How to prove when buyer claims I sent wrong item?

I sold an expensive leather planner and buying claimed that I sent them a notebook instead! I can I prove this? I have asked for more photos and questions about conditions but they won’t say anything just kept telling to refund. The buyer has zero feedback.

Also do I have to provide international return postage? Thank you.

Message 1 of 48
Latest reply
47 REPLIES 47

imastawka
Honored Contributor

Looks like they're after a freebie if they won't send photos of what they claimed they received.

If they haven't opened a case for item not as described, then do nothing.

Message 2 of 48
Latest reply

They have opened a case and asking me to send them international return postage.

Message 3 of 48
Latest reply

If the buyer HAS opened a SNAD case, you must act within 3 business days within the dispute, or it will be found against you automatically.

It’s reasonable to ask for one photo within the dispute. You must decide also if it’s worth promising / organising return tracked overseas postage or if it would be more economical to give full refund without need to return. If you think you’ll get back what you believe you sent, do some calculations and cogitations.

Message 4 of 48
Latest reply

I won’t get back what I have sent, they sent a photo of a notebook next to my parcel. I asked for more photos and condition if package was broken or damaged, they just said I sent wrong item intentionally and requested immediate refund.

I was hoping somehow I could prove I did send correct item 😭 

Message 5 of 48
Latest reply

The question is - even if they provide photos, how can they prove it is what they received? They could take a photo of a notebook they have, or buy a cheap one. If they claim they received something else, and you are sure you didn't make a mistake, they are after a freebie.

You can't prove what you sent and the buyer can't prove what he received, but apparently most of the time eBay sides with buyers.

Message 6 of 48
Latest reply

This is so sad to hear and sadly it makes me want to stop selling 😭

Message 7 of 48
Latest reply

It's true that eBay will *almost* always side with the buyer

Whatever the outcome of this is, put this little person on your blocked bidders list so they can't pull the same thing on you again

And then keep an eye out in case they try opening another account to get around that block (which is against eBay policy, but I doubt this individual would care)

Message 8 of 48
Latest reply

Sellers sometimes have a chance if the buyer says they received something completely different (different weight etc.) because postal carriers normally have weight and dimensions in their system, but the buyer mentioned something similar, so it will be more difficult.

You should certainly block this buyer, as already suggested.

Message 9 of 48
Latest reply

The joys of international selling.......it comes with added risks.

You can not prove what the buyer received, as such ebay will side with the buyer.

Yes, you are responsible for return post, and you know what you will get back.

I know it hurts, but if you don't settle the case in the 3 day time frame, you will also incur a dispute resolution fee,  $22 , and also incur a seller metric defect.  Normally a defect would not be of much concern, but as you are a low volume seller, it could mean additional ebay fees for future sales.

Everyone gets ripped off sometime, the trick now is to recover your losses by additional ebay sales.

Message 10 of 48
Latest reply