How sellers may deal with orders when an item not in stock

Recently I had occasion to order something from a well-known supermarket selling on eBay. I ordered with one item in mind; that Lighthouse plain low protein pastry flour.

I had intended to bulk up the order with a few other items, to justify the delivery charge. However, to my alarm, by the time I'd added one other item to my cart, there was only one left of the flour. No time to shilly-shally! I placed the order with just two items, one of which was only there as a preliminary bulk-it-up item.

The evening before the delivery was due (early morning), I received an email advising me that one of my ordered items was out of stock and had to be cancelled. The "remaining items" would be delivered.

What foul twist of baking fate was this? And did the supermarket think I wanted a packet of ice cream (hastily added with no particular desire - and readily available from any of the 4 local C- er... supermarkets in question that are within 10 minutes of here? With a delivery charge of $10? I immediately replied to the message, explaining that I was in close proximity of quite a lot of their stores (and hence wouldn't have ordered anything with that delivery charge except for my excitement at seeing the Lighthouse pastry flour), had placed the order with the overwhelming purpose of getting hold of that particular flour (for which I'd been searching for the last 6 weeks at least), and would never have ordered the remaining item on its own - that it was there solely as the intended first in a bulk-it-up lot.

I asked them to cancel the entire (ha) order if they could do so, thanking them for letting me know about the out-of-stock item, and vowing my blood-drenched determination to hunt down the elusive Lighthouse pastry flour.

Within a couple of minutes I had been refunded for everything except the cost of the ice cream, which was duly delivered by a very bemused lady courier in the pre-breakfast hours of the morning. The supermarket replied to explain that they'd refunded the delivery charge and hoped that the ice cream was enjoyed. (It was. How guilty one feels having ice cream before the oat clusters even peek out of the pantry.)

I thought that the problem was well handled. Waiving the delivery charge was clearly a gesture of good will, and while I was disappointed re the flour, I thought, "Ah well - one day it will be in stock again." The experience left me pleased with the outcome given the circumstances.

It's a good example of how a seller can ensure that the buyer is not devastated by an out-of-stock experience.

... And... today, while hurrying in to one of my local C-- supermarkets, to grab some Jalna yoghurt and fresh broccoli (only $2.99/kg), my angelic patience was rewarded.

There was ONE carton of the flour sitting on the shelf. Mine! Mine! I grabbed it.

Message 1 of 10
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

But but but, was the ice cream  red  and shiny ?????

Spoiler
............and dare I say it, did the delivery lady have red hair to match the red delivery truck and the red ice cream ....?????

"Start me up I'll never stop......"

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply
9 REPLIES 9

But but but, was the ice cream  red  and shiny ?????

Spoiler
............and dare I say it, did the delivery lady have red hair to match the red delivery truck and the red ice cream ....?????

Message 2 of 10
Latest reply

I am shamed to say that the ice cream was not red.

It was green. Mint green.

The delivery lady was a whimsical blonde lady. I think she may have worn a pair of red overalls, though!

I have got my eye on a red sausage stuffing machine. That is red and shiny.

Message 3 of 10
Latest reply

Now if you were talking about a nice red Aston Martin, I'd help you drive it (as a chauffeur but not in a red dress).

Spoiler
                                 2019-aston-martin-dbs-superleggera-26.jpg

Message 4 of 10
Latest reply

Exquisite.

Message 5 of 10
Latest reply

@countessalmirena wrote:

Exquisite.

Ah countess, one day maybe I'll get one - it would need 1st div lotto though..........

It would have to match the one I've already got ................hahahaha.

Spoiler
                                    20200322_094147.jpg
Spoiler
.............maybe even in red............

Message 6 of 10
Latest reply

I have this issue regularly and what they need is an option to tick that says cancel order if it can't be 100% complete.

The item I was buying was disc brakes for my car and due to the cost it gave a further discount on other items so purchased a $10 item but no extra freight charge. When the disc brakes where removed from the order, freight was then added as it was below free delivery terms.They cancelled the whole order but now I shop elswhere with a business that offers store pickup to avoid these issues which is regular with large companies that don't stock everything they sell.

Message 7 of 10
Latest reply

@countessalmirena wrote:

What foul twist of baking fate was this? And did the supermarket think I wanted a packet of ice cream (hastily added with no particular desire - and readily available from any of the 4 local C- er... supermarkets in question that are within 10 minutes of here? With a delivery charge of $10?

I doubt it was the strangest home delivery order they've ever received (lots of I need X by X and won't get a chance to grab it kinds of situations, or other ice-cream related emergencies Smiley LOL )

Out of stock situations are generally pretty rare due to my current listing methods, but if they occur my protocol is modeled after a seller I've bought from regularly, which is to provide the buyer with the choice of 3 options:

Cancel the item / order and receive a refund

Have it sent when back in stock (assuming that will be within a reasonable timeframe)

Select a different item up to 20% more in value (eg if the item was $10, they can select any substitute valued up to $12, if the item was pretty low value, I usually do 25% - most choose this option). 

Message 8 of 10
Latest reply

Glad of the good outcome. The supermarket would have been well aware that flour (and toilet paper and some types of pasta) were the most sought after items on anyone's list.

I found a large bag of lighthouse baker's flour in a C-er, supermarket a few weeks back. Happy days.

I got a red coffee maker for mother's day (off my husband). We already have a coffee maker but I duly admired it. Guess who is the big coffee drinker in this house, though? Smiley Very Happy

Message 9 of 10
Latest reply

Well, if I were visiting you, the answer would be me. 

As it is, I have little doubt that he who bestowed the gift (AKA your husband) is the prime coffee drinker.

Message 10 of 10
Latest reply