Intangible

neilonlyneil
Community Member

I was not covered by Paypal's buyer protection becuase they said the item was not tangible.

It was an iTunes card that was mailed sent via the post and could not be redeemed for reasons I will never know.

What is an intangible item?  I would have thought it was the promise of good and services - something you can not post in the mail.

But I was wrong.

Message 1 of 32
Latest reply
31 REPLIES 31

Re: Intangible

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

While a card might be a physical item, there is no way paypal could ever determine if the card contained the full value on it when it was sent to the buyer.  It would be an open invitation to the buyer opening a Not As Described claim. If the seller could prove that it was sent by a qualifying postage method it would be up to paypal to refund the buyer.

Very sensibly they have specifically said the Gift Cards are NOT covered at all....it really does not matter whether they are tangible or intangible....paypal has excluded them, end of story.

Message 21 of 32
Latest reply

neilonlyneil
Community Member

I read the buyer protection information and didn't feel that it was excluding the item I purchased:

How to be eligible for Buyer Protection

Buy physical items that can be shipped.

Pay for your item with PayPal.

Pay for your item in a single payment. Lodge a dispute within 45 days of payment. If you don’t have a PayPal account, you can sign up for one when you lodge the dispute.

It's not so obvious that gift cards are excluded in my opinion.

Message 22 of 32
Latest reply

Yes but YOU ARE NOT BUYING THE CARD.. You are buying what's on the card so you can use it to buy things. After you have used the credit. you throw the card in the bin as it has no value.

Open a dispute with PayPal and argue with them, see how far you get.

Whether or not you feel the item was tangible and shouldn't have been excluded, they are NOT eligible for PayPal buyer protection

You keep using that word, I do not think it means what you think it means
Message 23 of 32
Latest reply

I could be missing something, but I can't see anywhere in the PayPal buyer protection that says Gift Cards are excluded

Message 24 of 32
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

Ineligible Items:

Items equivalent to cash, including prepaid or gift cards.

Message 25 of 32
Latest reply

lyndal1838
Honored Contributor

You will not get very far.....Gift cards are specifically listed as ineligible items.

Message 26 of 32
Latest reply

neilonlyneil
Community Member

The point of this post was to ask what intangible was, in reference to buyer protection.

I DID  open a dispute and it was resolved against me, with the only explanation 'intangible item' - which I did not understand.

The  buyer protection blurb said a you were covered if something was mailed to you and the card was mailed to me.

So I didn't understand. 

Message 27 of 32
Latest reply

I could be missing something, but I can't see anywhere in the PayPal buyer protection that says Gift Cards are excluded

You'll find it at point vii, under clause i (headed your purchase is not for), at this link: https://cms.paypal.com/au/cgi-bin/?cmd=_render-content&content_ID=ua/UserAgreement_full#Schedule%202.%20PayPal%20Buyer%20Protection%20Policy

It's basically a list of goods which can otherwise be defined as tangible, but don't have Buyer Protection (vehicles, real estate, custom made items, pick-up items etc).

Message 28 of 32
Latest reply

The  buyer protection blurb said a you were covered if something was mailed to you and the card was mailed to me.

So I didn't understand. 

If that is what you are basing it on then you did receive what you purchased - a piece of plastic.

If however you were purchasing itunes credit, then it is an intangile item.

Message 29 of 32
Latest reply

OK I understand now, thanks Lyndal and DG

I was actually not being serious in that post, I was just getting fed up trying to explain that a gift card is not tangible despite having something mailed to you..

Next time save yourself some money and get one from Woolworths

Message 30 of 32
Latest reply