Import charges

hi I am from Australia and was looking to buy something thing from the USA. the item im looking at costs just a lil over 1000 AUD. ive read that import charges are between 0-10% usually 5% for items over 1000, but on the page of the thing i want to buy, the import charges says "$271.61 (amount confirmed at checkout) ". is this a correct estimation of export charges i will have to pay?

if anyone has any experience with this please let me know.

Message 1 of 34
Latest reply
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Import charges

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

@bythesandsoftime-2 wrote:

hi I am from Australia and was looking to buy something thing from the USA. the item im looking at costs just a lil over 1000 AUD. ive read that import charges are between 0-10% usually 5% for items over 1000, but on the page of the thing i want to buy, the import charges says "$271.61 (amount confirmed at checkout) ". is this a correct estimation of export charges i will have to pay?

I am not sure where you have read that you pay between 0-10% on imports over $1000....that is completely wrong.

Once the item price is over $1000 you pay import fees, taxes and GST on the item amount plus the postage.   In my experience that usually works out at between 20% and 40%, depending on the rate applicable to the particular item.  Most of my items have worked out at about 30-35%

The amount you have been quoted by the GSP sounds correct taking into account the high postage.

When you pay through the GSP you pay the import charges to Pitney Bowes and they in turn pay the charges to Australian Customs.....you will not pay anything more when the item arrives here.

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 34
Latest reply
33 REPLIES 33

Import charges

i think there would be 2 different charges

1. the delivery cost from the USA to australia

2. the import duty (tax) you need to pay when it gets here to the tax dept.

i rekon you only have the delivery charge so far, import duty would be calculated at this end when the nice fellows from the govt look at it.

Message 2 of 34
Latest reply

Import charges

That sounds like the GSP.

If it is GSP, the price will include all delivery charges including postage, customs and the paperwork necessary to get it through Customs.

Message 3 of 34
Latest reply

Import charges

" Shipping:

$85.96 International Priority Shipping to Australia  via the Global Shipping Program 

Item location:
Paducah, Kentucky, United States

Ships to:
United States and many other countries

Import charges:
$271.61 (amount confirmed at checkout)  
No additional import charges on delivery "

This is from the sellers page if it helps ,
Message 4 of 34
Latest reply

Import charges

It's over $1,000.    What about GST?   Isn't that payable on that amount?

Message 5 of 34
Latest reply

Import charges

tbt47
Community Member

These links may assist.

https://www.ecustomsbroker.com.au/what-it-costs/ and https://www.dutycalculator.com

For ease and peace of mind I use Custom Brokers on items that cost a reasonable amount - ie in excess of A$1500. 

Yes, you do need to pay for GST.

$271 sounds a tad high for the cost you mentioned, but use the duty calc just to make sure.

Cheers

Message 6 of 34
Latest reply

Import charges

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

I am not sure where you have read that you pay between 0-10% on imports over $1000....that is completely wrong.

Once the item price is over $1000 you pay import fees, taxes and GST on the item amount plus the postage.   In my experience that usually works out at between 20% and 40%, depending on the rate applicable to the particular item.  Most of my items have worked out at about 30-35%

The amount you have been quoted by the GSP sounds correct taking into account the high postage.

When you pay through the GSP you pay the import charges to Pitney Bowes and they in turn pay the charges to Australian Customs.....you will not pay anything more when the item arrives here.

Message 7 of 34
Latest reply

Import charges

" Shipping:

$85.96 International Priority Shipping to Australia  via the Global Shipping Program 

Item location:
Paducah, Kentucky, United States

Ships to:
United States and many other countries

Import charges:
$271.61 (amount confirmed at checkout)  
No additional import charges on delivery "

This is from the sellers page if it helps ,

Doesn't help me; I don't import. It might help you if you parse what it says.

Message 8 of 34
Latest reply

Import charges

thanks everyone for your help.

didnt realize it can cost so much to import certain stuff.

Message 9 of 34
Latest reply

Import charges

Ok. Just brought in $1500au in stock from US.

Original order: $1500au

Shipping: $250au (Would only ship UPS).

GST and customs fee: $250au (as charged by UPS on arrival in Aus).

Message 10 of 34
Latest reply