yes I agree there should be a limit to the amount of times a seller can relist an item. ONCE and once only. You would think they'd get the hint that they might be just asking to much for their item if it doesn't sell the first time. Ebay should also drop the free listings. Make every seller pay to list for each item. Then watch the amount of vastly overpriced items that gets listed on here, drop away, to a point where you can actually buy a bargain and not pay top dollar on ebay. Some sellers seem to think that buyers will pay through the nose for their items but such is not the case anymore. Buyers are well aware of an items worth, which in many instances, does not align to what the seller thinks its worth.

In which case it won't sell, so there's no need to restrict the number of times an item is listed.

If I've got you right, you're suggesting that increasing the cost of selling will result in lower prices. ?:|

Besides I doubt too many sellers are interested in providing bargains, especially with the cost of operating here these days, and listing fees for all listings would exacerbate that. Unless you're suggesting sellers operate at a loss, which is not a good medium- or long-term business model.

Raq - the seller could have an algorithm that determines the selling price. I've seen a $50 magazine in six figures, BIN. When I pointed out to the seller that this was a little high, they replied that their algorithm set the price at the third highest. Presumably the other 2 saw the error of their ways...

Message 6 of 82
Latest reply

I find that items quite often sell the second time around, it all depends who is looking at the time, sometimes items that don't even get a watcher the first time around will take off if listed a year later.

Message 7 of 82
Latest reply

yarmak
Community Member

I have items that have sold 3 years later....

Dave

Message 8 of 82
Latest reply

Most recently I just lost $60-70 on a sale because I was too late to shill bid the price so I could relist it later.

Presume you meant put in a snipe for the item,not shill bid.Shill bidding means the seller is using another account to artificially inflate the item price which is totally against ebay policy.

Snipe bidding-whether personally or using a free internet sniping service-means bidding in the last few seconds of an auction.

Message 9 of 82
Latest reply

Most recently I just lost $60-70 on a sale because I was too late to shill bid the price so I could relist it later.

Presume you meant put in a snipe for the item,not shill bid.Shill bidding means the seller is using another account to artificially inflate the item price which is totally against ebay policy.

Oh, no!!!  he definitely meant he was going to bid on his own item !!!!!   ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

Voltaire: โ€œThose Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities, Can Make You Commit Atrocitiesโ€ .
Message 10 of 82
Latest reply